Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 9 2013, 10:47 PM   #1831
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Hugh Mann wrote: View Post
That's not good news, it's bad news. The more successful the movie is financially the more likely it is that they'll make more. I was hoping the movie would be unsuccessful financially, because then maybe they'd finally stop making them. I'd rather they simply air re-runs of Picard walking around his ready room explaining the finer points of his moral and ethical values calmly and politely instead of another two hours of explosions, loud noises, and flashing lights.
I love all Trek, but TOS is easily my favourite. For me, STID brings the feel, spirit and vibe of TOS back to life brilliantly and authentically - in a way I never thought I'd see again. Bravo Abrams & Co - roll on the next Bad Robot Trek.
Old June 9 2013, 10:49 PM   #1832
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Phily B wrote: View Post
If you look at the context if me saying that, it was completely facetious.
No, it context it wasn't so. It wasn't obvious at all. Thanks for clarifying that, though.

I'd rather they simply air re-runs of Picard walking around his ready room explaining the finer points of his moral and ethical values calmly and politely instead of another two hours of explosions, loud noises, and flashing lights.
This so exemplifies what's wrong with fandom. You'd rather Trek be completely dead, and nobody being able to enjoy it, than it being different from what you want.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:58 PM   #1833
Hugh Mann
Lieutenant

That's not what I said at all. What I said was that I would wish they would stop making movies that dilute Star Trek by reusing the label while turning it into something completely unrecognizable as Star Trek. I'm perfectly content to watch repeats of the old TV episodes every now and then. After all, there comes a point when no more is needed. It's symptomatic of Hollywood in general, where they are completely out of ideas and must re-hash, reboot, rework, and remake the same fiction over and over again rather than come up with original stories, characters, and universes. All these comic book and superhero movies are the worst offenders, but what's been done to Star Trek is hardly much better. Though, even if they were making Star Trek that stayed true to what Star Trek is supposed to be instead of loud and annoying action movies, I would still rather they simply stop. It's not needed to make any more Star Trek movies. They've told some stories, and now they need to move on and make new stories, with new characters, new worlds, and new ideas. Wanting more Star Trek movies and shows simply for the sake of having more Star Trek is absolutely brainless and shows no appreciation for any of it.

In fact, what I want has (mostly) already happened. They stopped making Star Trek years ago (three out of four TNG movies were leaning in that direction, though they at least tried to have something to say). Now they're making movies that are called Star Trek, but they're not really making Star Trek.
Hugh Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:59 PM   #1834
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Now they're making movies that are called Star Trek, but they're not really making Star Trek.
Incorrect.
Old June 9 2013, 11:00 PM   #1835
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Good thing you're not in charge then. ^^
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:21 PM   #1836
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Belz... wrote: View Post
If you look at the context if me saying that, it was completely facetious.
No, it context it wasn't so. It wasn't obvious at all. Thanks for clarifying that, though.

I'd rather they simply air re-runs of Picard walking around his ready room explaining the finer points of his moral and ethical values calmly and politely instead of another two hours of explosions, loud noises, and flashing lights.
This so exemplifies what's wrong with fandom. You'd rather Trek be completely dead, and nobody being able to enjoy it, than it being different from what you want.
It obviously was, I posted a 50 cent laughing GIF with Picard in the and it was way before the bad news came in, it was in response to good news that the movie would push 100m+.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:30 PM   #1837
Jax
Admiral

That's not good news, it's bad news. The more successful the movie is financially the more likely it is that they'll make more. I was hoping the movie would be unsuccessful financially, because then maybe they'd finally stop making them. I'd rather they simply air re-runs of Picard walking around his ready room explaining the finer points of his moral and ethical values calmly and politely instead of another two hours of explosions, loud noises, and flashing lights.
Why the hell should we miss out because you don't like it? Just watch old episodes then and forgot about the movies and leave the rest of us to enjoy it.

Old June 9 2013, 11:35 PM   #1838
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Why do Star Trek films have to be action films?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:41 PM   #1839
Dream
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
No one wants another TMP, that's why.
Old June 9 2013, 11:41 PM   #1840
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
How about a Shawshank Redemption? Or a Voyage Home?
Old June 9 2013, 11:50 PM   #1841
Belz...
Fleet Captain

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I love all Trek, but TOS is easily my favourite. For me, STID brings the feel, spirit and vibe of TOS back to life brilliantly and authentically - in a way I never thought I'd see again. Bravo Abrams & Co - roll on the next Bad Robot Trek.
That's it. I'm going to run the two new movies in my head with the old actors and special effect, as though it was an old episode.

Hell, the folks doing fan episodes should re-do the movies that way.

It obviously was, I posted a 50 cent laughing GIF with Picard in the and it was way before the bad news came in, it was in response to good news that the movie would push 100m+.
Since I have no idea what the GIF meant, it was not obvious. Just because you understand what you meant, doesn't mean it's clear for everybody. Anyway, I'm glad to know you weren't one of the doomsayers.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 9 2013, 11:52 PM   #1842
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
How about a Shawshank Redemption? Or a Voyage Home?
Shawshank Redemption isn't "real" Star Trek.

And neither is TVH.
Old June 9 2013, 11:53 PM   #1843
Belz...
Fleet Captain

That's not what I said at all. What I said was that I would wish they would stop making movies that dilute Star Trek by reusing the label while turning it into something completely unrecognizable as Star Trek.
No, that's not what you said. You said this:

I was hoping the movie would be unsuccessful financially, because then maybe they'd finally stop making them. I'd rather they simply air re-runs of Picard walking around his ready room explaining the finer points of his moral and ethical values calmly and politely instead of another two hours of explosions, loud noises, and flashing lights.
That explicitely says you'd prefer re-runs to new movies.

Though, even if they were making Star Trek that stayed true to what Star Trek is supposed to be instead of loud and annoying action movies, I would still rather they simply stop.
Here's an easier solution that will allow us to enjoy the new movies at the same time: stop watching them.

It's not needed to make any more Star Trek movies.
Yeah, that's why it's called entertainment.

Now they're making movies that are called Star Trek, but they're not really making Star Trek.
Just 2 posts above yours is a member who says the new movies feel like TOS again, so this is clearly your minority opinion.

Old June 9 2013, 11:54 PM   #1844
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Shawshank Redemption isn't "real" Star Trek.
But it's the best film ever made. And I have the IMDb Top 250 to support my opinion.
Old June 9 2013, 11:58 PM   #1845
Belz...
Fleet Captain

But it's the best film ever made. And I have the IMDb Top 250 to support my opinion.
Of course it's the best film ever made.

It also made 28 million in its entire run.

You have to know what is the target audience and market for the movie. A low-budget slasher flick is not the same thing as a courtroom movie. They don't target the same people. Star Trek is sci-fi adventure. Always has been. When you translate it into the big screen, it doesn't necessarily lend itself well to slow, deliberate plotting.

Why ? Because sci-fi stuff costs a lot more money than courtroom or slasher, so it must have a much greater appeal in order to make a profit, which is the whole point of making movies. So action and a fast pace are the best bets.

And it's not as if TOS was low on action, either.