Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

View Poll Results: Is "Pilgrim of Eternity" good enough for your sense of continuity?
Yes, it felt enough like the real thing. 47 77.05%
No, I can only accept what's on TV or film. 10 16.39%
I don't know. 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 8 2013, 07:11 PM   #76
feek61
Captain

Re: "Pilgrim Of Eternity" - is it good enough?

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Yes, the plan is for James to phase out (har har), after "Kitumba." We shot a vignette last year which introduces our new Captain Kirk (Mr. Brian Gross) and our new Enterprise design from the old (and ill-fated) Phase II series.

Looks great Greg. I love the cross between the TOS and TMP Enterprise. The CG work is awesome!!! Hey where did you get that prismatic stuff on the chevron behind Kirk? I need some of that!!
Old June 8 2013, 07:36 PM   #77
igrokbok
Commodore

it was very well done, but does it feel like the real thing to me? Hardly. if I did felt that way it would be the nostalgia talking. It certainly does LOOK like the real thing, I'll give you that. But that initial joy of familiarity can't get me over the hump of the actors, some better than others, trying to be Shatner and company. They're just not that good. And it's to be expected, they're not professionals. Until true professionals take the roles, across the board, it will never "feel" like the real thing. But it does look amazing.
igrokbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 07:57 PM   #78
marksound
Fleet Captain

What comes across in NV/P2 as well as STC is that some of the actors are comfortable in their roles, and some aren't.

Some will improve, and others won't.

I don't remember who it was, but NV/P2 at one time had a young man playing Chekov who was very good. I think he's moved on now, but I enjoyed his performance.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 01:13 AM   #79
Gary7
Rear Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Yes, the plan is for James to phase out (har har), after "Kitumba." We shot a vignette last year which introduces our new Captain Kirk (Mr. Brian Gross) and our new Enterprise design from the old (and ill-fated) Phase II series.
Gross looks like he's doing a good job. Yet I have to admit, that with the long distance shot I immediately thought of Lt. Hadley instead of Kirk.
Old June 9 2013, 01:37 AM   #80
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
What comes across in NV/P2 as well as STC is that some of the actors are comfortable in their roles, and some aren't.

Some will improve, and others won't.

I don't remember who it was, but NV/P2 at one time had a young man playing Chekov who was very good. I think he's moved on now, but I enjoyed his performance.
Do you mean Andy Bray? He was good.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 05:30 PM   #81
TrekGirl
Ensign

View TrekGirl's Twitter Profile

Mr. Gross is fine, but I must say that without Mr. Cawley's charismatic presence, it just won't be the same for me. I'm sure I will get used it eventually
TrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:42 PM   #82
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think efforts like these, while neat, only magnify the fact that Roddenberry and Company caught some very special lightning in the bottle nearly fifty years ago.

Pilgrims of Eternity was entertaining but suffers from many of the same flaws other TOS fan films: they use sixties sets and sixties uniforms but the stories just don't match the setting.

Some thoughts:

What exactly was the point of the Counselor? Beautiful actress though. Gene would've approved.

Why didn't the crispy-fried redshirt point his phaser away from the hull?

The roles the women played here made the Abrams films look downright progressive.

So, does a plague wipe out Apollo's little world at some point and then he holds Kirk responsible for not checking up on them? The Wrath of Apollo anyone?

Spock reminds me of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. That's not a good thing.

The actor playing Kirk needs to remember he's playing Kirk not William Shatner.
Old June 10 2013, 12:15 AM   #83
Warped9
Admiral

Shatner's performance of Kirk did change over the course of the series. What we see in "Pilgrim Of Eternity" is much more like the third season Kirk than the first season.

I agree that elements from outside TOS feel odd in such a production, particularly those elements from contemporary Trek such as TNG. Mind you some of those things could have been tweaked. The Counselor could have been given a different title and her role could have been more like that of ELizabeth Dehner or Helen Noel and then she mightn't have seemed so out of place. The holodeck is so associated with TNG and contemporary Trek that it almost doesn't matter the concept was introduced much, much earlier in TAS (the same can be said for TNG's main theme which is really a lift of the TMP main theme).

