Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old May 13 2013, 01:34 PM   #151
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

Re: First time watching Enterprise!

Singularity

Okay so the crew, under the influence of some alien device, err, I mean radiation, develop really intense obsessions over simple things like fixing the captains chair or perfecting a noodle recipe. This would be a much better episode if it hadnít been done before on DS9 though Enterprise does combine it with the standard Ďoh no we wandered into some deadly radiation/weird singularity/contracted alien disease and now its affecting us and its going to take us ages to fly out/find a cure provided there are any crewmembers who can resist the infection/radiation/hallucinations long enough to pilot the ship outta dangerí plot. Granted that standard plot allows for a great deal of variety but after TNG, DS9 and VOY most of those variations have already been done.

I really love Reedís obsession with the updating the security procedures and his Reed alert! Especially how his obsession pays off at the end saving everybody. Phloxís obsession over Travis minor complaint is scary. This episode gets 2 and a half stars.

Vanishing Point

Okay so this was kinda fun. Hoshi is afraid of the transporter. We get to see the possible consequences of it going wrong. Hoshi ends up stuck intangible and unable to interact with people or things around her except for a wire in Archers ceiling. Aliens are trying to destroy Enterprise but only Hoshi knows about them. Then it all turns out to have been a delusion that occurred during the couple seconds it took for Hoshi to be transported.

Itís a kinda fun episode and I love that Hoshi gets to be the focus and show off her acting skills but it doesnít really advance the overall plot, none of the characters learn anything of value and we donít really learn anything of value regarding Hoshi besides that she will rise to the occasion and do her damned best to serve her ship despite her nervousness and fear. So nothing we havenít seen before or could have easily figured out with only a moments thought.

Throughout the episode my dad kept insisting that Hoshiís hair was the reason for her disappearing reappearing act as she always seemed to touch it just before a bout of intangibility. Sometimes my dad gets the weirdest ideas into his head. This epsiode gets 3 stars.
Old May 13 2013, 01:39 PM   #152
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

Precious Cargo

Ooh an arrogant stuck up Princess whose been kidnapped. Just what Enterprise needs or rather what Trip needs since hes the one who gets stuck with her for most of the episode. Have I mentioned before that iím not fond of one episode romances? Those two guys who snatched the Princess form her home sure are stupid. That whole ruse with TíPol and playing with the alien guys ignorance of human/Vulcan culture and laws was great fun but Archer was a little obvious. I was kinda hoping that Archer would lean in to hear the vital information of where Trip and the ice Princess where being held only for the alien guy to blow a raspberry in his ear.

As for Trip and his dealings with the ice Princess, well, the escape bit was okay though one would think being a Princess and political leader to be that she would be a little more savvy about the situation. She seems to believe she can just wait around to be rescued or successfully ransomed. Once they reach the planet its nice that their getting along better but terrible that they quite predictably how they argue and irritate one another only to fall into each others arms. Urgg

This epsiode gets 2 and half stars.

The Catwalk

I love this episode. The whole hiding out in the catwalk to escape a giant cloud of space radiation. I like seeing how they have to set up a secondary and temporary bridge, how everyone has to deal with living in close quarters, being unable to bath, and having little to do to pass the time. The little shanty town that gets set up in the catwalk looks great and the whole idea that whilst their all forced to hide away in the catwalk some people who arenít affected by the radiation can just wander onto the ship and assume it abandoned is great.

I think it would have worked better if the guys boarding the ship had been a lot less human looking, then the whole they arenít affected by radiation thatís deadly to us would have been more believable. The guys they brought onboard at the beginning could have spouted rumours and superstitions about some race that lives in the radiation cloud and raids ships. After a misunderstanding and scuffle Hoshi could have figured out how to communicate and they could have negotiated safe passage through the radiation cloud.

As it turned out the guys they picked up were deserters from a not very nice military who where quite happy to steal the ship and technology they found. I felt a little let down by that partly because my dad accurately predicted this outcome almost as soon as the guys on the run stepped on screen (he does that form time to time Hoshiís hair aside).

But despite that i did really enjoy this episode so it gets 4 stars.
Old May 14 2013, 04:48 AM   #153
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Merlanthe wrote: View Post
Precious Cargo
Have I mentioned before that iím not fond of one episode romances?
It's really more along the lines of a Kirk conquest than a romance..
Once they reach the planet its nice that their getting along better but terrible that they quite predictably how they argue and irritate one another only to fall into each others arms. Urgg
Yes. Urgg. Clearly she wants a fling before the wedding, but they could have tried to do that without all the utterly predictable bullshit.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 01:45 PM   #154
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

So i watched Dawn and i really liked it. First contact with a species inclined to be hostile and without the benefit of a universal translator. That Trip and the alien were stuck in exactly the same situation, stranded on a moon together and taking it in turns to be the captive/captor, was a good way, for lack of a better term, to humanise the alien, making him an understandable and sympathetic character even though he serves the role of antagonist and we dont have a clue what hes saying most of the episode.

I like that Trips little speech about working together didnt really work. Instead we got a goofy fight scene between Trip and the alien that seemed like it would go on forever and eventually ended when both became too exausted to throw a punch.

Dawn gets 5 stars yaay. I started to watch Stigma but got interrupted so will wait til i've seen all of it to post my thoughts. Btw Teacake are you still watching Farscape? Your thread has been so quiet its pretty much disappeared Not that im in any position to talk about quiet threads Eyes dart round wildly as she runs off to hide behind a rock
Old June 7 2013, 03:00 PM   #155
teacake
Admiral

I uhh... got distracted. Kind of needed some light relief for a month so started watching things not set in space

Over it now. Hope to go back at some point.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 7 2013, 11:56 PM   #156
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

I can sympathise with that. I was doing a DS9 rewatch last year with my mum (who couldnt remember having watching it before) and even though we were enjoying it very much we went through it too fast watching nothing but DS9 for nearly half a year. By the time we reached season four we were oversated on DS9 and so reluctant to watch more that we ended up watching a wide variety of movies under the guise of 'just having a break' from DS9 and we have yet to return to our rewatch.

I have started alternating my Enterprise viewing with a rewatch of Criminal Minds. Since their quite different tv shows hopefully this will prevent me form becoming oversated on one show. I was quite enjoying hearing your opinion on Farscape so will look forward to when you get back into it but dont rush yourself on other peoples account if you dont feel like continuing to watch it just yet
Old June 9 2013, 02:13 AM   #157
teacake
Admiral

Yeah I was doing Farscape after a frequently intensive Stargate watch which is 10 seasons.. and I also had other things going on IRL that I just wanted some lighter fare for a while so I ended up watching comedies which hasn't happened in years. Did all of Parks and Rec, like eating a bag of sweets, I am now ready to hit the starships again.

Though I've just started Continuum (on ep 6) which is FANTASTIC. I'd had a go at Fringe which drove me nuts, really couldn't choke the formulaic stuff down and wanted to strangle the old guy by episode 5. JUST SHUT UP! STOP TALKING!! ENOUGH WITH THE ASPERGERY CHARM!!

Continuum is all arcs and time travel and wonderful Stargate actors and it's great. So I'm currently doing Continuum, hoping to get back to Farscape and interrupting it all once the SG:U rewatch thread is started by Sindatur. There's my tv viewing report for y'all.

Oh and Enterprise is lovely

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 1 2013, 12:55 AM   #158
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I can sympathise with that. I was doing a DS9 rewatch last year with my mum (who couldnt remember having watching it before) and even though we were enjoying it very much we went through it too fast watching nothing but DS9 for nearly half a year. By the time we reached season four we were oversated on DS9 and so reluctant to watch more that we ended up watching a wide variety of movies under the guise of 'just having a break' from DS9 and we have yet to return to our rewatch.

I have started alternating my Enterprise viewing with a rewatch of Criminal Minds. Since their quite different tv shows hopefully this will prevent me form becoming oversated on one show. I was quite enjoying hearing your opinion on Farscape so will look forward to when you get back into it but dont rush yourself on other peoples account if you dont feel like continuing to watch it just yet
Not sure how I did it since I have like no free time, but I blazed through DS9 in under 3 months. Sad it's over but I am enjoying watching ENT now for the first time!
Old July 1 2013, 01:21 AM   #159
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

teacake wrote: View Post
Yeah I was doing Farscape after a frequently intensive Stargate watch which is 10 seasons.. and I also had other things going on IRL that I just wanted some lighter fare for a while so I ended up watching comedies which hasn't happened in years. Did all of Parks and Rec, like eating a bag of sweets, I am now ready to hit the starships again.

