Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 25 2013, 02:49 AM   #631
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

I'll have my thoughts shortly...but I can't help myself...he's known as Brainy now

Edit: This was just a beautiful issue. You really have to read the stories proper that Q is drawing from to fully appreciate what he is doing in this arc...but this is by far my favourite arc of the series. He is interweaving Superman and the Legion of Superheroes, New Krypton, and Smallville Season Nine pretty much flawlessly while advancing his plot for this season and bringing it all together. Truly masterful.

I absolutely loved the conversation between Michael and Brainy. Michael feels lost again...and Brainy is attempting to motivate him as best he knows how. Also the Skeets stuff was absolutely hilarious and spot on!

We're also getting the Rokk/Garth/Imra love triangle from Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes (Paul Levitz opening arc pre New 52). Just beautiful stuff.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; May 25 2013 at 03:50 AM.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2013, 03:57 AM   #632
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Alright we've done our job. Now where's Pro? He hasn't dropped by yet to tell us he's going to be caught up with us in another six months. Sorry, Pro!
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 07:06 PM   #633
Procutus
Admiral

^

Still here... Sort of.

Yeah, I'll catch up sometime here in the near future, I hope. Still on OT at work, and trying to format the new ebook in my spare time.

Reading? What's that?

Old May 31 2013, 02:48 PM   #634
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Smallville: Season 11 #49 is out today and man what an issue it is! We start off with Booster Gold doing his hero thang and...

Not much happens there. It's all character. Basically Booster proving Brainy right. He's a hero even without his gadgets and it's good to see. It doesn't all go right for him but what do you expect? It's a crapsack future we're workin' with!

The next section is about Superman and Kara. There's a little character, a little action and a LOT of plot advancement. They DO descend into Faora's tomb and they DO find that Earthgov has been there first and they DO find that they've taken a little Kryptonian DNA with them!

But what for? Well that's where we hit the cliffhanger. I won't give it away but I will hint...

"Somewhere on Earth..."

Last edited by Admiral James Kirk; May 31 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old June 2 2013, 08:54 AM   #635
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Almost completely forgot to comment on Friday's issue. As with Admiral James Kirk I won't reveal the ending in order to not deprive the feeling that we had with it because it was that awesome...but this was another absolutely fantastic issue. Also won't repeat what AJK stated because he does an excellent job of covering the basics of the issue. This was just great and my favourite arc of the season so far...but that ending. Rao. Also I think Bryan Q is a Star Trek fan because there is a nice reference there

Old June 2 2013, 09:14 AM   #636
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

A completely apt reference at that!
Old June 2 2013, 05:55 PM   #637
Procutus
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Also I think Bryan Q is a Star Trek fan because there is a nice reference there

Hmmm, now I'm really intrigued. I'm assuming this should be fairly obvious to spot.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old June 2 2013, 07:20 PM   #638
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

Also I think Bryan Q is a Star Trek fan because there is a nice reference there
I saw that when I read the issue, and was wondering the same (whether he's a Trek fan). Someone should ask him on Twitter.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 10:23 PM   #639
Procutus
Admiral

^

Well after all, he is Q...

Old June 7 2013, 10:38 PM   #640
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Smallville Season 11 #50 concluded the Valkyrie arc and we get a sense of resolution for Lana I think that was ultimately lacking from the series. Not only did Millar undo "Kryponite Woman" *shudders* but he also coyly has Lois and Lana acknowledge Lois/Clark and Lana decides to stay in Africa to continue her work with the children. Even without her suit, she feels stronger than ever. I'm satisfied with how this arc unfolded.

Old June 9 2013, 02:41 AM   #641
Procutus
Admiral

You really have to read the stories proper that Q is drawing from to fully appreciate what he is doing in this arc...but this is by far my favourite arc of the series. He is interweaving Superman and the Legion of Superheroes, New Krypton, and Smallville Season Nine pretty much flawlessly while advancing his plot for this season and bringing it all together. Truly masterful.

I think both you and AJK have far more empirical knowledge of the source material than I do. From my perspective, it's just a very entertaining SV story, though I realize that it's a bit more involved than that.

Just finished reading #47 last night and I too, had kinda forgotten where things had left off. I probably should've read 46 again first, but I think I managed to connect the dots. Nice to see Rokk and Imra again. I still haven't quite figured out yet how this all fits into the coming crisis (which I assumed took place over a millenium ago in this particular future).

Three more issues to catch up on...
Old June 12 2013, 02:05 AM   #642
Procutus
Admiral

Well, I finally caught up with you guys, mostly. I don't have much to add that hasn't been covered in the posts above, except to say that I'm greatly enjoying all this. Although I picked up on the fact they were searching for Faora's tomb from AJK's post, it caught me by surprise to find out that she's the one that the Argonians worship. For some strange reason, I thought it was going to turn out to be Clark/Supes.

I really liked the Clark/Kara stuff in #49; these two are finally getting along like real cousins. I hope that Q keeps Kara in the storyline, though I sense that she'll end up remaining in the future.

Lana decides to stay in Africa to continue her work with the children.

YAY!!! She can stay there, for all I care! I know, I'm being harsh, but those of you who have known me and read my posts during all the years of live commentary, know that Lana was just about my least favorite character in SV. I actually haven't read #50 yet, because I just wasn't getting into the storyline. I'll get around to it eventually, but for now, I'm satisfied to know that Lana is out of the picture, for now at least.

OK, I guess I feel like an idiot, because after the way you guys talked up the final page of 49, I was all psyched up, only to find out... I have no frakking clue who that is. Again, I'm just not up on the source material as much as the rest of you.

Final note: Loved the Section 31 reference! Very cool.

Looking forward to my next fix in three weeks.

Old June 12 2013, 07:53 AM   #643
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Proc...that was Doomsday...but wearing his classic comic getup that he was drawn in during the Death of Superman arc.

Niedrich extracted the unborn child's DNA from Faora in the tomb and thus...resurrected Doomsday! Again Q being his brilliant self and giving us what we wanted from the start

Old June 12 2013, 11:32 AM   #644
Mike Farley
Commodore

Hmmmm....Booster Gold did not do well when the JLA confronted Doomsday.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:35 PM   #645
Procutus
Admiral

Proc...that was Doomsday...but wearing his classic comic getup that he was drawn in during the Death of Superman arc.

Niedrich extracted the unborn child's DNA from Faora in the tomb and thus...resurrected Doomsday! Again Q being his brilliant self and giving us what we wanted from the start

Thanks for that! Guess he just didn't look much like Doomsday to me in that get-up.

Very cool indeed.