I also agree with the stories. I think STC did a better job of it than anyone else, but there is something about a lot of the fan film stories that feels like contemporary Trek. It might be understandable since a lot of those involved in the productions could have been weaned on TNG and the rest rather than TOS.
Old June 10 2013, 02:50 AM   #84
Gary7
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think efforts like these, while neat, only magnify the fact that Roddenberry and Company caught some very special lightning in the bottle nearly fifty years ago.
I agree. There was a very good chemistry between the lead actors in TOS, something that TNG was not able to capture. While Stewart has greater acting ability and depth than Shatner, he had rather two dimensional characters to lean against (Riker, Crusher).

Pilgrims of Eternity was entertaining but suffers from many of the same flaws other TOS fan films: they use sixties sets and sixties uniforms but the stories just don't match the setting.
I don't understand how the stories need to be done in a more advanced setting, say something like TNG. Stories depend upon characters and the sets are only there to facilitate the story.

What exactly was the point of the Counselor? Beautiful actress though. Gene would've approved.
The same reason why TNG had a counselor. That this is a position that has a purpose. Remember, this is the first episode of STC. Who knows how this character will evolve. I have a feeling that since the actress is Vic's fiancee, she'll likely figure prominently... as counselor, advisor, etc.

Why didn't the crispy-fried redshirt point his phaser away from the hull?
I thought the very same thing. Let go of the trigger or point it away. I suspect that somehow the alien material formed an energy field over the crewman, making him unable to move and let go of the phaser. Unfortunately, we didn't see a visible effect of this.

The roles the women played here made the Abrams films look downright progressive.
It's like they captured the spirit of TOS to the core, even the depiction of women's roles. I hope that they evolve this aspect of their work.

The actor playing Kirk needs to remember he's playing Kirk not William Shatner.
What about Cawley's Kirk? I feel like your criticism is more aptly applied to him. Vic does channel some Shatner characteristics, but it also feels like he is creating his own persona of Kirk. It seems well balanced to me. I think you just need to give it a chance.
Old June 10 2013, 03:43 AM   #85
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Gary7 wrote: View Post
What about Cawley's Kirk?
If we were talking about Phase II I would've commented on Cawley's version of the character. I don't think it's fair to compare the guy's performance to Cawley or Chris Pine for that matter. This version is picking up where Shatner left off in 1969 so that's who I'm going to compare him to.
Old June 10 2013, 11:12 PM   #86
Warped9
Admiral

For some fun pics go here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Just click on the pic to go to the next ones.
Old June 11 2013, 12:04 AM   #87
feek61
Captain

For the sake of not upsetting people fellow members; this post has been eliminated (see below post)

Thanks

Last edited by feek61; June 11 2013 at 01:43 AM.
feek61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 12:28 AM   #88
Captain Atkin
Commander

Not too get too nit-picky, Warped9 and Feek61, but you both posted the same Facebook posts in the other "STC" thread. Thats getting a bit repetitive, don't you think?

If anything, the two above posts were better suited to the other thread.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 01:30 AM   #89
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I've been a fan for decades, and I've never understood the Trek fan obsession with what an outside upper authority sanctions as "real fiction" vs. "fake fiction." It's all fiction. There are no different levels of fiction reality.

Did you like it or didn't you like it is really the only question that matters.
Old June 11 2013, 02:39 AM   #90
igrokbok
Commodore

"What exactly was the point of the Counselor?...

The same reason why TNG had a counselor. That this is a position that has a purpose. Remember, this is the first episode of STC. Who knows how this character will evolve. I have a feeling that since the actress is Vic's fiancee, she'll likely figure prominently... as counselor, advisor, etc."

Jim Kirk already has a "counselor/advisor etc ". His name is Leonard McCoy.
igrokbok is offline   Reply With Quote