Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 8 2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Dart
Commodore

STID. The Roads...

...were one of the things I found interesting in the movie. It must be the only time(?) we see street level action on Earth in this time period. I'm ready to be proved wrong in many ways there.

Anyways, there seemed to be metal strips running along the road from what I remember. I took it as a way that cars can drive themselves using these special roads if the driver wasn't interested in doing it themselves.

Maybe there's more detail out there I could look up?

Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 07:08 PM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: STID. The Roads...

I really liked the city shots that we got to see of London. The 24th Century-era Trek seemed to depict a lot of Earth as being covered with super sci-fi-looking buildings all the time. I liked that London had a nice mix of old and new structures. Afterall, why would you demolish a whole city just to build a new futuristic city? It's not like those old buildings would suddenly stop being functional just because it's "the future."
Old June 8 2013, 07:21 PM   #3
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Dart wrote: View Post
...were one of the things I found interesting in the movie. It must be the only time(?) we see street level action on Earth in this time period. I'm ready to be proved wrong in many ways there.

Anyways, there seemed to be metal strips running along the road from what I remember. I took it as a way that cars can drive themselves using these special roads if the driver wasn't interested in doing it themselves.

Maybe there's more detail out there I could look up?
I think the only actual metal-looking strip was along the side of the road for the trolley car line. There were also some slightly futuristic-styled crosswalk markings, but otherwise the street seemed fairly conventional. That doesn't mean it couldn't have technology embedded beneath it though.

Besides, I would hope two hundred and fifty years in the future they wouldn't have less advanced driverless technology than the Google driverless cars that are being authorized for testing on public roads today.

Old June 8 2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Dart
Commodore

Looking at those fugly cars makes me wonder when humanity lost it's sense of cool on Earth. Their spaceships are OK though.

Of course I had forgotten San Fransisco is famous for the trams. Trams and Alcatraz, oh dear.

Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 10:08 PM   #5
USS Excelsior
Commodore

You would have thought the cars could at least hover above the road making everywhere pedestrian friendly and have elevated expressways for non local trips.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 10:27 PM   #6
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

USS Excelsior wrote: View Post
You would have thought the cars could at least hover above the road making everywhere pedestrian friendly and have elevated expressways for non local trips.
I actually prefer that they still use wheeled vehicles in addition to the occasional hover cars/bikes and aircraft. Ubiquitous hover cars make a nice joke when you're lamenting their lack of existence in the "future" year that you're now living in, but if put in practice they would be a nightmare.

Think of how many traffic accidents, mechanical breakdowns, and intoxicated or sleepy or texting drivers (which could be alleviated with a driverless system, but only if they chose to engage or it or didn't have a choice at all) you see, and then imagine if all those people had control of their own airplane flying over densely populated areas. It would be raining cars.

The only way to make sure this wouldn't happen is to create some kind of guaranteed multiple redundant system whereby even if all power was lost, every other system failed, or if the driver was an idiot, the car would never collide with another vehicle, pedestrian, or building and would just gently set itself on a clear patch of ground in case of emergency.

Now, you'd think that would be possible in Trek times, but even if this film we see the Enterprise lose all power and fall to Earth, and a spacegoing military ship of the line would be a hell of a lot more finely tuned than your father's Oldsmobile. Plus, these people have cracking bridges, shifting gravity generators over giant pits o'doom, and a desperate need for surge protectors. OSHA would not be happy.
Old June 9 2013, 02:11 AM   #7
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Dart wrote: View Post
Looking at those fugly cars makes me wonder when humanity lost it's sense of cool on Earth.
You weren't around in the 70s, right ?
Old June 9 2013, 02:18 AM   #8
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I like how the cars have really wide windows while being compact.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:41 AM   #9
CorporalClegg
Admiral

They look like Smart cars and Nissan LEAFs to me. The big one looks like that fugly Renalut van from a few years ago. The bronze one looks like a Honda Insight from the back.

Now I agree that all of the above are hideous, I think it Abrams just asked the art guys to do a design-trend extrapolation projection.

Last edited by CorporalClegg; June 9 2013 at 03:04 AM.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:03 AM   #10
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

They're Cable Cars, not trams or trolley cars.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:06 AM   #11
The Wormhole
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Afterall, why would you demolish a whole city just to build a new futuristic city?
I assumed the old buildings got destroyed in WWIII.
Old June 9 2013, 03:32 AM   #12
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Afterall, why would you demolish a whole city just to build a new futuristic city?
In that case, you might not really have the resources to start building an ultra-futuristic city, what with more than half a billion dead, and so much destruction.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:40 AM   #13
The Wormhole
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
In that case, you might not really have the resources to start building an ultra-futuristic city, what with more than half a billion dead, and so much destruction.
By the 24th century, 300 years have gone by since WWIII. More than enough time to build futuristic buildings to replace old ones that have been destroyed.
Old June 9 2013, 07:54 PM   #14
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
They're Cable Cars, not trams or trolley cars.
And they climb half way to the stars.