Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 7 2013, 11:15 PM   #16
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Whom Gods Destroy---It's a Bargain!

Andorian tabard by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

I like how one of the human inmates is wearing a brown suede Andorian tabard and the Andorian inmate is in a pink serape with feather boa trim. Did they swap, do you think?

The Orion makeup caused lots of problems because Yvonne Craig, as Marta, had to keep touching Shatner's face and uniform but not leave behind green streaks. They tried about three types of green makeup during the filming, but each one photographed very differently, making continuity and editing extremely tricky.

Also love that Garth wears one gold boot and one silver boot. And watch his ring explode and fly off his finger during a tantrum!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 11:43 PM   #17
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Anybody who'd wear blue, green, and turquoise plaid pants like that should be thrown into a looney bin.

http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 12:28 AM   #18
Harvey
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Maybe Harvey has the budget for this episode and how it compares to other third season outings?
The numbers I have place the estimated actual budget of the episode at $179,778.35. Ten third season shows cost more than that; the rest cost less. In the cost-conscious third season, "Whom Gods Destroy" is in the middle of the road.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 12:33 AM   #19
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post
Maybe Harvey has the budget for this episode and how it compares to other third season outings?
The numbers I have place the estimated actual budget of the episode at $179,778.35. Ten third season shows cost more than that; the rest cost less. In the cost-conscious third season, "Whom Gods Destroy" is in the middle of the road.
Can you see which were the highest line items? Were the guest stars big enough names to warrant higher fees? Batgirl premiums?
Praetor Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 12:45 AM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Thanks for the info, Harvey!
Old June 8 2013, 12:48 AM   #21
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Anybody who'd wear blue, green, and turquoise plaid pants like that should be thrown into a looney bin.

Heh. Hadn't spotted that before.
Old June 8 2013, 01:30 AM   #22
Harvey
Admiral

Big Daddy wrote: View Post
Can you see which were the highest line items? Were the guest stars big enough names to warrant higher fees? Batgirl premiums?
I only wrote down the final (or nearest to final available) budget figures, so I don't have that information. One day, I'd like to be able to order scans of all the call sheets and budgets in the collection, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to fund that aspiration yet. (UCLA charges per page scanned).

Kick starter doesn't seem like it would work to do that. What, after all, would be the incentives you'd offer people to donate?

Old June 8 2013, 01:47 AM   #23
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

And crazy women wear crazy dresses, too.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 02:35 AM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

Kick starter doesn't seem like it would work to do that. What, after all, would be the incentives you'd offer people to donate?
Turn the pages into digital files and offer it to those who invest? Not sure about the legalities involved though...
Old June 8 2013, 02:39 AM   #25
Harvey
Admiral

Yeah, that wouldn't be at all legal.

Old June 8 2013, 02:50 AM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

Yeah, that wouldn't be at all legal.
I simply wasn't sure if they were owned by someone or if they were considered public domain.
Old June 8 2013, 02:59 AM   #27
Harvey
Admiral

Well, according to the finding aid:

Copyright has not been assigned to the Performing Arts Special Collections, UCLA. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Arts Special Collections Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Arts Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Upon reflection, I'm actually not sure of the legalities involved. I'll have to email the library and ask.

Old June 8 2013, 03:38 AM   #28
scotpens
Vice Admiral

AtoZ wrote: View Post
. . . Case to point - Dr. Whats-his-name suspended against the wall in the detention area at the beginning of the story. For the first timer watching Trek, it smacks of something extra, a detail that hints at something beyond our ability today, but no issue is made of it in the episode itself.
Two words: Super Velcro!

Another money-saving measure -- they didn't spend a whole lot on fabric for Yvonne Craig's costume.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
The Orion makeup caused lots of problems because Yvonne Craig, as Marta, had to keep touching Shatner's face and uniform but not leave behind green streaks. They tried about three types of green makeup during the filming, but each one photographed very differently, making continuity and editing extremely tricky.
Yvonne tells the story that the makeup artists ended up using spray-on liquid bandage to keep the green makeup from rubbing off on everything she touched. When she sweated under the hot studio lights, the stuff melted and formed cobwebby strings. In the scene where she's dragged out into the planet's poisonous atmosphere and she's pleading for her life with arms outstretched, it looked like green moss was growing from her armpits! Fortunately it didn't show up on film.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Also love that Garth wears one gold boot and one silver boot. And watch his ring explode and fly off his finger during a tantrum!
He also wears his long coat with one arm in the sleeve and the other side draped over his shoulder, further reinforcing the impression of an unbalanced mind. Or maybe he's trying to start a new fashion.
Old June 8 2013, 08:03 AM   #29
ZapBrannigan
Captain

I like the fact that at one point Garth refers to himself as "master of the universe," years before that phrase entered the popular culture. Thus Star Trek might have coined it.

The Mattel/Filmation MOTU franchise goes back to about 1983.

The phrase shows up prominently in Tom Wolfe's 1987 novel Bonfire of the Vanities, in which Wall Street bond traders consider themselves masters of the universe.

But it looks like Star Trek might have gotten there first.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 08:25 AM   #30
Captain Rob
Commodore

If I was the guy that had to do Yvonne's body makeup. I'd forego my salary for that job. I'd probably pay them!