Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 9 2013, 06:56 PM   #1816
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Star Trek (2009) took a shade under US$128m in the rest of the world.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 07:15 PM   #1817
Borgminister

Almost 128 million total internationally for '09.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 07:22 PM   #1818
Jax
Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
From BoxOffice.com on Twitter:
Wonder how much the legs will go

$230ish US total.
Wonder how the 176.4 international figure stacks up against 09?
Well 09 being what $127m total oversea's and Paramount has said it could go up to $290m though I think $250m is probably the highest it will go.
Old June 9 2013, 07:22 PM   #1819
USSPhilippi
Lieutenant Commander

View USSPhilippi's Twitter Profile

From BoxOffice.com, more detail on this weekend's international take. Note the excellent hold in Korea.

Star Trek Into Darkness reached a $176.4 million overseas total over the weekend, already outpacing the performance of its predecessor with pending releases in major markets like Japan, France, Italy, Spain, and Brazil. An additional $9 million from China saw the Star Trek sequel nearly outgross the previous entry in the same market by 500%. South Korea contributed $3.3 million as well, a mere 22% drop from its opening weekend. Star Trek Into Darkness will open in Brazil, Italy, and France next weekend. The latest entry in the Star Trek franchise currently posts a $376.5 million global cume.
http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news...to-600m-global

For Thou lovest all things that are, and hatest none of the things which Thou hast made: for Thou didst not appoint, or make any thing hating it. Wisdom 11:25, Douay-Rheims Bible
USSPhilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 09:19 PM   #1820
RAMA
Vice Admiral

All good news!! STID will match ST09's WW 4 months of release total in about a month within a few days. Last week I said it would likely hit between $360-370 million by monday, but it has already surpassed that!

RAMA
Old June 9 2013, 09:26 PM   #1821
MacLeod
Admiral

Paramount should be fairly happy, saying it has yet to open in some markets
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old June 9 2013, 09:34 PM   #1822
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
They're fine.
RAMA wrote: View Post
They're projecting $490 million. I think they're very happy.
You mean all this fatalistic stuff upthread was ... fatalistic ?

RIP Star Trek
It is a bad start, there is no way to spin these numbers positive. I seriously believe that $200m is in doubt at the moment because of the competition for the rest of May.
Those people couldn't reason themselves out of a paper bag. We told them they were wrong THEN they are even more wrong now.

RAMA
Old June 9 2013, 10:04 PM   #1823
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

If you look at the context if me saying that, it was completely facetious.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:07 PM   #1824
Hugh Mann
Lieutenant

All good news!! STID will match ST09's WW 4 months of release total in about a month within a few days. Last week I said it would likely hit between $360-370 million by monday, but it has already surpassed that!

RAMA
That's not good news, it's bad news. The more successful the movie is financially the more likely it is that they'll make more. I was hoping the movie would be unsuccessful financially, because then maybe they'd finally stop making them. I'd rather they simply air re-runs of Picard walking around his ready room explaining the finer points of his moral and ethical values calmly and politely instead of another two hours of explosions, loud noises, and flashing lights.
Hugh Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:09 PM   #1825
ralph
Captain

I'm very optimistic about Brazil. Here was a hit in IMAX. I will watch on Sunday (june 16th) and will send a photo for you. My guess is $20 M or more.
Old June 9 2013, 10:10 PM   #1826
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Hugh Mann wrote: View Post

RAMA
That's not good news, it's bad news. The more successful the movie is financially the more likely it is that they'll make more. I was hoping the movie would be unsuccessful financially, because then maybe they'd finally stop making them. I'd rather they simply air re-runs of Picard walking around his ready room explaining the finer points of his moral and ethical values calmly and politely instead of another two hours of explosions, loud noises, and flashing lights.
According to the reviews and online viewer ratings you are in the vast minority...which is your right, just as long as you realize it.

RAMA
Old June 9 2013, 10:12 PM   #1827
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

RAMA
My favourite part of TNG was when they cited a cosmic force/plan as a reason not to save a pre-warp civilization.

Truly intellectual and high brow.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:23 PM   #1828
MacLeod
Admiral

RAMA
No one is forcing you to watch it. You don't like it which is fine. But ST being a success is good news all round.

Interest in the film might get a few people to look at the TV shows.

A good return on the film could demonstrate that there is a demand for ST, which could in thery result in a new TV show being commissioned.
Old June 9 2013, 10:36 PM   #1829
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

RAMA
And I'd rather watch more Star Trek films with this new cast and universe. So I think this is excellent news.

See, I'm perfectly fine with you not liking these movies. Totally your prerogative. But why the desire to deprive many, many others of something they clearly enjoy? That, I've never understood.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 10:45 PM   #1830
Harvey
Admiral

Well, this is an obnoxious attitude. The back catalog of the franchise isn't going anywhere -- TOS and TNG, especially, are widely syndicated, and all of the series are available on Netflix streaming. So why root for the new movies to fail?

In any event, if you want CBS to continue investing in expensive high definition upgrades for the Berman-era series, a financially successful film franchise will only increase the chances of that project going forward.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote