RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 436
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.28%
A 161 21.55%
A- 101 13.52%
B+ 83 11.11%
B 58 7.76%
B- 27 3.61%
C+ 40 5.35%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.82%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 9 2013, 08:40 PM   #4141
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

johnjm22 wrote: View Post
Paramount has been trying to force Trek into an action series for the past 23 years. Its sorta worked twice; this wasn't one of them.
Box office revenues disagree with you. I know it's your opinion that it sucks, but it doesn't mean anything objectively.

Star Trek has primarily been drama/science fiction, with action being secondary.
That's your opinion. NBC sexed it up after the first pilot because they believed, rightly so in my opinion, that it wouldn't catch on.
Old June 9 2013, 11:01 PM   #4142
KittyDuran
Lieutenant Commander

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I saw STID again for the 3rd time yesterday looking out for certain things. I noticed that there was a reasonable gender and racial distribution in Starfleet, on the Enterprise and in the street scenes. In San Francisco I thought the costuming of a future Earth was pretty good - a mixture of old and new dress. I think the mixture of street cars with hover cars was interesting.
I thought they were all hover (including a fabled street car) - might have to see it again!
KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:03 PM   #4143
KittyDuran
Lieutenant Commander

I hadn't considered that the Enterprise had actually dropped out of warp in the ocean, but that would have been fantastic to watch. I think it's more likely they arrived under the cover of darkness after observing the local population to ensure that no one was watching.
When Scotty tells Kirk how silly it is for a starship to be on the bottom of an ocean - he mentions that they have been there since last night - so it was probably under a cover of darkness.
KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 02:34 AM   #4144
James Tiberius Kirk
Fleet Captain

Just got back from seeing it, and I have rather mixed feelings. One one hand, it was reasonably coherent and altogether pleasant action movie, and I was liking it early on. But as the film progressed, I couldn't really stomach the odd sort of 90% TWOK, 5% TUC and 5% TNG evil admiral of the week pastiche it became, complete with lines and scenes lifted essentially verbatim.

I think the story of a rogue Section 31 agent out for revenge against a corrupt admiral would have been far more interesting than a retread of Khan. While it was interesting to see some of the stuff from TWOK reinterpreted, I really don't think that much of it works outside of TWOK's thematic framework. Spock's death in TWOK is very nicely played against the underlying discussions of aging and mortality that pervade the movie, whereas Kirk's 5-minute pseudo-death seems to come from a need to keep the stakes high and shoehorn in the gratuitous TWOK reference.

In the end, I think Into Darkness' biggest failing, in some ways carried over from ST '09, is that everything has to be HUGE and FAST, which makes it very difficult for anything to have much impact. Kirk having to face the reality of death rings somewhat hollow if he hasn't gone around for 20 years cheating it. Khan's appearance is essentially just a namedrop if none of his unique aspects as a character have time to develop. It feels to me like Abrams and co are attempting to use an emotional shorthand through references to the past films and pastiche, rather than having genuine character development, and I think that's a shame. I think this film had potential, but it shouldn't have been burdened with trying to be TWOK.
Old June 10 2013, 06:06 AM   #4145
throwback
Captain

For me, after having read the comics, I am puzzled about the connection between Countdown to Darkness to this film. The connections between the prequel comics to the first film were better established.

They set up interesting threads that could have been explored in this film. Sulu was contacted by Section 31 in one comic - why wasn't that exploited for this film? And, in another comic, Kirk blundered into a top secret project hatched by Section 31.

I wouldn't be asking these questions, if Robert Orci wasn't involved with the comics.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:25 AM   #4146
Belz...
Fleet Captain

throwback wrote: View Post
For me, after having read the comics, I am puzzled about the connection between Countdown to Darkness to this film. The connections between the prequel comics to the first film were better established.
I had the same thought. Even before seeing the movie, I doubted the connection would be as well-made as the previous movie's.
Old June 10 2013, 10:32 AM   #4147
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

They set up interesting threads that could have been explored in this film. Sulu was contacted by Section 31 in one comic - why wasn't that exploited for this film? And, in another comic, Kirk blundered into a top secret project hatched by Section 31.

