Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 65 83.33%
Above average 9 11.54%
Average 2 2.56%
Below average 1 1.28%
Poor 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 6 2013, 02:29 AM   #241
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

I'll never get used to ASOIAF fans defending characters for child-killing, honestly (see also: Jaime).
Venardhi wrote: View Post
They've done Sandor a terrible disservice in the show. He is barely a character, much less one you can apply a morality to. It is best not to dwell on him too long.
He's alright. The thing about the show is it has so many characters, some are going to be lost in the shuffle (and while Sandor is a fan favourite, he's not that big in terms of the actual amount of time he has in the books.) I'd say Sansa's been hurt a bit more.
Old June 6 2013, 02:44 AM   #242
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

The way I see it, Jaime has paid his penance for tossing Bran from the window. He has lost his hand, which was essential for his swordsmanship, his claim to fame. He, like Bran, is now a cripple. We can stop dwelling on that, and allow him to grow as a character.
Old June 6 2013, 02:47 AM   #243
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Robert was the ultimate authority at that point...
Yeah, and after Cersei essentially sent him out for the slaughter, don't you think she and her dear son would remember the "dog" that tried to go over their heads. They'd surely have his just to make a point.

The Lannisters always pay their debts.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 02:53 AM   #244
Dream
Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
The way I see it, Jaime has paid his penance for tossing Bran from the window. He has lost his hand, which was essential for his swordsmanship, his claim to fame. He, like Bran, is now a cripple. We can stop dwelling on that, and allow him to grow as a character.
It would be justice if he was actually punished for his crime of attempted murder or if it had been Robb who have taken his hand.

No, Jaime lost his hand because he pissed off Locke instead of shutting up like should have after protecting Brienne.

Two totally unrelated events.
Old June 6 2013, 03:02 AM   #245
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

And, since the "Red God" seems to be real in this world and allowed Dog to win his fight with Dundarian, it could be metaphysically argued that he was judged "not guilty" of the crime - at least, as far as an in-world explanation is concerned.
Old June 6 2013, 03:04 AM   #246
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I don't think Bran should take it personally that he is now a cripple. Jaime HAD to do it or he might have gotten sent on his own boar death hunt once it went public.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 03:17 AM   #247
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Dream wrote: View Post
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
It would be justice if he was actually punished for his crime of attempted murder or if it had been Robb who have taken his hand.

No, Jaime lost his hand because he pissed off Locke instead of shutting up like should have after protecting Brienne.

Two totally unrelated events.
Of course it's thematic justice, and not actual in-world justice. I'm not saying that if the truth came out about what he did that he should not be held responsible just because of his hand.
Old June 6 2013, 04:28 AM   #248
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
The Hound killed the butcher's boy because of the Prince's orders. It was an evil act, but disobeying Joffrey might have meant his own death.

The only way Arya's friend could have been saved if Robert or Cersei had gone over Joffrey's head and ordered the Hound not to do it. Cersei didn't give a shit about the death, and Robert lets his son get away with everything.

I don't blame the Hound or Arya for hating him for the murder. The boy was doomed the moment Joffrey set his eyes on him.
"I was just following orders" Is not an acceptable defense. It doesn't absolve the perpetrator of his actions. Yes the Hound may have been killed for disobeying Joffery (Or he might not have as Robert was the King at the time) bur so what? He still killed that boy.
Aeolusdallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 11:58 PM   #249
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

A feeling of dread grew throughout the episode as the big event drew near. The opening attack on Talisa was shocking in its brutality. As things played on I started to feel that the execution - no pun intended - of the scene wasn't quite matching up to that of Ned's death and the Battle of Blackwater, although perhaps exceedingly high expectations played a part in that feeling, but then Michelle Fairley delivered an astonishing performance in the scene's closing moments. It's that which will long live on as a moment of greatness in television history.
Old June 8 2013, 09:29 PM   #250
publiusr
Commodore

It ranks up there with the Dream episode of MASH--even surpassing it, I'd say.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote