Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 10 2013, 12:32 AM   #31
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: How about a captain Pike(bruce Greenwood) series?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Because not everyone likes the same thing--that's Trekdom 101.

There are people who like [INSERT SERIES OR MOVIE HERE], but don't like [INSERT SERIES OR MOVIE HERE]. It's been that way since TMP (if not TAS), and it's not going to stop with the Abrams movies, nor with whatever comes after Abrams.
I agree. And as I said in my earlier post, nuTrek has been given its chance with two movies (with a third film to follow). Why does it also need a television series in addition to the movies that have already been produced, particularly after the controversy that's arisen because of misgivings about the new films? A television series based in the new universe will be just as polarizing as the films have been. That's not conducive to having a TV series that's successful, in any universe.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Are you aware that this is quite contradictory?

If "they" don't allow a show with anyone but Kirk as Captain of the Enterprise, then they certainly won't allow a show with any ship but the Enterprise. And a Robau/Kelvin show would also be a prequel to the prequel.
I'm not opposed to a series featuring a vessel other than Enterprise. I would even welcome a series showcasing a non-Federation ship, but I suspect that I would be in the minority. In any event, I would hope for a television series that featured new characters as opposed to characters fans are already familiar with. There's nothing wrong with original ideas.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 12:34 AM   #32
marksound
Fleet Captain

What is the fascination with Robau? Or the Kelvin, for that matter. Ugly, ugly ship in my opinion.

I don't get it.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 12:37 AM   #33
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
What is the fascination with Robau? Or the Kelvin, for that matter. Ugly, ugly ship in my opinion.

I don't get it.
He is the only truly original character in all Abramstrek. And in the few minutes he appears in it, he is also the only truly likeable one. I guess that's the true reason for the appeal.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 12:39 AM   #34
marksound
Fleet Captain

I don't get it.
He is the only truly original character in all Abramstrek. And in the few minutes he appears in it, he is also the only truly likeable one. I guess that's the true reason for the appeal.
Original in what way? Likeable? How, exactly? We don't know anything about him, except that he walked into an obvious trap.
Old June 10 2013, 12:48 AM   #35
Sran
Fleet Captain

Original in what way? Likeable? How, exactly? We don't know anything about him, except that he walked into an obvious trap.
I think you answered your own question. He represents Star Trek's answer to Bobba Fett, a unique character whose background is unknown. We've seen only his demise at the hands of Nero, but so many details of his life preceding that point haven't been discussed. Fans often find such characters fascinating.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 02:11 AM   #36
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

I don't get it.
The timeline split when Nero came through the rift. So until the final 10 minutes of Robau's life he lived in the original timeline with all previous Trek shows. By asking for a Robau show, people are asking for a show starring a character from the Abrams movie, but set in the original timeline (or more accurately, the shared timeline).
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 02:33 AM   #37
marksound
Fleet Captain

AviTrek wrote: View Post
The timeline split when Nero came through the rift. So until the final 10 minutes of Robau's life he lived in the original timeline with all previous Trek shows. By asking for a Robau show, people are asking for a show starring a character from the Abrams movie, but set in the original timeline (or more accurately, the shared timeline).
And ... ?
Old June 10 2013, 02:38 AM   #38
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Sran wrote: View Post
It seems to me that nuTrek is getting its chance on the big screen. Why does it need a TV show in addition to two movies?
Who said anything about "need" ? This is the Trek we have now.

I already said I realise that. I don't like Indiana Jones 4, but I'm not asking them to retcon and ignore it. If they happen to make another Indy, fine. I'm not saying I don't understand why people don't like the new movies, I don't understand why it's such a big issue.

Original and likeable ? How so ?

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 02:49 AM   #39
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
I already said I realise that. I don't like Indiana Jones 4, but I'm not asking them to retcon and ignore it. If they happen to make another Indy, fine. I'm not saying I don't understand why people don't like the new movies, I don't understand why it's such a big issue.
Well, if you realize that not everyone likes the same thing, then you'd understand that also applies to the new movies--not everyone likes them either. It's not really a big issue, it's just the way things are, given that not everyone is the same nor has the same likes or dislikes.
Old June 10 2013, 02:51 AM   #40
Sran
Fleet Captain

AviTrek wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if there's enough material on which to base an entire show. A short novel series or TV movie is feasible.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 02:56 AM   #41
Sran
Fleet Captain

Who said anything about "need" ? This is the Trek we have now.
All the more reason to avoid forcing it down people's throats by making a TV series in addition to the films. Too much of something tends to lead to fatigue and apathy. Star Trek's brand is enough to attract interest, but unless it's done well, it's not enough to sustain interest over a protracted period of time. That's why Enterprise failed: the writing and character development weren't enough to carry the series after the novelty wore off.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 10:28 AM   #42
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Well, if you realize that not everyone likes the same thing, then you'd understand that also applies to the new movies--not everyone likes them either.
CE Evans, please stop that. This is the third time I say that I know that. My puzzlement IS NOT at why people don't like the new movies. It's at why they want to go back to the old timeline rather than just ask for better movies in the new one.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 10 2013, 11:44 AM   #43
ArcherNX01
Lieutenant

ArcherNX01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 04:40 PM   #44
Sran
Fleet Captain

CE Evans, please stop that. This is the third time I say that I know that. My puzzlement IS NOT at why people don't like the new movies. It's at why they want to go back to the old timeline rather than just ask for better movies in the new one.
Have you considered the possibility that people are so put off by the more recent films that they would prefer to avoid the new timeline altogether? It's not as though there's no room for further exploration of the primary timeline, a universe with which fans are much more familiar with and accepting of.

--Sran
Old June 10 2013, 05:12 PM   #45
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Sran wrote: View Post
Have you considered the possibility that people are so put off by the more recent films that they would prefer to avoid the new timeline altogether?
Yes. And I don't understand it. Can you consider the possibility that I might not understand some people's opinions or reactions ?