I wouldn't be asking these questions, if Robert Orci wasn't involved with the comics.
The audience would have been so confused they would have all gotten seizures.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 06:15 PM   #4148
AnnLouise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

My girlfriend, who has become a big Trek fan in the last few years, has stated before that she never felt the emotional connection to ships as a lot fans do (except perhaps for DS9), and was always more emotionally invested in the characters and stories. Here, were the Enterprise was crashing, she told me she was talking to herself and going 'please don't crash her'. The first time she ever called a ship 'her'.
Yep, the small subset of female ST fans who consider the ship the real star of the series. Myself included. I got upset watching STWOK on BR this weekend when Spok showed the damage from Khan's first attack!
Old June 10 2013, 06:32 PM   #4149
throwback
Captain

I don't think the audience would have been confused. The younger generation would have been familiar with examples like the Mass Effect video game franchise, where a character introduced in a novel is given a role in a game.

The studio was attempting to spruce up interest in this film before it premiered through the comics, the video game, and several sites. I think the attempt failed because the pieces weren't well connected, and it didn't help that the video game was universally panned.
Old June 10 2013, 06:34 PM   #4150
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It would have been absurd for them to carry important story points from the comic book into the movie, and would have unnecessarily confused a good portion of the audience.

Comics and other merchandising exist to make money for the studio. Ideally the comic attracts interest to the movie, but it's not the job of the filmmakers to support the comic.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:30 PM   #4151
throwback
Captain

Using what I have seen before, have a character mentioned briefly that Section 31 was looking into recruiting Sulu into their organization. Then, have Sulu accept a role into this organization, and, while he is in there, have him find the truth. Sites which are dedicated to finding these Easter Eggs would inform readers, "Hey, in such-and-such comic, this recruitment was first brought up." The film becomes a tie-in into the comics. People who buy the comics might become more interested in the rest of the franchise. A little promotion of other products doesn't hurt.

The thing about Kirk stepping on S31's toes is that it was curiosity that brought him to Beta III to investigate the rumors of a lost Federation starship. Curiosity is akin to the drive for exploration.

(We saw this in the latest film, where they did a mention to the Mudd Incident and to the Gorn mother, which reference the comics and the video game, respectively. If I wasn't as informed about Star Trek as a I am, I think I would find these references confusing.

And about important story points, how many story points were raised in the comics that were later important to the story in ST 09?)
Old June 10 2013, 07:48 PM   #4152
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Sites which are dedicated to finding these Easter Eggs would inform readers, "Hey, in such-and-such comic, this recruitment was first brought up." The film becomes a tie-in into the comics.
Meaningless to 99 percent of moviegoers and a waste of the film's running time.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:50 PM   #4153
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Using what I have seen before, have a character mentioned briefly that Section 31 was looking into recruiting Sulu into their organization. Then, have Sulu accept a role into this organization, and, while he is in there, have him find the truth. Sites which are dedicated to finding these Easter Eggs would inform readers, "Hey, in such-and-such comic, this recruitment was first brought up." The film becomes a tie-in into the comics. People who buy the comics might become more interested in the rest of the franchise. A little promotion of other products doesn't hurt.

The thing about Kirk stepping on S31's toes is that it was curiosity that brought him to Beta III to investigate the rumors of a lost Federation starship. Curiosity is akin to the drive for exploration.

(We saw this in the latest film, where they did a mention to the Mudd Incident and to the Gorn mother, which reference the comics and the video game, respectively. If I wasn't as informed about Star Trek as a I am, I think I would find these references confusing.

And about important story points, how many story points were raised in the comics that were later important to the story in ST 09?)
You were confused by a couple of throwaway lines? Why?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:07 PM   #4154
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Why ? Noodle incident, that's all.
Old June 10 2013, 08:18 PM   #4155
throwback
Captain

I was not confused by the Mudd Incident nor the Gorn. I am an avid Star Trek fan. I have read however that some are confused by the reference to Khan.

Debating with Admiral Buzzkill is like having a debate with a Teabagger in an irrational reality bubble. It's a waste of time.

Belz,

People have curiosity, or they did. I read that showing people do computer searches (Googling) is a novelty that has worn out its welcome, so why bother showing it? Maybe for you and that other fellow (AB) asking questions and following threads and doing hypothetical thought exercises is a waste of time, but for someone like me, it's fun. Or it would be, if there wasn't such latent hostility against it.

People might not like my tone, but I do feel that there is something unpleasant in your remarks. And, please don't give me the line - what we say is not who we are. The thoughts come from your mind, and if they didn't come from your mind, where they did come from then?