Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 2 2013, 09:00 PM   #46
publiusr
Commodore

Re: concept art and set photos!

Has that same clean cut look from the Engineers in Prometheus.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 09:19 PM   #47
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Belz... wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
I think it came out on the same day that the DVD was released, last time around, so mid-November might be a likely time to look for a new book.
According to Amazon, November 17th, although I could swear I purchased it in May. Well, reality trumps memory !
I guess it may have been available for pre-order as early as May, but I know that the thread discussing it in this forum was started at the end of October (the book apparently shipped a couple of weeks ahead of time from one of the European Amazons.)
Old June 2 2013, 10:05 PM   #48
Belz...
Fleet Captain

No, I'm sure it's my memory playing tricks on me.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 02:57 PM   #49
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Some more art

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 08:37 PM   #50
publiusr
Commodore

I like the trees...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 09:11 PM   #51
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Is it me or is that Worf and the two Klingons from Heart of Glory doing the death scream on the lower right?
Old June 8 2013, 09:13 PM   #52
beamMe
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Is it me or is that Worf and the two Klingons from Heart of Glory doing the death scream on the lower right?
No, it's not you, it IS Worf and those two other Klingons.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 09:19 PM   #53
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Source URL for those designs?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 09:38 PM   #54
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

Not a fan of that odd Klingon design but really glad to see some of the other concept art.
Old June 8 2013, 09:41 PM   #55
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

^^ Love the world concept art and space suit design.
Old June 8 2013, 10:18 PM   #56
throwback
Captain

Well, for me, I think there is a difference between what Pixar does and what the people for the Star Trek films do. People at Pixar for their latest film, Brave, went to Scotland and studied the architecture of castles. I get the feeling that the people involved in these ST filmes didn't study the architecture of ships. I am looking at the pictures of the interior of bridges, especially warships, and those bridges are not overwhelmingly white. They are lit enough for the people to work in and for them to read the consoles. And, i feel there is a disconnect between the futuristic look of the bridge, sickbay, and corridors and the engineering sets. They feel to me like two different worlds - I don't see the transition between the two.

From having watched documentaries on ships, I know that if you are going to have pipes in engineering that you going to have pipes in other parts of the ships. (Just to cite one example.) if the designers had taken some of the design ideas from TOS, such as piping in the corridors, and exposed machinery, than I might buy the idea that engineering looks like a throwback to a 20th century facility.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 10:44 PM   #57
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I always figure the pipes on the upper levels would be hidden by the paneling. I can see pipes in my basement but not the rest of the house, doesn't mean those pipes don't exist.
Old June 8 2013, 10:47 PM   #58
Belz...
Fleet Captain

throwback wrote: View Post
Well, for me, I think there is a difference between what Pixar does and what the people for the Star Trek films do. People at Pixar for their latest film, Brave, went to Scotland and studied the architecture of castles. I get the feeling that the people involved in these ST filmes didn't study the architecture of ships.
You expect them to go to the future and get inspiration from space navies for their designs ?

I want them to invent their own stuff. That's what sci-fi is all about. If you do things exactly like real-life, where's the fun ?

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 12:36 AM   #59
beamMe
Fleet Captain

throwback wrote: View Post
Well, for me, I think there is a difference between what Pixar does and what the people for the Star Trek films do. People at Pixar for their latest film, Brave, went to Scotland and studied the architecture of castles. I get the feeling that the people involved in these ST filmes didn't study the architecture of ships. I am looking at the pictures of the interior of bridges, especially warships, and those bridges are not overwhelmingly white. They are lit enough for the people to work in and for them to read the consoles. And, i feel there is a disconnect between the futuristic look of the bridge, sickbay, and corridors and the engineering sets. They feel to me like two different worlds - I don't see the transition between the two.
There are transitions there; they are called doors.

And, whatdoyouknow, the bridge of the warship we saw in the movie was rather dark.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:58 AM   #60
throwback
Captain

Yes, I do, for I think the current bridge would be unworkable for anyone over a long period of time. And, the use of white as a visual metaphor for futuristic technology is not new - it has been used for decades. For instance, the interiors of the station and Discovery in 2001.

I suffer from severe anxiety and depression, and I am more attuned to colors than I suppose is humanly possible. For me, I am unable to enter a Target store without hyperventilating. The red is intense.

So, what does white signify?

Just as black is total absorption, so white is total reflection. In effect, it reflects the full force of the spectrum into our eyes. Thus it also creates barriers, but differently from black, and it is often a strain to look at. It communicates, "Touch me not!" White is purity and, like black, uncompromising; it is clean, hygienic, and sterile. The concept of sterility can also be negative. Visually, white gives a heightened perception of space. The negative effect of white on warm colours is to make them look and feel garish.
(http://www.colour-affects.co.uk/psyc...ies-of-colours)

As for the interior color of the Vengeance, that well isn't new either. In the old Westerns, the good guys wore white hats and the bad guys wore black hats. As a viewer, we know the language of colors, and we associate white with good and black with bad. To see this dichotomy at work, look to the first Star Wars.

As for the interactive screens, I suppose over time that the user becomes accustomed to them. As a first time user, they seem cluttered.

Last edited by throwback; June 9 2013 at 05:16 AM.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote