Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 8 2013, 01:33 AM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: I thought they said the JJ-comics were canon?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Perhaps Berman/Paramount had a hope that this crew would make it to the big screen, so they wanted younger-ish actors?
No, IIRC, Tim Russ auditioned for TNG and the TOS movies a lot, and was a favourite with the casting people. He managed to score a few small roles with them prior to Tuvok. He was very nearly Geordi. Although Tuvok's description was for an older actor, Russ was able to audition and managed to impress the right people at the right time.
Yeah, I know Russ history with the franchise prior to Voyager (been watching and reading about it since 1975). The above was just a guess on my part since the TNG cast wasn't getting any younger and DS9 was struggling to keep fans attention.
Old June 8 2013, 02:21 AM   #17
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Yeah, I know Russ history with the franchise prior to Voyager (been watching and reading about it since 1975). The above was just a guess on my part since the TNG cast wasn't getting any younger and DS9 was struggling to keep fans attention.
He was born in 1956, so he's a shade older that LeVar Burton, and a shade younger than Kate Mulgrew, so he's not really one of the VOY cast's youngsters.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 06:00 PM   #18
TheAlmanac
Writer

View TheAlmanac's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Nothing against Tim Russ, but I never understood why the VGR producers didn't think any of the older African-American actors they looked at were suitable for the part. There were and are lots of great actors who could've fit the bill. Imagine Roscoe Lee Browne as Tuvok, for instance. That would've been something.
I would tend to think the explanation is similar to why Matt Smith was cast as The Doctor rather than an older actor, as originally intended by Doctor Who's producers--a combination of a really good audition on the part of Tim Russ and the desire to cast someone young enough to handle a tough shooting schedule with its share of action scenes.

The History of Things That Never Were
TheAlmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 10:26 PM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

TheAlmanac wrote: View Post
a combination of a really good audition on the part of Tim Russ and the desire to cast someone young enough to handle a tough shooting schedule with its share of action scenes.
Actually, the reason why Mark Lenard, Suzie Plakson, Jeffrey Combs, Tim Russ, Marc Alaimo, Tom Morga, Armin Shimmerman and a few others got so much repeat work in "Star Trek":

hugely talented, very cooperative, friendly demeanor, and a proven record for absolutely no loud complaints about working under hot latex appliances.
Old June 8 2013, 11:07 PM   #20
tomswift2002
Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
TheAlmanac wrote: View Post
a combination of a really good audition on the part of Tim Russ and the desire to cast someone young enough to handle a tough shooting schedule with its share of action scenes.
Actually, the reason why Mark Lenard, Suzie Plakson, Jeffrey Combs, Tim Russ, Marc Alaimo, Tom Morga, Armin Shimmerman and a few others got so much repeat work in "Star Trek":

hugely talented, very cooperative, friendly demeanor, and a proven record for absolutely no loud complaints about working under hot latex appliances.
Not to mention that when they are in make-up for aliens it is hard to tell their characters apart. I didn't recall picking up on J.G. Hertzler being both the Vulcan Captain in "Emissary" and Chancellor Martok until he made that comment on the DVD bonuses about how his last DS9 appearance was as a random, human extra in the end scenes of the finale.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 11:25 PM   #21
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Funniest in-joke was Jeffrey Combs playing both Weyoun and Brunt in the same episode of DS9 ("The Dogs of War").
Old June 8 2013, 11:54 PM   #22
JD
Admiral

I bet the poor man barely got out of the makeup chair long enough to film his scenes during production of that episode.
Old June 9 2013, 12:07 AM   #23
Christopher
Writer

^Well, I'm sure they shot the Brunt scenes and the Weyoun scenes on different days. So it would've been the same as any other guest shoot, getting the makeup put on every morning and removed every night, except that the makeup changed halfway through the week.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 12:19 AM   #24
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I remember the original Voyager "Bible." Tuvok was an elderly Vulcan who was a mentor to B'Elanna. The EMH was named "Doc Zimmerman." And we weren't allowed to mention what kind of animal Chakotay's spirit guide was because that hadn't been decided yet.

Clearly, everything was set in stone from Day One.

Similarly, the original DS9 "Bible" contained no mention of the Dominion, Founders, Changelings, Vortas, pagh-wraiths, Jem Hadar, or any hint of Odo's origins. All of that came later.
Wasn't Bashir originally older, as well. Then they changed the character because they liked Siddig?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 12:54 AM   #25
Christopher
Writer

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Wasn't Bashir originally older, as well. Then they changed the character because they liked Siddig?
I don't know about that, just that he was going to be named Julian Amoros instead. Maybe what you're thinking of is that they initially wanted Siddig for Sisko because of the commanding power he conveyed in a certain role, then were surprised when they found out he was much younger than they thought, too young to be the father of a teenager.

Old June 9 2013, 03:14 AM   #26
The Wormhole
Admiral

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post

Not to mention that when they are in make-up for aliens it is hard to tell their characters apart. I didn't recall picking up on J.G. Hertzler being both the Vulcan Captain in "Emissary" and Chancellor Martok until he made that comment on the DVD bonuses about how his last DS9 appearance was as a random, human extra in the end scenes of the finale.
Personally, I find Hertzler has a very distinctive voice, which made it clear he was the Vulcan captain in Emissary.
Old June 9 2013, 01:25 PM   #27
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I don't know about that, just that he was going to be named Julian Amoros instead. Maybe what you're thinking of is that they initially wanted Siddig for Sisko because of the commanding power he conveyed in a certain role, then were surprised when they found out he was much younger than they thought, too young to be the father of a teenager.
Amoros. Seriously that would had been cheesy even in Esmeralda.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:36 PM   #28
ATimson
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Personally, I find Hertzler has a very distinctive voice, which made it clear he was the Vulcan captain in Emissary.
True (much like Armin Shimerman does) - but if you never went to go back and rewatch "Emissary" after Martok shows up, you're not likely to twig onto his having been on the show four years earlier.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:55 PM   #29
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

Shoot, I thought they were canon too. I thought that was the point of the new comics being done by JJ's people. Oh well.....I enjoy the books and they are not canon. BTW I am working on my first story. Just for fun. It's not canon either, but it has been fun writing it.
BrentMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 09:02 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

BrentMc wrote: View Post
Shoot, I thought they were canon too. I thought that was the point of the new comics being done by JJ's people.
The point was to keep them as consistent with canon as they could, which isn't the same thing as actually being part of the canon. But I think Bad Robot underestimated how difficult it would be to keep the tie-ins consistent with an ongoing canon. There's a reason the only really canonical novels and tie-ins (like the Del Rey Babylon 5 novels or the Buffy "Season 8/9" comics) are those that come along after the screen series has ended. Ultimately, tie-ins are always secondary to the core work and must yield to it, unless the core work ends.