Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 9 2013, 12:53 PM   #16
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: (Your) Greatest Trek Fantasy

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
How do you figure?
Kirk and Picard had their run which was followed by the movies, I expected a film for the other two.

IMO = In my opinion.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:45 PM   #17
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: My Greatest Trek Fantasy

Vulcan Logician wrote: View Post
Allow me my dream, though it will never come to fruition, and undoubtedly it's been thought of before:

A "Next Gen" trilogy of feature-length films featuring the cast of TNG, DS9, and VOY (as crotchety as they are) which would further the cannon and succinctly tie up the Next Gen franchise and (perhaps) lay the groundwork for a new "post gen" series down the road.

Each movie would concentrate on a different setting TNG enterprise, DS9, Voyager, but with an intertwined plot (A Borg-dominion alliance, perhaps). As we will never see another production with these characters, it could be action-packed, though not Abrams-style. The Sisko returns, some characters die off, we get to see interaction between characters from all three Next Gen shows. Mr. JJ can stay the hell away from this, as it will be CLASSIC trek format (though I am not a huge JJ hater or anything).

What do you think? Wouldn't that be awesome? Of course it will never happen, but it COULD happen.
For anyone who reads Star Trek novels, the Typhon Pact series offers a scenario somewhat similar to this, as it features characters from multiple television series. I'll avoid saying anything further for those of you who haven't yet read these books, but I would definitely recommend them if you have the chance: they're fascinating and definitely worth reading.

Back to the matter at hand, a film featuring multiple television casts is an interesting idea, but it would be difficult to bring so many actors and actresses together for a single movie. A TV mini-series seems much more realistic, as it could be comprised of a handful of episodes- each a few hours in length- that feature specific cast members at different times, but do not showcase the characters all at once.

A Borg-Dominion alliance doesn't seem a realistic premise for a new series or film. An armed conflict between the two powers is more likely, and I think, a more interesting exposition for another film. In any case, I would enjoy seeing the events of the primary timeline featured in some fashion, as I've enjoyed the way that the novels have addressed what's happened post-Nemesis.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 02:41 AM   #18
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

Could a founder be assimilated? I think not. If a Jem'Hadar were assimilated, would he still require Ketracel White? If so, Borg assimilation of the Dominion might be quite impossible. Perhaps a foundation for an unlikely "alliance". (of course "alliance" is in quotes because such a union would obviously be dictated by ulterior motives on both sides.) I'm not saying it's realistic. I'm saying "Use your imagination"
Vulcan Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 02:58 AM   #19
Sran
Fleet Captain

Could a founder be assimilated? I think not. If a Jem'Hadar were assimilated, would he still require Ketracel White? If so, Borg assimilation of the Dominion might be quite impossible. Perhaps a foundation for an unlikely "alliance". (of course "alliance" is in quotes because such a union would obviously be dictated by ulterior motives on both sides.) I'm not saying it's realistic. I'm saying "Use your imagination"
I doubt if his addiction would persist. After all, humanoid species do not require food or drink once they've been assimilated. It's likely that the Collective would provide whatever nourishment he needed.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 04:24 AM   #20
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

Interesting point, Sran. But Jem'Hadar are at a genetic level, required to imbibe Katracel White to exist. It is more (I assume) than the mitochondria of their cells requiring glucose. The borg nanoprobes adapt the organism to the collective. The collective cannot change the physiological requirements of a species. It simply provides these requirements in a different way than intended by nature. Am I mistaken?
Old June 10 2013, 04:46 PM   #21
Sran
Fleet Captain

Interesting point, Sran. But Jem'Hadar are at a genetic level, required to imbibe Katracel White to exist. It is more (I assume) than the mitochondria of their cells requiring glucose. The borg nanoprobes adapt the organism to the collective. The collective cannot change the physiological requirements of a species. It simply provides these requirements in a different way than intended by nature. Am I mistaken?
I don't know the answer to that question.

--Sran
Old June 11 2013, 12:29 AM   #22
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

Sran wrote: View Post
I don't know the answer to that question.

--Sran
I don't think anybody does.
Old June 11 2013, 12:42 AM   #23
Sran
Fleet Captain

I don't think anybody does.
I think you're right.

--Sran
Old June 14 2013, 01:03 PM   #24
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Once the Borg assimilate a Ketracel White processing facility, couldn't they build a Jem'Hadar Cube that produces it or a small personal processor on each assimilated Jem'Hadar? The effort would go toward a tactical drone with the abillity to cloak.
Old June 14 2013, 06:44 PM   #25
Sran
Fleet Captain

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Once the Borg assimilate a Ketracel White processing facility, couldn't they build a Jem'Hadar Cube that produces it or a small personal processor on each assimilated Jem'Hadar? The effort would go toward a tactical drone with the abillity to cloak.
Makes sense to me. The only issue is whether the Borg view such an exercise as an efficient use of resources. A cube manned exclusively by Jem'Hadar would seem to contradict the Borg mantra of adding a species' biological and technological distinctiveness to the Collective's own, as the assimilated Jem'Hadar would be kept separate from the other drones.

--Sran
Old June 15 2013, 01:44 PM   #26
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
The only issue is whether the Borg view such an exercise as an efficient use of resources. A cube manned exclusively by Jem'Hadar would seem to contradict the Borg mantra of adding a species' biological and technological distinctiveness to the Collective's own, as the assimilated Jem'Hadar would be kept separate from the other drones.
I was thinking more of a Jem'Hadar section of a cube, where Jem'Hadar are given Ketracel White, and later, after they assimilate a cloning facility, they could clone Jem'Hadar there too. A cube that assimilates and produces Borg.
Old June 19 2013, 03:59 AM   #27
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just endure the dominion onslaught? I know the Borg adapt, but do they really posses the "tolerance" required to provide for the needs of an especially difficult species? Plus, the borg could probably not assimilate a founder. Major flaw.
Old June 19 2013, 10:48 PM   #28
stj
Rear Admiral

Perhaps 8472 could go back to its original characterization. They come back from fluidic space to kill off all the other species (it seemed like this telepathic species couldn't cope mentally with the mere existence of an other and perceived it as an affront by an inferior?) But to be safe, they come back in Gamma Quadrant and start annihilating Dominion planets.

Enterprise as the flagship and DS9 as the gateway come in obviously. And Janeway et al. come in as experienced with 8472. If you want to go dark and gritty Janeway can do the crazy admiral and make another alliance with the Borg. (Cue Seven of Nine!)
Old June 22 2013, 08:53 PM   #29
publiusr
Commodore

That would be a great cross-over in-universe.

A Star Wars/ Star Trek cross-over would beat Avengers at the box-office.

But where to start writing it...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote