TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 5 2013, 08:26 PM   #211
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

the G-man wrote: View Post
She was wearing a red shirt in Don's near death experience/drug-induced hallucination. We know what that means.

But seriously, the more I think about it, the more I think the theory of Megan dying may be correct. In fact, I'm leaning toward this theory
Frack, now I have to watch the episode again. The guy who wrote this piece has definitly fallen down the rabbit hole although he might still turn out to be right about the big picture. His comment about the apartment number being the same as the NY highway to Woodstock, his describing of the look on Don's face as a look of "disbelief" are all major reaches, I think.

But the dreams at the party...when Megan said, "I live here", I took it to mean that the Megan in Don's dream lived "there". But I'd forgotten that Dinkins in the dream also said "I live here". That is significant.

While watching the episode, I was a bit taken aback by Megan's warning to Don to be careful. Don was in la la, what could be safer (more or less) especially compared to New York. There is no such thing as meaningless, or throw away dialogue on this show.

Okay, I'm starting to get in a bad mood thinking about not seeing Megan's legs anymore.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:14 PM   #212
billcosby
Commodore

Seems like there is a lot of evidence suggesting Megan gets offed. Thanks for the link to the interesting article.

I don't think murder fits this show. I remember how pissed I was when Don had a fever and strangled that weird blonde woman from his past who crept in the back way... then I realized it didn't fit the series and that 'it was all a dream'. Fucking TV writers!

Pryce hanging himself is more than enough death/murder to factor into the story. Don/Dick's brother hung himself. If I want to see dead bodies, there is CSI: SUV, dammit.
However, it does make sense for Don to lose something big like this. The season opening saw his doorman almost checking out. hoping the show continues to surprise and that it is a misleading red herring, etc.

Does Don hit rock bottom after Megan dies and Betty feels sorry for him and comes back to him? I hope not. But I still wonder why Betty and Henry factor into the story at all anymore. There's not much they add to the overall narrative. I can imagine Megan finds out Don cheated, she left in a huff (like when they went on a road trip, fought over ice cream and she hitched a ride back to NYC last year) and gets killed or something. Then Don is again crushed under the weight of what he's done to people:

LIST OF GHOSTS HAUNTING DON CURRENTLY
Adam Whitman - Denied access to Don's life, kills self.
Lane Pryce - Refused forgiveness from Don, kills self.

Am I missing anyone?
Could Megan be pushed over the edge into suicide? She seems very together. Will she lose her job at the soap? Hardly a loss if she can find more work but maybe she's blacklisted or something.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 01:24 AM   #213
the G-man
Commodore

Does Don hit rock bottom after Megan dies ....
There's one season of Mad Men after this. Unless the arc that Weiner plans is that Don finds redemption and lives happily ever after--and that seems extremely unlikely given the show's storyline to date--Megan has to go.

Divorce has been done multiple times on the show. So has suicide. And cancer. At this point, all signs point to a murder.

And, yes, this isn't CSI. However, as I mentioned before, NYC was an increasingly dangerous place back then. Furthermore, there has to be a reason that the scenes with Megan are always about violence lately, even if its just sirens in the background.

I like the character but from a narrative standpoint, I think she will--and has to--go.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 01:58 AM   #214
Kestra
Vice Admiral

She does seem to be especially affected by all the violence. I'd say no to suicide though. That would be very out of character, I think.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 04:35 AM   #215
Lord Garth
Captain

I have to say, I've been online for 17 years and I've never seen such an in-depth (conspiracy) theory before that was based on episodes to come of any series.

I had to do a paper once in college on mise en scene. I had to write three pages on a single frame in a film: what it meant, what it represented, what it symbolized. Granted half of it was bullshitting but the analysis into how Megan is already dead puts that to shame.

I don't know if I should be scared or impressed...
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 04:34 AM   #216
the G-man
Commodore

Just when I think 'It was a pointless episode' Sally's big walk in occurred.
Old June 10 2013, 06:23 AM   #217
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Right?? The collective "oh shits" from around the country could be heard from space... And Megan is clearly not dead...
Old June 10 2013, 04:48 PM   #218
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I was comforting her. With my pants down and her shirt open. Giving Sally the same bullshit he gave Betty all those years. It's so demeaning. Are you going to belive me, or your eyes?

I suspect Don will no longer be his little girl's hero. God, he and Sylvia are both idiots. They got out of it unscathed and then went right back in. Good thing he has something on Betty right now, so she can't tell Megan when Sally tells her.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:32 PM   #219
Lord Garth
Captain

"I don't want his juice! I want my juice!" "It's still your juice." I wonder how many takes that took?

"I like his red shirt." Red shirt. If this were Star Trek, we'd know what that would mean.

I was right, nothing is going to happen between Bob and Joan! Wow. Bob, Bob, Bob... That's not the way to get ahead. Not at SC&P, anyway.

Sally had more to do this episode than any of the others this season combined, which had amounted to "The Crash", a little bit of "The Doorway", and nothing else. Bobby had more to do this season. Bobby. Then, at the end... she caught Don! I knew they'd get caught but I never thought that was going to be how.

Anything could happen now. "Favors" meant Don making peace with Ted, which led to reconsiling with Sylvia, which led to a potential neutron bomb. Peace within the company, possible war and disintegration within the family. Gives me something to ponder about what a title like "The Quality of Mercy" will mean.

"I was comforting Ms. Rosen." Don Draper would make a good Bill Clinton. "Well that depends on what your definition of is is." "I did not have sexual relations with that woman!" This is horrible. For Don I mean, not the scene itself. But it's still hard to get through.

Don continuing on, "She was very upset." You're just digging yourself deeper!

"Complicated." Don Draper's relationship status if he were both forthright and on Facebook. But, if he were forthright, it would become uncomplicated very fast.

The look on Don's face at the very end said it all. Like I said, anything could happen.

Last edited by Lord Garth; June 11 2013 at 04:32 AM.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 01:58 AM   #220
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

It's "complicated," the biggest lame excuse in the world next to "it just happenned."

No, Don and Sylvia. It didn't just happen. They wised up, then they chose to be unwise. Having sex at her apartment when her husband could walk in any time if his work schedule changed, was begging lightning to strike. What I can picture is Sally bringing home guys in vans with long hair and disprespectful attitudes and just daring Don to call her on her behavior.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old June 11 2013, 02:03 AM   #221
Pondwater
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
Just when I think 'It was a pointless episode' Sally's big walk in occurred.
Yeah, that is what I thought too. Besides Pete getting his knee brush up by Bob Benson.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 02:09 AM   #222
the G-man
Commodore

What I can picture is Sally bringing home guys in vans with long hair and disprespectful attitudes and just daring Don to call her on her behavior.
I've lost track. How old is Sally supposed to be at this point?
Old June 11 2013, 02:13 AM   #223
Pondwater
Commodore

About 13 maybe 14.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 03:25 AM   #224
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
They wised up, then they chose to be unwise.
Change "they" to "she" and you've got it.

I don't think Don--as long as we've been watching him--has ever wised up. Been scared into inaction (temporary inaction) a time or two, but that's about it.
Old June 11 2013, 03:52 AM   #225
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

You may be right concerning Don, Jonas Grumby. He only had his big revelation about why he was attracted to Sylvia 2 episodes ago, but he went back as soon as the opportunity for nookie presented itself.

Yeah, Sally may be 2 years away from bringing home greasy haired guys in vans who have designer bongs. Kiernan Shipka is 13; Weiner says Sally is 14. I think the actress was born in late 1999.