RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,585
Posts: 5,403,674
Members: 24,867
Currently online: 629
Newest member: jack@gerryander

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 9 2013, 01:33 AM   #1
cosmicvoyager
Cadet
 
Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

Greetings,

I think this is either Dr Arik Soong or an Augment ancestor of all the Soongs.



1 - Arik Soong was a brilliant doctor of genetics in the 22nd century. He believed that Humanity's abandonment of genetic engineering after the Eugenics Wars was a mistake, and hoped to show that genetically engineered Humans would not necessarily become tyrants like Khan Noonien Singh. He argued that the source of the problem wasn't, in fact, the technology, but Humanity's own inability to use it wisely.

2 - Brent Spiner desperately wanted to be in Star Trek XII

If the Soongs are descended from one of Khan's crew, it would explain Arik Soong's interest in the Augments and the Soong's genius.
cosmicvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 01:55 AM   #2
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

What is Data's head doing there when it's supposed to be under San Francisco?

CANON VIOLATION
__________________
Thank you very much for your concern, sir, but he does not need your religion, he has science and socialism and birthdays.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:00 AM   #3
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

I think it looks like Geddy Lee.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:43 AM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

cosmicvoyager wrote: View Post
Greetings,

1 - Arik Soong was a brilliant doctor of genetics in the 22nd century. He believed that Humanity's abandonment of genetic engineering after the Eugenics Wars was a mistake, and hoped to show that genetically engineered Humans would not necessarily become tyrants like Khan Noonien Singh. He argued that the source of the problem wasn't, in fact, the technology, but Humanity's own inability to use it wisely.

2 - Brent Spiner desperately wanted to be in Star Trek XII
1) By the end of that arc, Arik Soong's opinion of genetic engineering had been soured and he began thinking about artificial intelligence.

2) First I'm hearing about this. Source, please?
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:47 AM   #5
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I think it looks like Geddy Lee.
I think we can all agree that RUSH must be preserved, for the sake of civilization.
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:58 AM   #6
cosmicvoyager
Cadet
 
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
cosmicvoyager wrote: View Post
Greetings,

1 - Arik Soong was a brilliant doctor of genetics in the 22nd century. He believed that Humanity's abandonment of genetic engineering after the Eugenics Wars was a mistake, and hoped to show that genetically engineered Humans would not necessarily become tyrants like Khan Noonien Singh. He argued that the source of the problem wasn't, in fact, the technology, but Humanity's own inability to use it wisely.

2 - Brent Spiner desperately wanted to be in Star Trek XII
1) By the end of that arc, Arik Soong's opinion of genetic engineering had been soured and he began thinking about artificial intelligence.

2) First I'm hearing about this. Source, please?

1 - Okay, so I think that the person in the cryotube is Arik Soong's ancestor.

2 - "I am thinking more about the next Star Trek movie and more about who can I be in it. I did this character Arik Soong [on Star Trek Enterprise], not to be confused with Dr. Soong on the [TNG], this was his predecessor. And I would like to start a campaign, maybe right here tonight, its called BBS – Bring Back Soong. And I want you to flood JJ Abrams offices with that: BBS, Bring Back Soong."
http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/29/bren...r-trek-sequel/
cosmicvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:10 AM   #7
teacock
Admiral
 
Location: teacake
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

I noted the resemblance the first time I saw the movie.

The interesting question is whether it was intentional.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:15 AM   #8
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: At the After Party Still...
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

teacake wrote: View Post
I noted the resemblance the first time I saw the movie.
Same here

Although someone else said it looked like Picard.

I definitely thought it looked like Data/Lore/Dr Soong
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:18 AM   #9
teacock
Admiral
 
Location: teacake
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

Too much hair for Picard!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:31 AM   #10
dub
Fleet Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

It's Data! Oh, just think of how much dialogue they could lift from TNG in the next movie...maybe they can have nuData say "The line must be drawn here!" Get it -- it's Data saying it this time instead of Picard! Wow, what a twist! Throw in some head crushing and mass destruction! Yeah, that's the ticket!
dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 06:15 AM   #11
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I think it looks like Geddy Lee.
I think we can all agree that RUSH must be preserved, for the sake of civilization.
Duh.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 01:52 PM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

cosmicvoyager wrote: View Post
2 - "I am thinking more about the next Star Trek movie and more about who can I be in it. I did this character Arik Soong [on Star Trek Enterprise], not to be confused with Dr. Soong on the [TNG], this was his predecessor. And I would like to start a campaign, maybe right here tonight, its called BBS – Bring Back Soong. And I want you to flood JJ Abrams offices with that: BBS, Bring Back Soong."
http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/29/bren...r-trek-sequel/
Honestly, it's difficult to tell if he's being serious there. It definitely doesn't come of as Spiner "desperately wanting" to be in the movie.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

They'll bring back Soong, but cast an Asian guy who looks nothing like Spiner in the part.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

Ooh... maybe Noonian Soong is Arik Soong is the REAL Khan Noonien Singh !

Data is the brainchild of KHAAAAANNN !!!
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.