RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,448
Posts: 5,508,042
Members: 25,131
Currently online: 463
Newest member: xunixan

TrekToday headlines

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 8 2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Crazyewok
Commander
 
Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Everyone seems to rave over it.

But

I found the whole thing well boring.......


I watch startrek for the science fictions. The whole them of future and space ect

I don't watch startrek to sit and watch a 1950's drama about racism.

Thge only good thing about the whole thing was the acting.

By the way I find most holodeck episodes boring as hell too.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Everyone seems to rave over it.

But

I found the whole thing well boring.......


I watch startrek for the science fictions. The whole them of future and space ect

I don't watch startrek to sit and watch a 1950's drama about racism.

Thge only good thing about the whole thing was the acting.

By the way I find most holodeck episodes boring as hell too.
I polled the local electorate, and the answer to your question is "yes."
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 11:42 PM   #3
DS9forever
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

You sure are; you seem to have missed the whole point of Star Trek. Well done.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 11:58 PM   #4
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses
 
The Festivus Awakens's Avatar
 
Location: Performing Festivus Miracles
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
I watch startrek for the science fictions. The whole them of future and space ect

I don't watch startrek to sit and watch a 1950's drama about racism.
Well, you seem to have missed the point of not only much of Star Trek, but of science fiction in general. The best science fiction is supposed to explore not just the limits of space, the mind, or technology, but also explore the human condition in the process. It's supposed to examine real world issues through the lens of a futuristic or alternative setting so we can get a new perspective on it, which is what FBtS and numerous other DS9 and Star Trek episodes did as well.

There are plenty of episodes full of space battles and weird planets and aliens to satisfy those preferences, so it's a shame you were so dismissive of this episode based on its format and subject matter. I would suggest giving it another shot, and after that, checking out the original series if you have access to it so you can see that dealing with social issues has been a part of the franchise from the start.

Star Trek, despite the futuristic setting, is ultimately about the human condition. It's no accident that ST:TMP ended with this message:

__________________
Locutus of Bored
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Crazyewok
Commander
 
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

DS9forever wrote: View Post
You sure are; you seem to have missed the whole point of Star Trek. Well done.
What point is that?

If they wanted to do a commentry on racism then why not set it in the normal trek verse or do a real time travel plot.

I just dont dig the idea of a vision premise.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 12:09 AM   #6
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

I didn't dislike the episode, I just didn't understand it. And I'm not talking about the social commentary. That was pretty obvious. What eluded me was why did the Prophets give Sisko a vision about 1953 New York when he started the episode depressed about the death of a friend? That particular plot point was brought up, but then went nowhere. The Prophets' motives seems incoherent in this one.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 12:13 AM   #7
Crazyewok
Commander
 
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

Well, you seem to have missed the point of not only much of Star Trek, but of science fiction in general.
Not really I get all the other episodes like Duet, in the pale moon light ect

It just a dont like this one. Just my personael prefrence really

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
The best science fiction is supposed to explore not just the limits of space, the mind, or technology, but also explore the human condition in the process.
Yup I get that but to me true sci fi explores the human condition within the context of other sci fi thems otherwise it just the fi or fiction.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
It's supposed to examine real world issues through the lens of a futuristic or alternative setting
Well to me it fails on the fact its not useing a futuristic lens. Well not fail as its obviouly a popular episode but its why I dont like it.



Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
you can see that dealing with social issues has been a part of the franchise from the start.
As stated I understand that. I love other deep episodes just not this one.


Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Star Trek, despite the futuristic setting, is ultimately about the human condition.
Then why bother with the future premise? Why bother then with the star part of star trek? Why not just set it on earth and have a series done on the aventures on Benny Russell?
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
It's no accident that ST:TMP ended with this message:

Worst film to quote as its my secound least favorite
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 01:38 AM   #8
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

RandyS wrote: View Post
I didn't dislike the episode, I just didn't understand it. And I'm not talking about the social commentary. That was pretty obvious. What eluded me was why did the Prophets give Sisko a vision about 1953 New York when he started the episode depressed about the death of a friend? That particular plot point was brought up, but then went nowhere. The Prophets' motives seems incoherent in this one.
Their motives always have a random element to them. As if they just noticed something one day and swatted at it. I think they pulled that shit out of Sisko's brain and dumped him in it with as much purpose as you have patting a dog's head as it walks past you.

Oh and it's a wonderful episode. I so love watching it with people for the first time as they realize who Martok is etc.. and you can see the actors are having a great time with it.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:13 AM   #9
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Yup I get that but to me true sci fi explores the human condition within the context of other sci fi thems otherwise it just the fi or fiction.
What "themes" are specific to science fiction? I thought theme and genre were mutually exclusive, no?

Also, you'll have to explain why magical, non-corporeal aliens, who exist beyond space and time and can insert a human into a past alternate-reality, aren't science fiction.

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Worst film to quote as its my secound least favorite
Wouldn't that make it the second to worst film to quote?

It was, however, it was the only one written by the guy who created the whole thing.

Just sayin'.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:22 AM   #10
Admiral_Sisko
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
DS9forever wrote: View Post
You sure are; you seem to have missed the whole point of Star Trek. Well done.
What point is that?

If they wanted to do a commentry on racism then why not set it in the normal trek verse or do a real time travel plot.

I just dont dig the idea of a vision premise.
It's sometimes helpful to use contrast to drive home a particular point. The Star Trek universe presents a uniform, utopian society, and it's easy to view problems such as racism as an abstraction when faced with the ideals and views of the Federation. The vision experienced by Sisko allows the audience to see the characters of Deep Space 9 as they may have been had they lived in a world dominated by intolerance, a world that is still extremely relevant in our own society, unfortunately, for we are not as far removed from the problems of the early-to-mid-twentieth century.

The vision is made all the more powerful by the episode's conclusion, the scene in which Sisko is speaking with his father and offers the idea that perhaps Deep Space 9 is the illusion- that Benny Russell dreams of the universe that Sisko and company live in- an idea that many who love Star Trek can relate to.
Admiral_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:26 AM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

I didn't dislike it but it was somewhat out there and random to me. The message of the episode was great, but really is out of context with the rest of the show. DS9 demonstrated any number of times that it can deal with social issues in context with the setting of the universe it's in after all.

But yeah, as this thread demonstrates there are those who seem to think anyone who doesn't like it as much as they do are missing out on some great truth. Though likes and dislikes are subjective things to each individual person. I tend to skip over it when I'm rewatching just because it does derail from the rest of the plot.

My favorite part of the episode is seeing the actors that play aliens out of makeup.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:37 AM   #12
Cookies and Cake
Admiral
 
Location: North America
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

I think Far Beyond the Stars is the best DS9 episode.
__________________
CorporalCaptain
Cookies and Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:45 AM   #13
Mr_Homn
Captain
 
Mr_Homn's Avatar
 
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

I think it's a pretty dull episode, and I agree with the OP. Not impressed with Avery Brook's embarrassingly bad over-acting on display in the episode either.
__________________
"Thank you.. for the drinks."
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:04 AM   #14
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Admiral_Sisko wrote: View Post
Crazyewok wrote: View Post
DS9forever wrote: View Post
You sure are; you seem to have missed the whole point of Star Trek. Well done.
What point is that?

If they wanted to do a commentry on racism then why not set it in the normal trek verse or do a real time travel plot.

I just dont dig the idea of a vision premise.
It's sometimes helpful to use contrast to drive home a particular point. The Star Trek universe presents a uniform, utopian society, and it's easy to view problems such as racism as an abstraction when faced with the ideals and views of the Federation. The vision experienced by Sisko allows the audience to see the characters of Deep Space 9 as they may have been had they lived in a world dominated by intolerance, a world that is still extremely relevant in our own society, unfortunately, for we are not as far removed from the problems of the early-to-mid-twentieth century.

The vision is made all the more powerful by the episode's conclusion, the scene in which Sisko is speaking with his father and offers the idea that perhaps Deep Space 9 is the illusion- that Benny Russell dreams of the universe that Sisko and company live in- an idea that many who love Star Trek can relate to.
I kind of had the idea that making Benjamin Sisko doubt his hold on sanity was the work of the pah-wraiths, trying to drive fear and uncertainty through him. An uncertain, unable to command Sisko would be far less dangerous than a mad as hell, resolute Emissary. Which is why I like that scene where Sisko's father, playing the role of the oracle, is guiding Ben to a path straight and true.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:19 AM   #15
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I think Far Beyond the Stars is the best DS9 episode.
So does Avery Brooks. I think it's his favorite DS9 episode he ever did.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.