Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 8 2013, 02:54 AM   #241
throwback
Captain

Re: Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

I think that Microsoft is becoming more anti-consumer, more then they are already, which will, eventually, bite them in the rear.

I have a XBOX Live account, which I haven't updated in a while. My e-mail address has changed. I don't remember the password nor the security question. So, I attempted to recover my account, which ended in failure as I didn't provide them enough information.

They want me to provide information on my e-mails - the subject of each - and the people I sent my e-mails to. I have never used the service to send e-mails. And, I feel this is an intrusion into my privacy.

There is no contact phone number to speak to a representative. They suggest talking to other people who have similar issues on their forums. How could these people help me when they don't know me?

I think the corporation believes that the consumers serve them, and not the other way around. When the time comes for my account to be automatically deducted from our bank account, I am placing an automatic block on the payment.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 03:08 AM   #242
ATimson
Rear Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
If games were equivalent to books, which I think they are as both are intellectual properties, then the practice described by Microsoft would be on par with closing libraries and used book stores and restricting people's abilities to do what they want with their books.
You mean like what publishers are trying to do by replacing mass-market paperbacks with ebooks?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 04:42 AM   #243
throwback
Captain

I was reading up on DRM. There is concern by some that we creating a condition where the media products of our time may not be preserved for future generations, because of technological advancements and/or the loss of technology.

My chief concern with the new XBOX and PS4 is with cost. I don't believe the corporation spin on what will happen after the demise of the used game market.

As for ebooks, there is a difference. I can choose to be like my mother, and get the books downloaded, or I can choose be like me, where I buy the physical copy. Microsoft is not giving the consumer those options - there is one option - buy the digital product. Excuse me, buy the license to the game.
Old June 8 2013, 05:10 AM   #244
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

If it comes to pass that there is no used games, and if it comes to pass that Gamefly is out of business, then I will have to stop playing video games.
So stick with your 360 or buy a Vectrex or something. Plenty of other options for video games out there besides the XBone or a PC.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 10:15 AM   #245
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Well Microsoft are being honest in an advertising campaign at least.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 07:52 PM   #246
throwback
Captain

I have looked at other systems, and they don't seem to have as diverse a game library as the XBOX. I could be wrong. I am figuring that the next generation will have a similar trend. I know that Microsoft is having 15 exclusive games - I don't know how many PS4 will have.
Old June 8 2013, 08:08 PM   #247
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

PS3 and Xbox 360 have a similar number of games on them. As for exclusives you can fairly bet that for the most part exclusives will be first party and second party titles only. Any 3rd party will be timed exclusive only.

PS3
There are currently 772 games (multiplatform: 621; exclusive: 143; console exclusive: 8) and 15 cancelled games on this list as of January 14, 2013.

Xbox 360
There are currently 959 games (multiplatform: 757; exclusive: 123; console exclusive: 79) on this list as of June 06, 2013.
That's with Xbox having a year longer on release and having 5 months more info collected for the list.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
Old June 8 2013, 08:33 PM   #248
Scherazade
Ensign

I have looked at other systems, and they don't seem to have as diverse a game library as the XBOX. I could be wrong. I am figuring that the next generation will have a similar trend. I know that Microsoft is having 15 exclusive games - I don't know how many PS4 will have.
I have a PS3 and a 360, and I think the PS3 has the better collection of exclusive games, at least when it comes to retail games. I think 360 has a lot of exclusives through the Xbox Live Arcade, though the PSN is no slouch.

If the PS4 has some sort of online requirement I won't buy it. Which would suck because it means I won't be able to play any more of Sony's 1st party exclusive's
Scherazade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 02:22 PM   #249
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Early this gen, I feel the 360 had the better exclusives, but around 09/10 they switched to focus development on Kinect games and from then on Sony had the better exclusives.
Old June 10 2013, 06:59 PM   #250
Sheep
Vice Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Early this gen, I feel the 360 had the better exclusives, but around 09/10 they switched to focus development on Kinect games and from then on Sony had the better exclusives.
This pretty much sums it up. Around 09/10 (if not a little bit sooner), Microsoft jettisoned most of its first party development for some inexplicable reason. Most third party games appear on both consoles and are usually very similar which leaves first party games as what distinguishes one console from another. Not sure why Microsoft doesn't recognize that.
Old June 10 2013, 07:05 PM   #251
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

499€!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Snowy Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:09 PM   #252
Jax
Admiral

Good show but dangerous pricing model, PS3 esq slow start could happen after initial units sell out on day 1 (week 1) in November.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:09 PM   #253
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

US $499.
EU €499.
UK £430.

Who would have thought, EU/Uk get the big rip off. lol

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:35 PM   #254
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

I saw nothing to convince me my misgivings can be overlooked, so combination of nothing "must have" and price tell me I won't be buying it any time soon.
Old June 10 2013, 07:49 PM   #255
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

The best part of the conference was when the sound cut out... twice.

But unless Sony does something crazy, Microsoft pretty much lost me. Every decent game is multiplat.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote