RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,833
Posts: 5,327,149
Members: 24,551
Currently online: 610
Newest member: Mycroft

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 9 2013, 08:38 PM   #541
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

I think we've already covered that some of the close shots have lens distortion.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 09:00 PM   #542
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Belz... wrote: View Post
I think we've already covered that some of the close shots have lens distortion.
It's not just that.
At the end, after the refit, the bridge-window and the dome above are different.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 09:02 PM   #543
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
It seems the USS Vengeance may actually be larger than we thought. It's 2.5x the Enterprise's size in this graphic:
Yeah, but when you're highlighting/targeting another vessel, it makes sense for it to enlarge on the display to make it easier to fix on a certain location, in this case the airlock.

The two ships lined up face to face pretty much right along the centerline, so I think that's probably the best judge of scale until (if) we get something more definitive like an artbook or concept art with the dimensions.

__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 09:31 PM   #544
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

beamMe wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
I think we've already covered that some of the close shots have lens distortion.
It's not just that.
At the end, after the refit, the bridge-window and the dome above are different.
We don't know about the window after the refit, because we didn't get to see them. The different windows are from before the refit.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:07 PM   #545
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

I'd say the small Hot Wheels ship looks to be in scale with the big Vengence version.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:19 PM   #546
Gonzo
Lieutenant
 
Location: England
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
It seems the USS Vengeance may actually be larger than we thought. It's 2.5x the Enterprise's size in this graphic:


And here's the ever-changing bridge window. It seems the taller, narrower veraion seen when the Enterprise is on the Klingon border and again at the very end correctly matches the window on the set (which has a definite height of 8', I guesstimated a width of 25'):

Forgive the shitty quality of the pics, they're from YouTube clips. Enterprise pic from www.cygnus-x1.net.
It definitely looks more like 3 times the size especially in width and length but perhaps not in depth, I am talking about the difference between the two ships not the front view.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:13 PM   #547
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Belz... wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
I think we've already covered that some of the close shots have lens distortion.
It's not just that.
At the end, after the refit, the bridge-window and the dome above are different.
We don't know about the window after the refit, because we didn't get to see them. The different windows are from before the refit.
We do see it in the movie.
I think the second picture in King Daniel Into Darkness' post is from the end of the film - I could be wrong though.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:45 PM   #548
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

No I checked very closely when I saw it the second time around. We don't see the ship from the front.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:51 PM   #549
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

I really wouldn't try to look for consistency or sense in this. Clearly the filmmakers prefer composition over consistency, in every aspect of filmmaking, from writing to filming to editing.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 12:29 AM   #550
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I really wouldn't try to look for consistency or sense in this. Clearly the filmmakers prefer composition over consistency, in every aspect of filmmaking, from writing to filming to editing.
I'd be more inclined to take this seriously if you weren't using something as silly as the slightly inconsistent size of a window to make your point. That doesn't exactly bode well for the quality of the rest of your complaints.

Also:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...t-problems.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...lsior-size.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...berth-size.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...akira-size.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...delta-size.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/bop-size.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...ip_classes.htm

Inconsistencies in Trek didn't originate with and aren't exclusive to JJ Abrams and his team.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 12:32 AM   #551
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I really wouldn't try to look for consistency or sense in this. Clearly the filmmakers prefer composition over consistency, in every aspect of filmmaking, from writing to filming to editing.
I'd be more inclined to take this seriously if you weren't using something as silly as the slightly inconsistent size of a window to make your point. That doesn't exactly bode well for the quality of the rest of your complaints.

Also:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...t-problems.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...lsior-size.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...berth-size.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...akira-size.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...delta-size.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/bop-size.htm
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...ip_classes.htm

Inconsistencies in Trek didn't originate with and aren't exclusive to JJ Abrams and his team.
Difference is that those inconsistencies span over several episodes and films, sometimes meaning different creative teams. But the Abramstrek films are inconsistent within themselves.

And I don't even think that's negative. They prefer style over continuity, why not? But I just wouldn't look for consistency (and fight battles over it) where none is.


Oh and I wasn't the one talking about the bridge window, that was King Daniel Into Darkness.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 12:41 AM   #552
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Oh and I wasn't the one talking about the bridge window, that was King Daniel Into Darkness.
Yeah, but he's just discussing it as a curiosity. You extended it to a commentary on the entire film and the filmmakers, instead of just a VFX oddity, which is silly.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:26 AM   #553
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Oh and I wasn't the one talking about the bridge window, that was King Daniel Into Darkness.
Yeah, but he's just discussing it as a curiosity. You extended it to a commentary on the entire film and the filmmakers, instead of just a VFX oddity, which is silly.
In a 200 million dollar production, there is no such thing as a VFX oddity. The camera zooming in on Kirk standing behind the bridge window is an elaborate shot that needed a specifically created CG model. So if that one is different to the other model, it is clearly because the filmmakers favor composition over continuity. They didn't go: "oh gee, we wanted Kirk standing behind the big glass viewscreen, but the model doesn't have that window, so let's skip that shot".

It's basically the same thing as 78 decks on the Enterprise-A in The Final Frontier. Shatner wanted an exciting scene in a turbolift shaft. So he decided continuity wasn't as important as the excitement of the sequence.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:46 AM   #554
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
In a 200 million dollar production, there is no such thing as a VFX oddity.
That is plainly wrong.

Also, you seem to think the director is some sort of omniscient micro-managing deity, and that every single aspect and decision of a massive production lasting months to a year and employing thousands of people receives exactly the same level of scrutiny and choice from them.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:47 AM   #555
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
In a 200 million dollar production, there is no such thing as a VFX oddity.
That is plainly wrong.
It really isn't.


Also, you seem to think the director is some sort of omniscient micro-managing deity, and that every single aspect and decision of a massive production lasting months to a year and employing thousands of people receives exactly the same level of scrutiny and choice from them.
He doesn't have to. The script says "The camera zooms in on Kirk looking out of the window" and the director works with the storyboard artist and director of cinematography and the VFX supervisor on that scene. And at some point the VFX supervisor realizes that the ship model they currently have doesn't have such a big window. And they change that to fit the vision of the director.
The director doesn't even have to know about that, but the change happens.

And as a result, you get inconsistent shots, one with a big window, one with small windows. But none of those individual shots is an oddity.


Heck, and I do think Abrams is very involved. At the end of the film, the Enterprise has a larger impulse engine, it's a refit. They didn't just do that for the heck of it because one of the 3D modelers had too much spare time and just slipped that modified version into the pipeline unnoticed. That's a conscious decision that the director certainly approved of.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
argument, size, starship

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.