RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 807
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 10 2013, 02:19 PM   #16
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Falling Skies, Revolution, and Defiance

I'm sick and tired of Earth based as sci-fi but understand the economic pressures against space opera. Admittedly I groaned when I saw the trailers for Defiance and Revolution, but against my will I have really come to enjoy Defiance. Revolution continues to be rather less enthralling but I'm still watching.

Of the three the most disappointing is still Falling Skies which is just so predictably unoriginal that I'm likely to not watch the third season when we get it. With the weight its got behind it it should be leading the pack, but its easily the worst of the three...
Old June 10 2013, 02:36 PM   #17
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Golden Age of SciFi? The 1990s - B5, Farscape, DS9...

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 03:23 PM   #18
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I haven't seen Defiance, but Revolution is so horrible nothing could be a bigger mess than that.
Old June 10 2013, 03:49 PM   #19
Leonardo T. Dragon
Commander

View Leonardo T. Dragon's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post
... and SG-1.
Old June 10 2013, 04:13 PM   #20
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Leonardo T. Dragon wrote: View Post
... and SG-1.
Oh, sure, and Buffy and Angel and XFiles, and Earth Final Conflict first couple seasons, as well as Andromeda (started in 2000) first couple seasons. And TNG ran mostly in the 1990s and Voyager...

The "..." was meant to show it wasn't an all-compassing list and that it represented "and so on"

Old June 10 2013, 05:53 PM   #21
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Is Defiance still on? My DVR failed to record it 2 or 3 weeks ago and I haven't been bothered to watch it since.
FYI: There was no new episode Memorial Day weekend. Syfy ran movies that Monday, instead of original programming, so maybe you didn't miss anything.
Old June 10 2013, 06:16 PM   #22
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

... and SG-1.
Oh, sure, and Buffy and Angel and XFiles, and Earth Final Conflict first couple seasons, as well as Andromeda (started in 2000) first couple seasons. And TNG ran mostly in the 1990s and Voyager...

The "..." was meant to show it wasn't an all-compassing list and that it represented "and so on"
. . . and Xena.
Old June 10 2013, 10:37 PM   #23
Zod
Commander

Falling Skies is far better than both of those other shows and I watch all three.

Revolution I have been losing interest over time though I have them all recorded. I am about 10 episodes behind.

Defiance messed up and didn't record the last episode so I am now behind by one and I don't even care all that much. It has yet to hook me though I will give it every chance.

Falling Skies is the best Sci Fi on TV right now and its not on for very long each season. When people talk of a golden age of Sci Fi? Well this is surely not it. Sci Fi is almost dead.

These days its all about Fantasy which sometimes has Sci Fi elements. Walking Dead, True Blood and Game of Thrones.
Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 11:34 PM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Falling Skies should be better. But they keep writing scripts that they think are so cool that we won't notice that they're really trying to save some money for the cool special effects in the final battle four episode down the line.

Seriously in season one they had a two parter that was basically Hansel and Gretel.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 12:42 AM   #25
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

... and SG-1.

. . . and Xena.
Children just don't understand.

The Golden Age of sci-fi was when sci-fi was mainstream entertainment and not just a nerd-niche, which means THE FIFTIES AND THE SIXTIES. That was when sci-fi was everywhere and studios, networks and publishers saw it as a go-to subject for making money and therefore didn't wring their hands as much about producing it.

-Godzilla, King Of The Monsters
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 02:29 AM   #26
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

. . . and Xena.

The Golden Age of sci-fi was when sci-fi was mainstream entertainment and not just a nerd-niche, which means THE FIFTIES AND THE SIXTIES. That was when sci-fi was everywhere and studios, networks and publishers saw it as a go-to subject for making money and therefore didn't wring their hands as much about producing it.
Oh, I thought that was the Bronze Age

I'm 49

Old June 11 2013, 04:37 AM   #27
Mr Light
Admiral

my sci-fi tv golden age was the late 90s... B5, DS9, VOY, EFC, Buffy, Herc/Xena (didn't watch em but they were around)...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 05:26 AM   #28
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
my sci-fi tv golden age was the late 90s... B5, DS9, VOY, EFC, Buffy, Herc/Xena (didn't watch em but they were around)...

But is that the Golden age...or the Third Age?
Morpheus 02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:04 AM   #29
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

By Sheridan's account, the third age is when we make our own SCI FI with mobile phone cameras and post it on youtube.

We have the tools.

Now, all we need is the will.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; June 11 2013 at 07:53 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:31 AM   #30
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Oh dear god, please don't let this be the golden age of science fiction.
Well, this is the Golden Age of Television... even if when people list the best series of this era, it takes a long while to get it any sci-fi shows. I guess we'll eventually get a couple that are good - the praise Orphan Black gets suggests it's probably better than all three of these shows combined.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

In the fifties, science fiction film was the purview of low budget B-movies, and sci-fi TV was stuff like Captain Video. Works like The Day The Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet were unusual, applying a pristine Hollywood style in the former and a glossy, expensive MGM look for the latter in a genre that didn't exactly get money thrown at it.