Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 143 19.32%
A 160 21.62%
A- 99 13.38%
B+ 82 11.08%
B 58 7.84%
B- 27 3.65%
C+ 40 5.41%
C 38 5.14%
C- 24 3.24%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.73%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 10 2013, 09:15 PM   #4156
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

throwback wrote: View Post
Debating with Admiral Buzzkill is like having a debate with a Teabagger in an irrational reality bubble. It's a waste of time.
Well, that was wholly unnecessary. Infraction for flaming. Comments to PM.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:57 PM   #4157
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Belz,

People have curiosity, or they did. I read that showing people do computer searches (Googling) is a novelty that has worn out its welcome, so why bother showing it? Maybe for you and that other fellow (AB) asking questions and following threads and doing hypothetical thought exercises is a waste of time
You misunderstand. I simply meant that including references to things outside the story is a common occurance, and perfectly fine. It gives the impression that the world is bigger than what you just see in the movie or series or novel, and that's a good way to immerse the viewer or reader.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:18 AM   #4158
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

i keep thinking about when the Enterprise-A, B, C, D and E will be introduced in JJ's timeline if JJ's Enterprise stays around through 2293 (about the same time that the prime E-A was decomissioned) would the prime Universe's Enterprise-B be the alt reality Enterprise-A? and would that make Picard's Enterprise the Enterprise C?
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:35 AM   #4159
Opus
Commodore

What if Spock Prime says, "I've made a vow I wouldn't reveal information about the future and allow your timeline to unfold as it should. That said... the letters after the registry number was a dumb idea..."?
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:36 AM   #4160
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

mattman8907 wrote: View Post
i keep thinking about when the Enterprise-A, B, C, D and E will be introduced in JJ's timeline if JJ's Enterprise stays around through 2293 (about the same time that the prime E-A was decomissioned) would the prime Universe's Enterprise-B be the alt reality Enterprise-A? and would that make Picard's Enterprise the Enterprise C?
The JJ Enterprise is only new. Maybe it'll last another 70-odd years?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 11:49 AM   #4161
throwback
Captain

If starship registries are roughly chronological, and that is a big if, then it is possible that there could be 200 hundred year old ships in operation. I am thinking of the Heart of Gold, which had a registry of NCC-42. I think a ship that old would have gone through so many refits that it might not even be the same ship in the 2160s.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 12:10 PM   #4162
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

mattman8907 wrote: View Post
I doubt this universe will get that far. Maybe Enterprise-A at the end of the third film or something.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 12:42 PM   #4163
Belz...
Fleet Captain

If starship registries are roughly chronological, and that is a big if, then it is possible that there could be 200 hundred year old ships in operation. I am thinking of the Heart of Gold, which had a registry of NCC-42. I think a ship that old would have gone through so many refits that it might not even be the same ship in the 2160s.
Heart of Gold ? Which episode ?

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 01:06 PM   #4164
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Heart_of_Gold

It's from Conspiracy, and it's another one of the in-jokes seen only on LCARS (in this case to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).
Old June 11 2013, 09:00 PM   #4165
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Heart_of_Gold

It's from Conspiracy, and it's another one of the in-jokes seen only on LCARS (in this case to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).
Registration chronology hypothesizing notwithstanding, there doesn't seem to be any way the Heart of Gold could possibly have had another registry number than forty-two, and the side-effects of the Infinite Improbability drive would very likely have rendered the need for refits pretty much irrelevant.
Old June 12 2013, 12:37 AM   #4166
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
And here I was expecting a secret Neil Young cameo.

Sadface.
Old June 12 2013, 02:48 AM   #4167
mos6507
Captain

johnjm22 wrote: View Post
Just saw it a few days ago. I was shocked.

I had my qualms with Abram's 2009 Trek, but overall I enjoyed the experience of watching it. STID however, was dull, cliche, and incredibly stupid.

At some point, the movie stops telling a story, and just becomes a mess of various melodrama laden scenes filled with Star Trek references, idiotic plot holes, rehashed sequences and characters that have to constantly explain themselves in order to advance the narrative.

It felt very rushed and slapped together.

Paramount has been trying to force Trek into an action series for the past 23 years. Its sorta worked twice; this wasn't one of them.
Open question.

Why is it that some people seem to see all the flaws the way you do, and other people just lather on this unconditional praise "Loved it!!! Saw it for the 10th time and loved it even more!!!"?

I understand that taste differs, but the polar opposites that I see here are really baffling. I don't expect people to universally hate the movie, but to at least acknowledge that it has flaws. Your specific issues are not at all unique to your experience. They are what a lot of people, professional critics and average moviegoers alike, have been saying.
Old June 12 2013, 02:54 AM   #4168
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Because sometimes people want to have fun at the movies and Into Darkness is a fun movie. And your not looking in the right threads because many people who like the film haven't been shy about its flaws.
Old June 12 2013, 05:00 AM   #4169
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

mos6507 wrote: View Post

I had my qualms with Abram's 2009 Trek, but overall I enjoyed the experience of watching it. STID however, was dull, cliche, and incredibly stupid.

At some point, the movie stops telling a story, and just becomes a mess of various melodrama laden scenes filled with Star Trek references, idiotic plot holes, rehashed sequences and characters that have to constantly explain themselves in order to advance the narrative.

Paramount has been trying to force Trek into an action series for the past 23 years. Its sorta worked twice; this wasn't one of them.
Open question.

Why is it that some people seem to see all the flaws the way you do, and other people just lather on this unconditional praise "Loved it!!! Saw it for the 10th time and loved it even more!!!"?
How much genuinely unconditional praise have you seen, really? What would you estimate to be the proportion of people giving unconditional praise to people who say—right up front—that they didn't think Star Trek Into Darkness was perfect, yet they still managed to have a good time? Just as a ballpark ratio.

I understand that taste differs, but the polar opposites that I see here are really baffling. I don't expect people to universally hate the movie, but to at least acknowledge that it has flaws. Your specific issues are not at all unique to your experience. They are what a lot of people, professional critics and average moviegoers alike, have been saying.
Plenty of people have acknowledged flaws, beginning with the earliest showings. I read this forum every day; what I'm seeing is a pretty continuous spectrum running from "loved it" to "hated it," and the poll results at the top of this page would seem to support that picture. That you see it as strict polar opposites... well, I can only say that I'm not quite sure how you arrive at that conclusion.
Old June 12 2013, 05:10 AM   #4170
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Open question.

You have an implied criticism of people who love the movie and see it 10 times yet praise for the people who see it your way (naturally).

I think the movie has a lot of flaws and if they stop you from liking it then that's fine. However if other people can overlook the flaws and inconsistencies and blatant homeage then why aren't their opinions as valid as yours.

You imply that all professional movie critics and average moviegoers agree with you and the rest of us are just delusional. I have a different experience with average moviegoers (don't even know Star Trek) who think its a great movie.

But I'm a bit of a nitpicker and every movie has flaws. I see them especially in Star Trek movies because I know it so well. My non-Star Trek friends don't see them. There are more flaws in TSFS or INS or NEM or GEN or TWOK than there are in STID IMO. Do you want me to list them? I could and I probably haven't seen them in 4 years or more. I still like most of those movies.

And opinions differ some people don't like the Nimoy cameo. I love it. You're not going to convince me otherwise., It isn't a flaw though. A flaw might be Khan not being Spanish or Indian or a Sikh or Carol being English or Kirk having blue eyes
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote