Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 9 2013, 08:54 PM   #61
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: J.J. Abrams enters The Twilight Zone

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Best version of TZ ever? 80's.
Only if you've never actually watched the original. I have. No rehash beats stories written by Serling and his contemporaries. JJ isn't fit to get those writers coffee and doughnuts.
Good thing the story is by Sterling then.
Doesn't matter. JJ will fuck it up. [Reese]"That's what he does! THAT'S ALL HE DOES!"[/Reese]

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 04:03 AM   #62
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Only if you've never actually watched the original. I have. No rehash beats stories written by Serling and his contemporaries. JJ isn't fit to get those writers coffee and doughnuts.
Doesn't matter. JJ will fuck it up. [Reese]"That's what he does! THAT'S ALL HE DOES!"[/Reese]
I disagree. Loved both his Trek films. Much closer to TOS than the other films or the spinoffs. Oddly enough people buying tickets seem to agree. I've liked other films and TV shows he's had a hand in as well.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 09:26 AM   #63
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

It always amazes me when people say that it was like TOS. To me it feels like a meanspirited parody. TOS was thoughtful and mature ("The Conscience of the King," "The City On The Edge of Forever," et cetera) while the movie was loud and obnoxious and turned all the characters (except McCoy) into morons, psychopaths and mental defectives. Not to mention all the script problems (the missing Vulcans, the whole Life of Brian sequence and on and on).

The worst thing was that the whole "buckle up" response to an unimaginable holocaust left me with a chill down my spine and a sick feeling in my stomach. Definitely the anti-Trek for me.
Old June 10 2013, 02:57 PM   #64
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
It always amazes me when people say that it was like TOS.
I don't see why, nearly everyone who has seen it feels that it is. For me, nothing has come anywhere near as close to evoking the original than these two movies and at times verging on the uncanny, how close they were.

I'm truely sorry you don't feel the same way, I love TOS and these movies, they're both TOS to me.
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 03:28 PM   #65
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

yenny wrote: View Post
Next we know, he be rebooting Small Wonder, Out of this World, UFO, Lost in SPACE, Time Travel, Land of the Giants, Space 1999 and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
All in one movie.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:27 PM   #66
RJDiogenes

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
It always amazes me when people say that it was like TOS.
I don't see why, nearly everyone who has seen it feels that it is. For me, nothing has come anywhere near as close to evoking the original than these two movies and at times verging on the uncanny, how close they were.

I'm truely sorry you don't feel the same way, I love TOS and these movies, they're both TOS to me.
I wish I could, especially since they found such a great cast. But it is the complete antithesis of everything I loved about TOS.
Old June 10 2013, 10:29 PM   #67
Gojira
Commodore

I wish I could, especially since they found such a great cast. But it is the complete antithesis of everything I loved about TOS.
Abrams Trek brought back those feelings I had watching Star Trek (TOS) as a young kid in the 70s. No Trek movie had been able to do that for me.
Old June 11 2013, 12:32 AM   #68
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I disagree.
Of course you do. Like i could go one post without someone disagreeing with me...

I've liked other films and TV shows he's had a hand in as well.
And i've hated everything i've ever seen with his name on it. Hated. You're welcome to him.

Loved both his Trek films. Much closer to TOS than the other films or the spinoffs. Oddly enough people buying tickets seem to agree.
Lots of people bought tickets to all three Beyformers films. The fact that a bunch of people are sharing the Kool-Aid with you does not automatically mean what you're drinking is good for you. It really only means they're as blind to JJ's lack of creative talent as you are.

-Tom Clancy
Old June 11 2013, 12:41 AM   #69
Gojira
Commodore

Lots of people bought tickets to all three Beyformers films. The fact that a bunch of people are sharing the Kool-Aid with you does not automatically mean what you're drinking is good for you. It really only means they're as blind to JJ's lack of creative talent as you are.
Why can't we have differences of opinions on things like the films we like without resulting in the accusation that those who disagree have somehow drank the Kool-Aid or are blind?

This type of name calling doesn't produce a good conversation.
Old June 11 2013, 12:48 AM   #70
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
Why can't we have differences of opinions on things like the films we like without resulting in the accusation that those who disagree have somehow drank the Kool-Aid or are blind?

He brought up the argument that lots of ticket sales=JJ's doing something right. I brought up the argument that lots of ticket sales doesn't equal anything of the kind. It just means everybody bought tickets to the same crap. I'm stating bluntly that high box office numbers is not an indicator of quality.

-Tom Clancy
Old June 11 2013, 12:52 AM   #71
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I disagree.
Of course you do. Like i could go one post without someone disagreeing with me...
Does it happen that often?

I've liked other films and TV shows he's had a hand in as well.
And i've hated everything i've ever seen with his name on it. Hated. You're welcome to him.
Uh, thanks?

