RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 746
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 9 2013, 01:34 AM   #16
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Re: What stories from history would you like to see made into movies?

Gojira wrote: View Post
William I the Conqueror of England and his conquest for the throne.

I wrote about this topic in my blog. European History and American Movies

http://europeanroyalhistory.wordpres...erican-movies/
Either this or any other event from when the Romans left Britain until William The Conqueror.
Old June 9 2013, 02:07 AM   #17
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

William the Conqueror was a brutal son of a bitch when he was challenged. A bio of him would have to be unflinchingly honest. Didn't he order his army to lay waste to the populations of some northern villages who had dared rebel against his rule?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:44 AM   #18
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
William the Conqueror was a brutal son of a bitch when he was challenged. A bio of him would have to be unflinchingly honest. Didn't he order his army to lay waste to the populations of some northern villages who had dared rebel against his rule?
Yes, it's called Harrying of the North. Northern English lords, who were used to semi-independence and were basically half Scandinavian from many years of Viking rule, rebelled against Normans for several years until William went there with an army and burned half of Northumbria.
Old June 9 2013, 03:52 AM   #19
Lowdarzz
Captain

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I'd like to see Xenophon's Anabasis turned into a 300 Sequel. It basically reads like one anyway (it's seriously epic). You can call it "The March of the Ten Thousand[/url] or something like that.
I completely agree. I've read a couple translations and the Long March always comes across as one of the best ancient action adventure stories that's never been adapted to film.

That said, I'm not sure about making it in the vein of 300. I'd prefer an adaptation similar to the 1950's epics.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:08 AM   #20
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Ahhhhh, yes. The Harrying of the North. That's what I remember reading about. I find the entire history of the English monarchy after 1066 fascinating in the extreme. And before.

I'd love a movie/mini series that seriously treated the whole farce of Henry VIII divorcing Catherine of Aragon on the pretext that it was a sin she'd supposedly slept with her first husband, Henry's deceased older brother, Arthur. The examination of gender roles in the monarchy (a serious examination, not some romantic pseudo history slop like "The Other Boleyn Girl") would be riveting: Henry's desire for a male heir at all costs, Henry's all consuming desire for Anne Boleyn and, most significant of all, the historical falsity that Catherine, while a very good woman who loved Henry dearly, was too pious and pure to have told a lie about never having slept with Arthur. It's been genuinely accepted in academic/historical circles that Catherine never slept with Arthur.

The only problem with that is that more modern historians have finally been granted access to archived letters from Spanish sources from the time period written by female relatives and acquaintances of Catherine.....and every correspondence, though they don't say it outright, makes it obvious that Catherine did lie. They all reference a necessary falsehood. There is zero physical evidence that Arthur was too frail to have done the deed. It's a historical fiction invented by Catherine's duenna/governess after Arthur unexpectedly died four months after the marriage. She wanted to protect Catherine's place in the English monarchy and all the political advantages of a Spanish/English alliance. The bitch of it for poor Catherine was that, in the beginning, her in-laws didn't care if she'd slept with Arthur. Henry only started caring when he didn't have a male heir 20 years later. Catherine didn't want her daughter to lose her place and be declared a bastard. It was unthinkable. How could she admit after all those years she lied? It would have been humiliating and given Henry justification. It's hard not to feel for the poor woman.

To the modern mind, it's unjust and unfair, but it would have been the disgrace of Catherine and her daughter had she told the truth. All she did was sleep with her first husband. It's a sordid, fascinating, tragic tale that resulted in England splitting from the pope, all for Henry's desire to divorce. It changed history. It should get a serious treatment for once. No more of the theatrical treatment of Catherine, while a good person, as incapable of telling a lie. Also, it would be nice to see a physically correct depiction. She wasn't a swarthy, statuesque woman. Catherine of Aragon stood four feet ten inches tall, had fair skin, blue green eyes and strawberry blond hair so long she could sit on it if it wasn't pinned up. Every portrait of her depicts a petite, fair skinned, light haired woman.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old June 9 2013, 04:33 AM   #21
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

An Andrew Jackson mini-series, in the vain of HBO's John Adams, could be great.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:34 AM   #22
scotpens
Vice Admiral

The Tulsa Race Riot of 1921, which most Americans today probably know nothing about, would make a great docudrama. Actually calling it a "riot" is an understatement -- it was more like a small war.

I've always wanted to see an epic-scale, fact-based disaster flick about the Halifax Explosion of 1917, which destroyed half the city and left at least 2000 dead and thousands more injured.
Old June 9 2013, 04:46 AM   #23
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Being from Omaha, I'd love a film version of the story of Tom Dennison. Starring, of course, this man.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 05:06 AM   #24
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Andrew Jackson. Now there's a dicy biography waiting to happen. The man accomplished a great deal, but talk about a racist. Fascinating history, but yowza.

Old June 9 2013, 03:09 PM   #25
lennier1
Commodore

The events and aftermath of Perry's "Black Ships", told from both, an American and Japanese perspective (similar to Tora, Tora, Tora). You'd probably need a miniseries for that.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 08:23 PM   #26
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
I've always wanted to see an epic-scale, fact-based disaster flick about the Halifax Explosion of 1917, which destroyed half the city and left at least 2000 dead and thousands more injured.

There was a Docudrama CBC did awhile back about that, but yeah, would make for an interesting movie.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 09:12 PM   #27
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Something about African history as African history is rarely taught in U.S. schools. I think it'd make for a fascinating film.
History from the point of view of my high school:

First there was Greece, then Greece went away. Then there was Rome. Then Rome went away.
Then there were Dark Ages.
Then all the sudden, Henry VII was king of England. His descendants killed a bunch of people and exchanged time on the throne.
Then there were a bunch of European explorers.
Then the Colonies were formed in the New World, and a little later they rebelled.
And then finally, there was the US.

Nothing happened in Asia between Marco Polo visiting it and Communism. Nothing happened in Africa until Europeans decided to start kidnapping people from there.

So yes, any movie focusing on parts of African or Asian history would be awesome. I've read some old Chinese literature that I think would make wonderful films.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 09:46 PM   #28
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I'd love to see the life story of Harriet Quimby.

Also, I think a dramatization of Grace Kelly's friendship with Josephine Baker would be fantastic.
Old June 9 2013, 10:42 PM   #29
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I'd also love to see a movie about Pompei.

The first half a hedonistic bathhouse romp, the second half a volcano exploding and destroying it all.
The good news is there's a Pompeii movie on the way. It's scheduled for release on the 28th February 2014. The bad news is it's being directed by Paul W.S. Anderson. It stars Kit Harington, Emily Browning, Jared Harris, Kiefer Sutherland, Carrie-Anne Moss, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, and Jessica Lucas.
Old June 9 2013, 10:44 PM   #30
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Kit Harrington? He sucks. Gods, how I wish Richard Madden had been cast as Jon Snow. Anyone who saw the RW on GT will know what I mean. What a waste of a talented actor.