RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,887
Posts: 5,386,568
Members: 24,713
Currently online: 493
Newest member: colton123412345

TrekToday headlines

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 9 2013, 07:23 PM   #6346
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Jor-El- This is MADNESS!
This... is... KRYPTON!!!!
__________________
Player: I thought you were dead.
Revan: Only somewhat.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 07:35 PM   #6347
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Gojira wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
In the name of realism? In a film about flying super-gods?
Snyder is on record saying that one of the premises of the movie is "how would we respond and what would it be like if this was really happening?"
I would think that is about the emotional reactions because there is no way around the fact that the subject matter is inherently stupid from a scientific perspective.

And yet, we are all here on this board because we're fans of a television show that some would consider similarly stupid in the science department (especially the current movie based on said TV show.)
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:04 PM   #6348
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Gojira wrote: View Post

Snyder is on record saying that one of the premises of the movie is "how would we respond and what would it be like if this was really happening?"
I would think that is about the emotional reactions because there is no way around the fact that the subject matter is inherently stupid from a scientific perspective.

And yet, we are all here on this board because we're fans of a television show that some would consider similarly stupid in the science department (especially the current movie based on said TV show.)
I don't see the problem? Star Trek is largely nonsensical when it comes to science but it is still an enjoyable show - the two aren't mutually exclusive.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 05:31 AM   #6349
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I don't see the problem? Star Trek is largely nonsensical when it comes to science but it is still an enjoyable show - the two aren't mutually exclusive.
Then, so should this movie.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:00 AM   #6350
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I don't see the problem? Star Trek is largely nonsensical when it comes to science but it is still an enjoyable show - the two aren't mutually exclusive.
Then, so should this movie.
Yes? You've lost me because I've never claim differently - you are arguing against a strawman - a position that I don't hold.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 04:53 PM   #6351
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I didn't notice that Trekker had come back. And he's seen the movie. Not gonna read his review just yet.

Looks like we're ready for a grading thread. Is Obiwan around to put one up? I can do it if he's not.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 05:35 PM   #6352
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Yeah, I'm a bit anxious to see what the critics are gonna say today. The early reaction from preview screenings and the smaller sites has been great, but usually the mainstream critics tend to bring things a bit more down to earth.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 06:14 PM   #6353
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 06:58 PM   #6354
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Ha bloody ha.

The thing about this scene and the way it's similar to something from the Nolanverse Batman movies tells something about how it had to be this way for Man Of Steel due to the way that Superman Returns was received by fanbois and the public alike (Superman [Brandon Routh] is too 'gay', the plot took too long to happen, etc.) Better put up with this, because it's what we'll be getting for a while.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:04 PM   #6355
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

SR Superman was "too gay"? Now that's a criticism I hadn't heard before.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:28 PM   #6356
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I've heard it before, but I still don't get it.

As for SR, I watched it again last weekend, and as much as I loved it before, it now seems almost painfully small and limited in scope compared to what we're seeing from MOS. I can kind of understand now why so many were underwhelmed by it, and why people are so much more excited by what they're seeing from MOS.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:32 PM   #6357
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Where my heart is.
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 09:00 PM   #6358
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

davejames wrote: View Post
I've heard it before, but I still don't get it.

As for SR, I watched it again last weekend, and as much as I loved it before, it now seems almost painfully small and limited in scope compared to what we're seeing from MOS. I can kind of understand now why so many were underwhelmed by it, and why people are so much more excited by what they're seeing from MOS.
I agree. From what we have seen Superman Returns looks very anemic compared to the Man of Steel. I still like Superman Returns....but it could have been better.
__________________
My Science Fiction-Fantasy movie review Blog: http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 04:49 AM   #6359
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Cinemablend Four Star review.

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/M...teel-6446.html
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 04:57 AM   #6360
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
__________________
My name is Max. My world is fire and blood. - Mad Max: Fury Road coming May 15, 2015
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.