RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,642
Posts: 5,837,720
Members: 26,162
Currently online: 524
Newest member: Ember

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Stewart And Son To Act Together
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Quinto: If I Wasn’t An Actor…
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Star Trek Beyond Update
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 9 2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Keith1701
Rear Admiral
 
Keith1701's Avatar
 
Location: Warner Robins Georgia
Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

Does anyone know why they did not bring Khan's wife into the movies? Also, does anyone know weather or not they even thought about it?
__________________
Keith1701
Live Long, and Prosper....
"Make It So" -- ENGAGE!!!!
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 05:21 PM   #2
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

Keith1701 wrote: View Post
Does anyone know why they did not bring Khan's wife into the movies? Also, does anyone know weather or not they even thought about it?
Where would Khan's vengeance be when his wife was still alive?
__________________
A movie aiming low should not be praised for hitting that target.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

Memory Alpha says that Harve Bennett wanted her to appear in the movie, but when he discovered actress Madlyn Rhue was confined to a wheelchair due to multiple sclerosis, discarded the idea.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 05:36 PM   #4
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

The wife should have been shown in the film in some capacity. It's hard to take a villain too seriously when his motives are complete hearsay. The issue was only addressed by one throw-away line that dismissed the issue and shooed it off screen in hopes no one would notice.

There needs to be some kind of "proof" for the audience. Other wise, for all we know Khan is pissed because Kirk broke the head off his Darth Vader doll. For example, that's the whole point of the mind meld scene in ST09. It pulls the story together. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

Essentially, TWOK took the ghost out of Hamlet.

Harvey wrote: View Post
Memory Alpha says that Harve Bennett wanted her to appear in the movie, but when he discovered actress Madlyn Rhue was confined to a wheelchair due to multiple sclerosis, discarded the idea.
They could've used someone else. No one would notice.
__________________
If you can read this signature, you're dying.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

^ It could be that Bennett decided not to recast the part of McGivers simply out of respect for Madlyn Rhue's health issues. And I'm OK with that.

My problem is this: Given how Khan basically slapped McGivers around in "Space Seed", I'm wondering how he ever could have considered her "beloved"... then again he could have been bullshitting Kirk when he said that.
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese
Who am I to diss a Brie?
I Cheddar the world and the Feta cheese
Everybody's looking for Stilton

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; June 9 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

Abusive relationship. And Marla fell for it.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 07:06 PM   #7
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

He was stuck on a planet that was a living hell - and the way montalban does not chew scenery but starts neatly at each corner of the set in every scene and swallows it whole, co-stars and all sell that idea*.


* with apologies to Variety
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 08:11 PM   #8
billcosby
Commodore
 
billcosby's Avatar
 
Location: billcosby
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

KHAN: "I'm better."
KIRK: "At what?"
KHAN: "Having a wife. Sharing domestic chores."
[Franchise fatigue kicks in, no more Trek until 2030]
__________________
My 1st Edition TrekCCG virtual expansion: http://billcosbytrekccg.blogspot.com/

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 08:25 PM   #9
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

My problem is this: Given how Khan basically slapped McGivers around in "Space Seed", I'm wondering how he ever could have considered her "beloved"... then again he could have been bullshitting Kirk when he said that.
At first Khan merely used Marla as a tool to gain control of the Enterprise. But at the end of "Space Seed," he said he considered her a "superior woman." He certainly could have developed genuine feelings for her.

As for Khan slapping Marla around or physically abusing her -- what scene was that?
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander
 
Chrono85's Avatar
 
Location: USA
View Chrono85's Twitter Profile
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

I always imagined that she was killed off because it provided extra motivation for Khan to want revenge. As for whether he really cared abut here or not; at first, he only used to as a means to an end to achieve his goals, but maybe actual feelings developed later. it would have been more impactful if they had maybe shown her grave or something .
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:53 PM   #11
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

Right now I'm wondering why Khan didn't simply revive his wife using his blood. But then again TWOK is filled with so many plot holes...
__________________
A movie aiming low should not be praised for hitting that target.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 12:16 AM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Right now I'm wondering why Khan didn't simply revive his wife using his blood. But then again TWOK is filled with so many plot holes...
Hard to say. All we know is her death was caused by a ceti eel.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 12:18 AM   #13
Galileo7
Fleet Captain
 
Galileo7's Avatar
 
Location: U.S.A.
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
The wife should have been shown in the film in some capacity. It's hard to take a villain too seriously when his motives are complete hearsay. The issue was only addressed by one throw-away line that dismissed the issue and shooed it off screen in hopes no one would notice.

There needs to be some kind of "proof" for the audience. Other wise, for all we know Khan is pissed because Kirk broke the head off his Darth Vader doll. For example, that's the whole point of the mind meld scene in ST09. It pulls the story together. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

Essentially, TWOK took the ghost out of Hamlet.

Harvey wrote: View Post
Memory Alpha says that Harve Bennett wanted her to appear in the movie, but when he discovered actress Madlyn Rhue was confined to a wheelchair due to multiple sclerosis, discarded the idea.
They could've used someone else. No one would notice.
Agree. She should have been in WOK.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 01:05 AM   #14
Captain Clark Terrell
Commodore
 
Captain Clark Terrell's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

scotpens wrote: View Post
At first Khan merely used Marla as a tool to gain control of the Enterprise. But at the end of "Space Seed," he said he considered her a "superior woman." He certainly could have developed genuine feelings for her.

As for Khan slapping Marla around or physically abusing her -- what scene was that?
I agree. Khan's genetic enhancements resulted in his uncontrollable ambition and thirst for power, but there's no evidence that they prevented him from showing compassion to another being or from falling in love with another person. He seemed genuinely impressed by her courage in agreeing to stay with him on Ceti Alpha V. It's not difficult to believe that he learned to love her during the intervening years.

--Sran
__________________
"He clapped his captain—his friend—on the shoulder. Yes, this man was very much like James Kirk, in all the ways that mattered." --Christopher L. Bennett-- Star Trek: Mere Anarachy, The Darkness Drops Again
Captain Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 01:49 AM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
They could've used someone else. No one would notice.
Like they didn't notice Khan's multiracial colleagues turning young, blond and Aryan? Dark-haired offsider Joaquin for blond Joachim?

Or like no one noticed the switch in Saaviks (ST III) and Cochranes ("First Contact")?

__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
star trek ii, twok

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.