Though I've just started Continuum (on ep 6) which is FANTASTIC. I'd had a go at Fringe which drove me nuts, really couldn't choke the formulaic stuff down and wanted to strangle the old guy by episode 5. JUST SHUT UP! STOP TALKING!! ENOUGH WITH THE ASPERGERY CHARM!!

Continuum is all arcs and time travel and wonderful Stargate actors and it's great. So I'm currently doing Continuum, hoping to get back to Farscape and interrupting it all once the SG:U rewatch thread is started by Sindatur. There's my tv viewing report for y'all.

Oh and Enterprise is lovely
My dad keeps telling me to watch Continuum, he raves about it. I'll probably watch it once I am completely 100% done watching all Trek lol.
Old July 1 2013, 02:17 AM   #160
teacake
Admiral

I love Continuum. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 21 2013, 06:47 PM   #161
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

I havent had any time to watch stuff lately but i havent given up on watching Enterprise. I plan to start watching it again in september so will start posting my thoughts about episode again then. Just thought i would mention this in case anyone had been following my first time watching and wanted to continue following.

Teacake is Rachel Nichols a good actress in Continuum? I've only ever seen her in Criminal Minds and she was terrible but im not sure how much was due to writing/direction or the actress or both as the writing was starting to go down in quality that season but the other cast members still managed to give really good perfomances.
Old September 19 2013, 04:13 PM   #162
Yanks
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
I love Continuum. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.
Better than The Ark of Truth I thought.
Old September 19 2013, 04:21 PM   #163
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Teacake is Rachel Nichols a good actress in Continuum?
I like her allot.

She makes a pretty hot Orion Slave Girl as well
Old November 6 2013, 01:37 AM   #164
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

Thatís Rachel Nichols

I never would have guessed. Anyhow in other news I finished watching season 2 of Enterprise yaaay. I will post my thoughts on all the episodes I watched before I start season 3 though it may take a couple days.

Stigma

It felt like Típols illness came outta left field and didnít like that Archer was initially angry at Típol and Phlox for not revealing confidential medical info that did not in any way affect Típols ability to do her job (at least not yet anyhow).

The rest of the episode was good Archer was properly angry on Típols behalf and frustrated by her unwillingness to stand up for herself. Típol had a great reason for not revealing the circumstances that led to her affliction. The Vulcan doctor who outed himself for her was a good character I liked him. I hope we get some follow up on this later down the line. This episode gets four stars.
Old November 6 2013, 01:39 AM   #165
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

Ceasefire brings the return of Shran yaaay. So I really liked this episode so much that I watched it twice. Ambassador Soval never really registered before. He just seemed to be there but not really stand out. After watching Ceasefire I really like him.

Soval seems to strongly dislike Archer and I cant really blame him given Archers rude behaviour towards Vulcans in general especially during season one. He hasnít spent the last season and a half hanging out on Enterprise with Archer so he hasnít seen Archers attitude towards Vulcans gradually change. From his perspective he has been putting a lot fo hard work and time into opening talks with the Andorians with the hope of ending the conflict only to be told that he has to have Archer, that aggressive and highly illogical human, as a mediator or the Andorians wont listen.

But unlike a fair few Vulcans in this series he doesnít let his own dislike of Archer blind his reasoning or interfere with his ambassador duties. He does what is best for bringing an end to the conflict and agrees to go meet with Shran. Then comes the fun part of the episode as the shuttle gets shot down and our heroes have to wander round a war zone dodging gunfire and trading snarky banter. I love this whole setup and how Sovalís previous experience of the planet ties in and is useful.

The situation with Shrans second in command betraying the negotiations before they even begin is given enough foreshadowing to be predictable but they also give her enough development to be more than just an obvious villain. I find it funny that Archer got beat up by her but I am also oddly pleased that when he fought back he didnít hold back or try to underestimate her. She was an experienced soldier who had earned her high rank even if she did end up losing it all due to villainous plotting.

Little touches that I liked where Soval not understanding what the balls in your court meant, his questioning why humans are so fixated on Vulcan ears and Típols brilliant response, the look of smug satisfaction on Reeds face when told to initiate red alert, Shranís toast to mutual dissatisfaction of everyone and how vulcans donít drink but Soval was willing to make an exception.

This episode gets a full five stars