RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Posts: 5,358,589
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 532
Newest member: space2050

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old June 9 2013, 12:27 AM   #61
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
In STID, her abilities get overshadowed by the men in the film. She speaks Klingon, but nothing comes of it, and then there's a fight where she and her cohorts are saved by the "bad guy." That quickly moves on to a whole thing with him and Kirk, and to me, her "contribution" is easily forgotten.
You completely ignore that all our Starfleet heroes needed to be "saved" by Khan.

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Then, when she beams down to "help" Spock, who's fighting Khan, again, her contribution falls flat to me. She has to rely on her boyfriend to take the bad guy out because he's more than her phaser can handle.
No. She put him in a position from where it was possible for him to overcome Khan.

You also ignore the fact that Dr. Marcus saved Dr. McCoy's life.
beamMe is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 12:37 AM   #62
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Also the fact that Uhura saved Kirk's life by beaming down and convincing Spock not to kill Khan, a fact which McCoy made sure to note when Kirk awoke.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 12:40 AM   #63
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

beamMe wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
In STID, her abilities get overshadowed by the men in the film. She speaks Klingon, but nothing comes of it, and then there's a fight where she and her cohorts are saved by the "bad guy." That quickly moves on to a whole thing with him and Kirk, and to me, her "contribution" is easily forgotten.
You completely ignore that all our Starfleet heroes needed to be "saved" by Khan.
No, that's what "cohorts" means. I think you're ignoring my point, but that's okay.

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Then, when she beams down to "help" Spock, who's fighting Khan, again, her contribution falls flat to me. She has to rely on her boyfriend to take the bad guy out because he's more than her phaser can handle.
No. She put him in a position from where it was possible for him to overcome Khan.

You also ignore the fact that Dr. Marcus saved Dr. McCoy's life.
I said she "helped." I also said it fell flat and stand by that.

And Dr. Marcus. She put him in that position in the first place and her "saving" him came off more as dumb luck than the skill of an intelligent scientist. I suspect that's because they played it for laughs, imo.

It was interesting to find from another thread that Nichele Nichols not knowing Klingon (in TUC?) was also an incompetence written and displayed for laughs, even though, from what I read, she and Leonard Nimoy objected because it didn't make sense for the Communications Officer at the time not to be fully in control of the Klingon language. It is what it is...
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 01:11 AM   #64
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
In STID, her abilities get overshadowed by the men in the film. She speaks Klingon, but nothing comes of it, and then there's a fight where she and her cohorts are saved by the "bad guy." That quickly moves on to a whole thing with him and Kirk, and to me, her "contribution" is easily forgotten.
You completely ignore that all our Starfleet heroes needed to be "saved" by Khan.
No, that's what "cohorts" means. I think you're ignoring my point, but that's okay.
Her language skills didn't help them.
Kirk's skills at the helm of the shuttle didn't help them.

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Then, when she beams down to "help" Spock, who's fighting Khan, again, her contribution falls flat to me. She has to rely on her boyfriend to take the bad guy out because he's more than her phaser can handle.
No. She put him in a position from where it was possible for him to overcome Khan.

You also ignore the fact that Dr. Marcus saved Dr. McCoy's life.
I said she "helped." I also said it fell flat and stand by that.

And Dr. Marcus. She put him in that position in the first place and her "saving" him came off more as dumb luck than the skill of an intelligent scientist. I suspect that's because they played it for laughs, imo.
Had Uhura not beamed down Spock would have died. Her actions didn't fall flat.

You know what?
Your whole attitude is sexist. You put the sex and gender of the characters before anything else.
beamMe is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 01:16 AM   #65
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

beamMe wrote: View Post
You know what?
Your whole attitude is sexist. You put the sex and gender of the characters before anything else.
And you've crossed the line by making it about the poster and not the post.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 01:21 AM   #66
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Then, when she beams down to "help" Spock, who's fighting Khan, again, her contribution falls flat to me. She has to rely on her boyfriend to take the bad guy out because he's more than her phaser can handle.
See this I don't get at all. Spock was getting his ass kicked and his head crushed from a relentless pounding machine of a eugenics superman. The phaser fire did not drop Khan but it did require that he righted himself with each hit.

BAM.. Khan stumbles backwards and then lunges towards her..

BAM.. Khan stumbles backwards and then lunges towards her..

Repeat several times. His head was thrown back and he was needing a moment to refocus and steady himself with each hit. This gave Spock what he needed, breathing space and thinking space and he was able to grab a weapon (prior to this he only had his fists) and smash Khan's head, knock him down and gain the upper hand. No doubt being stunned so many times made Khan less able to fight back.

And you know Uhura could have been the one that beamed down and fired the phaser on kill and won the day, but the story needed Khan alive. That was the only thing that stopped her from being the one who did in the bad guy on that platform.

They worked together and they both took Khan out. Nothing flat there. One thing the scene shows us is just how powerful Khan is and I've said before no one person is ever going to take him out in a fight.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 01:28 AM   #67
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

teacake wrote: View Post
They worked together and they both took Khan out. Nothing flat there. One thing the scene shows us is just how powerful Khan is and I've said before no one person is ever going to take him out in a fight.
Exactly.
beamMe is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 01:35 AM   #68
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...
 
Count Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Awesome
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Maurice wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
You know what?
Your whole attitude is sexist. You put the sex and gender of the characters before anything else.
And you've crossed the line by making it about the poster and not the post.
No, he hasn't. He would have crossed the line if he had insulted her which he hasn't. However, I recommend returning to the topic at hand which has already happened.