Loved both his Trek films. Much closer to TOS than the other films or the spinoffs. Oddly enough people buying tickets seem to agree.
Hated Transformers, myself. Didn't bother with the sequels. Figured that was the best way to deal with it.

Getting a bit personal there. You might wanna rethink that approach.

RJDiogenes wrote:
It always amazes me when people say that it was like TOS. To me it feels like a meanspirited parody.
Why would that amazing you? I've read a variety of reasons why people enjoyed TOS. As I've aged different parts of the show appealed to me. The reasons I liked TOS when I seven are different than why I like TOS at 54. Mean spirited? In what way?

TOS was thoughtful and mature ("The Conscience of the King," "The City On The Edge of Forever," et cetera) while the movie was loud and obnoxious and turned all the characters (except McCoy) into morons, psychopaths and mental defectives. Not to mention all the script problems (the missing Vulcans, the whole Life of Brian sequence and on and on).
TOS told many types of stories. cherry picking the "thoughtful and mature" episodes don't really show the scope of storytelling in TOS. The characters are no more "morons, psychopaths and mental defectives" in the films than they were in the series. One could easily find example of all three in TOS episodes and films.

The worst thing was that the whole "buckle up" response to an unimaginable holocaust left me with a chill down my spine and a sick feeling in my stomach. Definitely the anti-Trek for me.
Not sure what you're talking about here.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old June 11 2013, 12:56 AM   #72
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post

He brought up the argument that lots of ticket sales=JJ's doing something right. I brought up the argument that lots of ticket sales doesn't equal anything of the kind. It just means everybody bought tickets to the same crap. I'm stating bluntly that high box office numbers is not an indicator of quality.
Never said it ticket sales= quality. All it indicates is popularity. In the entertainment business that means "something right".
Old June 11 2013, 01:00 AM   #73
Gojira
Commodore

Art is subjective. It then comes down to what you like. If you liked JJ Trek you will think it is quality, if you didn't like it, you will think it is crap.

That is why I never get into the it was good or it was crap debate. There is no winner because no one's opinion is wrong, just different. Our views are right for ourselves. I just tell people if I liked it or not and to what degree I liked something or didn't like something.

I agree you can't use the box office as a proof of the quality of a movie. For example, I have loved movies that have bombed at the box office and I have hated movies that did well at the box office.

I really don't think trying to prove or disprove the subjective opinions about our feelings toward a movie can be done.

I can disagree with a person's opinion and tell them why I may like or dislike a movie but I am not going to tell aperson they are wrong for having their opinions.
Old June 11 2013, 09:36 AM   #74
RJDiogenes

Why would that amazing you? I've read a variety of reasons why people enjoyed TOS. As I've aged different parts of the show appealed to me. The reasons I liked TOS when I seven are different than why I like TOS at 54. Mean spirited? In what way?
In the way that it treated the characters. Turning Kirk into a delinquent loser, Spock into a psycho (and Old Spock into a senile failure), Uhura into a bar babe who manipulates superior officers with sex, Scotty into a loser demoted to some useless space shack. Killing off the Vulcans. Bringing up Federation ethics only to mock them.

TOS was thoughtful and mature ("The Conscience of the King," "The City On The Edge of Forever," et cetera) while the movie was loud and obnoxious and turned all the characters (except McCoy) into morons, psychopaths and mental defectives. Not to mention all the script problems (the missing Vulcans, the whole Life of Brian sequence and on and on).
TOS told many types of stories. cherry picking the "thoughtful and mature" episodes don't really show the scope of storytelling in TOS. The characters are no more "morons, psychopaths and mental defectives" in the films than they were in the series. One could easily find example of all three in TOS episodes and films.
Not like the characters in the film. And TOS did tell many types of stories, but it has always been known as the show that at least attempted thoughtful, socially relevant SF (the Vietnam metaphors, the first "inter-racial" kiss et cetera)-- doing a revival written at the level of an Asylum movie does not strike me as consistent with any type of Trek-- not even "Spock's Brain."

Not sure what you're talking about here.
These people not only witnessed, but failed to prevent, the destruction of Vulcan and the deaths of its six billion inhabitants. They frowned a moment and then skipped happily off to the next holocaust. In real life, people who witnessed the terrorist attacks in 2001 ("only" 3000 people) are still suffering emotional issues twelve years later. In nuTrek, it not only rolls right off the characters, but Starfleet chooses to keep them together on the flagship of their depleted fleet under the command of a 25-year-old loser they were about to kick out of the academy. This is weird and creepy behavior, to say the least.
Old June 11 2013, 01:44 PM   #75
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

And TOS did tell many types of stories, but it has always been known as the show that at least attempted thoughtful, socially relevant SF (the Vietnam metaphors, the first "inter-racial" kiss et cetera)-- doing a revival written at the level of an Asylum movie does not strike me as consistent with any type of Trek-- not even "Spock's Brain."
You don't think that global terrorism committed by a genetically enhanced mad man isn't, "socially relevant," today?
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote