Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 8 2013, 12:29 AM   #556
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
SLJ reiterates his desire to be involved with AoS, saying it would "legitimaize" the show, but apparently there are issues with such happening.

It would be cool if this were all mis-direction and he had a cameo in the pilot.
My layman's understanding would surmise that his 9-deal theatrical contract is an apple.

Doing something on TV, would be an orange contract. So broker a separate deal for TV.

Clearly it must be more complicated than that though.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 03:43 AM   #557
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

SLJ reiterates his desire to be involved with AoS, saying it would "legitimaize" the show, but apparently there are issues with such happening.

It would be cool if this were all mis-direction and he had a cameo in the pilot.
You give him that on-screen cameo in the pilot, and the next thing you know, he's successfully pulled a "Jed Bartlet" on everyone...which could be a good thing, considering how it worked out with Martin Sheen.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 06:23 AM   #558
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
More recently I've been getting the impression that some companies are now paying attention to how many people record or stream, but some are still a little slow to wake up and smell the 21st century.
People who record the show (and skip the ads) don't count, and shouldn't count. Streaming, though (since that has ads which fund the network) ought to be incorporated nowadays. I'm curious as to whether they do or not...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 06:36 AM   #559
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^ Ha! I used to record shows on my DVR, let them play through once with the commercials while I was doing something else, and then watched the shows sans commercials afterwards just so I could support my shows (Dollhouse and Sarah Conner to be precise).
Old June 8 2013, 01:10 PM   #560
Christopher
Writer

Heck, it's not like I pay attention to the commercials when I'm watching live TV anyway. I either mute the sound, change the channel, or go over to the computer or out to the kitchen while an ad is on. I generally see all advertising as intrusive and annoying and try to avoid it as much as possible. Honestly, I don't understand why advertisers think shoving things aggressively in our faces will make us be more interested in them. It just alienates me and drives me away.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 01:28 PM   #561
Reverend
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
More recently I've been getting the impression that some companies are now paying attention to how many people record or stream, but some are still a little slow to wake up and smell the 21st century.
People who record the show (and skip the ads) don't count, and shouldn't count. Streaming, though (since that has ads which fund the network) ought to be incorporated nowadays. I'm curious as to whether they do or not...
From what I've read, I get the impression that advertisers are very much aware they people are actively avoiding adverts, which is why there's been a steady rise in in-show advertising (those annoying little pop-ups about other shows) and more significantly, product placement. Sure it's always been there, but I've seen it pushed much more aggressiveness in American shows over the last 4-5 years.

With that in mind, I'd say people who record by whatever means should count, I'm just not sure if they *are* counted.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Heck, it's not like I pay attention to the commercials when I'm watching live TV anyway. I either mute the sound, change the channel, or go over to the computer or out to the kitchen while an ad is on. I generally see all advertising as intrusive and annoying and try to avoid it as much as possible. Honestly, I don't understand why advertisers think shoving things aggressively in our faces will make us be more interested in them. It just alienates me and drives me away.
Desperation? As a culture we've been exposed to this kind of advertising for coming on three or four generations now. Longer if you count the pre-TV radio days. As a result we've become more and more conditioned to ignore it. The only way for new brands to get any kind of purchase is to grab attention any way they can. Even if it's annoying, from their perspective at least it's made an impact and that can mean life or death for some products.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 10:44 PM   #562
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post

My layman's understanding would surmise that his 9-deal theatrical contract is an apple.

Doing something on TV, would be an orange contract. So broker a separate deal for TV.

Yeah, I don't get it.

Why would his contract prevent him from appearing in tie-in material set in the same universe?
Old June 9 2013, 12:07 AM   #563
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post

Yeah, I don't get it.

Why would his contract prevent him from appearing in tie-in material set in the same universe?
Because TV and movies usually require different contracts. And the rights/license for a TV series are separate from the movies. Even the animated TV rights can be separate from live action and film.
Old June 9 2013, 12:19 AM   #564
JD
Admiral

I'm young a big NCIS fan, so I am rather frustrated with where this is airing. I'm definitely watching both, one live and one streaming online, I'm just not sure which will be which yet.
Old June 9 2013, 01:52 AM   #565
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Because TV and movies usually require different contracts.
I mean, I get that he would need a new contract for the TV series, but why would his contract for the films expressly forbid participation in such a series?
Old June 9 2013, 06:03 AM   #566
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

It doesn't seem to be stopping Clark Gregg.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:47 PM   #567
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Maybe Gregg didn't have any more MCU movies under contract, while Jackson does - it's possible that they wouldn't be apples and oranges, contractually. In that case, Marvel may not want to use Jackson at his movie rates for what amounts to a cameo.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:57 PM   #568
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
They killed off his character in the movies.
Old June 9 2013, 03:36 PM   #569
Christopher
Writer

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
They killed off his character in the movies.
That has no bearing on contractual commitments. Of course, the studio wouldn't necessarily have to pick up the contractual option to use him -- the contract is more for their benefit, to ensure an actor's availability if they do want to use that actor. But the contract wouldn't become void just because of the character's fictitious death in a movie, since characters can always be resurrected or at least appear in flashbacks.

ATimson wrote: View Post
Maybe Gregg didn't have any more MCU movies under contract, while Jackson does - it's possible that they wouldn't be apples and oranges, contractually. In that case, Marvel may not want to use Jackson at his movie rates for what amounts to a cameo.
I don't think a TV appearance would fall under the movie appearance contract's terms. It would be a separate negotiation. Although a star of Jackson's caliber would be expensive for a TV show. Except that given his level of fandom, he might be willing to, say, do an uncredited appearance and get paid scale.

As for Gregg, consider that it was Marvel's decision to have him killed off in this movie. I have a suspicion that it was their plan all along to spin Coulson off into a TV series and that they killed him off in the movies to enable him to branch off into a parallel, mostly separate track.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:50 PM   #570
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, I don't think the holdup has anything to do with his movie contract limiting him so much as the need to negotiate a new contract. That's always delicate.