Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 8 2013, 07:08 PM   #151
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

Re: Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
If Moffat is thinking of making the next Doctor announcement at San Diego Comic-Con (which isn't out of the question -- it's six weeks away and people have said we'll find out "next month"), I hope his BBC higher-ups would smack him down.

It would be an announcement to the wrong market in the wrong venue to the wrong people. Doctor Who is a BBC program for the mainstream British audience; nerd culture Americans shouldn't be the first to get the news of the next Doctor because they are not the program's target audience. San Diego is not in Britain . And the crowd at San Diego is not the British press. Moffat and the program would be torn up alive in the British press if they made an announcement of that scale at SDCC. And British fandom would feel like they were being slighted, ignored, taken for granted; I've seen enough grinding and gnashing of teeth over the Doctor Who Revisited series on BBC America.

It would be a toxic situation. There are no benefits to Moffat from making an SDCC announcement.
There is no way they can keep something like this a secret for six weeks. What I can see is the actor playing the 12th Doctor making an appearance at SDCC as his introduction to America.
Old June 9 2013, 07:10 AM   #152
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

There is no logical reason to be upset over the Doctor Who Revisited series being shown only in the US, since it is being produced by BBC America. It's not like it was created by the BBC with UK tax dollars, only for them to be deprived of it! If they want a similar show, then they can get their BBC to create one, or they can just have the BBC air this American documentary series . It reminds me of how angry some folks got when they realized that a couple of episodes would be filmed in the States; It's just misplaced nationalism. Notice how there was no big backlash to STiD being released over-seas first .
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 07:39 AM   #153
VDCNI
Captain

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
There is no logical reason to be upset over the Doctor Who Revisited series being shown only in the US, since it is being produced by BBC America. It's not like it was created by the BBC with UK tax dollars, only for them to be deprived of it! If they want a similar show, then they can get their BBC to create one, or they can just have the BBC air this American documentary series . It reminds me of how angry some folks got when they realized that a couple of episodes would be filmed in the States; It's just misplaced nationalism. Notice how there was no big backlash to STiD being released over-seas first .
STiD isn't paid for by the license fee. I'm not particularly fussed about any of the American stuff but it's not as simple as you are trying to make out. We in the UK directly fund the BBC which is why people get protective.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 11:11 AM   #154
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Timofnine wrote: View Post
Russell Brand.
I love Russell Brand, but I wouldn't want him to play the Doctor.
Old June 9 2013, 11:27 AM   #155
Lonemagpie
Writer

So, today's Torygraph claims that Rory Kinnear (Bill Tanner in the last two Bond movies)....

Has been offered the role and they're waiting to hear back from him about whether he'll take it.

Colour me skeptical. Colour me not thinking that's a scoop.

Kinnear says he hasn't seen the show and this is all news to him... And I think the fact that the Beeb aren't scrambling for a counter-headline pretty much says it all, that this is a total non-story.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:52 PM   #156
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

VDCNI wrote: View Post
STiD isn't paid for by the license fee. I'm not particularly fussed about any of the American stuff but it's not as simple as you are trying to make out. We in the UK directly fund the BBC which is why people get protective.
Well, BBC America is not funded by people in the UK, like the Regular BBC is. BBC America is funded through advertising, and Doctor Who revisited is produced and created by Americans working at BBC America. If BBC America was creating special episodes of Doctor Who, that only Americans got to see, then that would be something to be angry over But Doctor Who Revisited wasn't created by or for Brits, or with UK tax money, so they aren't getting cheated out of anything. They can't be angry at BBC America for taking its own initiative to make this series, and if they want to be angry, then it should be directed at the regular BBC for not doing the same thing.
Old June 9 2013, 04:28 PM   #157
MickJo1701
Commander

Bookies have stopped taking bets, the cat will be out of the bag very soon I'd imagine.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:33 PM   #158
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

On that note, while I know it likely won't happen anytime soon, but just for fun, I was trying to think of American actors that have Doctor-like qualities Jeff Goldblum came to mind.
Old June 9 2013, 04:35 PM   #159
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

aaaand, it looks like we may have our new Doctor.
Old June 9 2013, 04:39 PM   #160
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Rory! Always with the Rory!
Old June 9 2013, 04:45 PM   #161
lennier1
Commodore

We'll just have to wait and see.
I only hope that it will be someone with experience in both, TV and theater work. That definitely proved to be an advantage in David Tennant's case.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 05:15 PM   #162
Jax
Admiral

No thanks, he doesn't look like the could carry the shows energy and pacing.
Old June 9 2013, 06:11 PM   #163
StCoop
Commodore

Jax wrote: View Post
No thanks, he doesn't look like the could carry the shows energy and pacing.
Thank God for that. Might mean an end to all the childish, clowning around.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 06:32 PM   #164
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I'm still as doubtful now of Rory Kinnear in the role as I was this morning.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 06:43 PM   #165
RevdKathy
I WILL have this wedding PERFECT!

View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile

Can't say he made an impression on me in Skyfall. Though his Father would have made a very good Doctor in the 70s or 80s, now I think about it. If he can pull off that same combination of depth, comedy and occasional darkness he dad had he'll do very well.