And please don't mini-mod, Maurice. If you think a post crosses the line use the notify button instead.
__________________
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi
Count Zero is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 01:42 AM   #69
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

That was an opinion, not a mod-attempt.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 02:04 AM   #70
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: Way back of nowhere
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

teacake wrote: View Post
The only people integral to the story are Kirk and Spock. Everything else is just fluffy stuff window dressing for Kirk and Spock. That includes Bone's bitching about things, Uhura kissing Spock, Marcus undoing torpedoes, Scotty faffing about..

It's Kirk and Spock vs their Enemy. And probably will be next movie.
There aren't many scenes in ST09 or STID without Kirk, Spock or McCoy in it. Come to think of it there aren't many scenes in TOS without Kirk, Spock or McCoy in it.
Its hard to sneak in a woman to woman scene in there without the main leads
CommishSleer is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 02:26 AM   #71
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Even though I bang on about wanting more women and in general prefer women characters I give Star Trek a pass on the male main leads. That is just TOS for you. Kirk and Spock were a duo the way Picard and Riker never were, chemistry and writing just made some magic with those two. I think JJ is doing some stuff towards putting more women into the supporting characters and I also think he could have made a much bigger effort in this film. Yes there are 5 (?) women at the table when the special meeting is called (someone posted a pic with them numbered, might be more). But they are still a distinct minority. And when Kirk and Spock run up to talk to Marcus about Khan being on Chronos he is having a meeting with about 7 other people he dismisses. All of those people are men. That's just silly. How hard would it be to make half of them women? I look at this and think, didn't JJ notice?

So he has a way to go just visually IMO. But I'm totally cool with this being the Kirk and Spock show, that's what I'm here for.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 02:45 AM   #72
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

teacake wrote: View Post
In some of the older TOS movies, TMP in particular, there are people of ALL ages and weights (not a Shatner jest) on the ship. Many people seemingly at least 60 and not Hollywood 60 either. It's such a shock to see because age and weight diversity have been erased from Star Trek unless the whole point of the character is that they are old or a fat stereotype (Klingon cook in DS9, Opera singer in TNG).
Overweight people aren't allowed in the military to begin with (you have to keep your weight at a certain level or you get dismissed.) That's why you don't see a lot of fat people on any Star Trek TV show or in any movie besides Shatner and Doohan.

For the record, the few times I've seen the two new Star Trek movies, I've seen a ton of older people as admirals and commodores, and this was also so on Star Trek TNG (I remember the producers saying that when they cast admirals and commodores, all of them were middle-aged or older than middle aged actors, male and female).

teacake wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Then, when she beams down to "help" Spock, who's fighting Khan, again, her contribution falls flat to me. She has to rely on her boyfriend to take the bad guy out because he's more than her phaser can handle.
See this I don't get at all. Spock was getting his ass kicked and his head crushed from a relentless pounding machine of a eugenics superman. The phaser fire did not drop Khan but it did require that he righted himself with each hit.

BAM.. Khan stumbles backwards and then lunges towards her..

BAM.. Khan stumbles backwards and then lunges towards her..

Repeat several times. His head was thrown back and he was needing a moment to refocus and steady himself with each hit. This gave Spock what he needed, breathing space and thinking space and he was able to grab a weapon (prior to this he only had his fists) and smash Khan's head, knock him down and gain the upper hand. No doubt being stunned so many times made Khan less able to fight back.

And you know Uhura could have been the one that beamed down and fired the phaser on kill and won the day, but the story needed Khan alive. That was the only thing that stopped her from being the one who did in the bad guy on that platform.

They worked together and they both took Khan out. Nothing flat there. One thing the scene shows us is just how powerful Khan is and I've said before no one person is ever going to take him out in a fight.
Add to which, if Khan had taken her on solely, her head would have been crushed just like Admiral Marcus's was. Also, Spock, being stronger than a human being anyway, was the only one to take on Khan at that moment (what everybody forgot about when criticizing this scene.)
Shaka Zulu is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 04:19 AM   #73
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander
 
mattman8907's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

personally this bechdel test can go fornicate with itself.
mattman8907 is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 05:15 AM   #74
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
TOS was never a so-called "ensemble show," and there's no reason that the new producers would turn it into one now.
So this is why we disagree.
It's not why I disagree with you, but whatever.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline  
Old June 9 2013, 05:35 AM   #75
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: Way back of nowhere
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

teacake wrote: View Post
Even though I bang on about wanting more women and in general prefer women characters I give Star Trek a pass on the male main leads. That is just TOS for you. Kirk and Spock were a duo the way Picard and Riker never were, chemistry and writing just made some magic with those two. I think JJ is doing some stuff towards putting more women into the supporting characters and I also think he could have made a much bigger effort in this film. Yes there are 5 (?) women at the table when the special meeting is called (someone posted a pic with them numbered, might be more). But they are still a distinct minority. And when Kirk and Spock run up to talk to Marcus about Khan being on Chronos he is having a meeting with about 7 other people he dismisses. All of those people are men. That's just silly. How hard would it be to make half of them women? I look at this and think, didn't JJ notice?

So he has a way to go just visually IMO. But I'm totally cool with this being the Kirk and Spock show, that's what I'm here for.
I agree.

I don't want to waste time on irrelevant characters women or otherwise, but there might be room/time for a strong woman enemy co-worker who isn't anybody's girlfriend.

nuBSG was derived from a similar virtually all male series of BSG. The way they change the dynamic was having some of the leads change gender. They didn't choose to do this with nuTrek so they sort of have to live with male dominance to some extent.
CommishSleer is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.