Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 7 2013, 01:38 PM   #76
teacock
Admiral

Re: I've started hating the word "rehash"...

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
The books have a full on invasion. I kind of want to see this now too.

I'd love it though if the focal point of the invasion was another planet. Too much time spent on Earth already.
Maybe they invade Klingon space and the Federation is forced to help out, averting the "inevitable war" between them.
And who will say the line.. "They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate countless worlds, and we fall back. Not again. Not this time. The line must be drawn here!"

Cuz someone's gonna say it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 03:21 PM   #77
Franklin
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The books have a full on invasion. I kind of want to see this now too.

I'd love it though if the focal point of the invasion was another planet. Too much time spent on Earth already.
Maybe they invade Klingon space and the Federation is forced to help out, averting the "inevitable war" between them.
And who will say the line.. "They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate countless worlds, and we fall back. Not again. Not this time. The line must be drawn here!"

All this talk of war.

So, do we really want the next movie to show Admiral Marcus was right, and Starfleet should've been focusing on militarizing to prepare for all out war?

If so, maybe in the movie someone will acknowledge that a preemptive war with the Klingons would've been a good idea, after all.

No. Please, no. No war. Not with the Klingons. Not with the Borg. Not with tribbles that mutated into large fury creatures with sharp, pointy teeth.

All I am saying, is give peace a chance.
Old June 7 2013, 03:42 PM   #78
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I don't see the problem with mixing TNG and TOS elements, especially now that we're rewriting history so there aren't any continuity issues. You've got forty years worth of toys to play with; why limit yourself to just TOS aliens?
Old June 7 2013, 04:07 PM   #79
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Franklin wrote: View Post
So, do we really want the next movie to show Admiral Marcus was right, and Starfleet should've been focusing on militarizing to prepare for all out war?
Perhaps. That would be rather interesting.
Old June 7 2013, 04:45 PM   #80
Ryan8bit
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
The evidence is the countless series/sub-genres that had been blemished with mediocre or moderate success until that one break-out smash comes a long.
And I think that JJ Abrams' Trek are those breakouts. The mediocrity was the preceding films, and these are the ones that stand out. These are the ones that changed the formula to draw more people in, and we saw what can be achieved with them. When the 3rd one comes along, it's not likely to be a radical departure from that unless it's a new creative team.

This really isn't true at all and just makes you sound a little disgruntled.
Not at all. And it is true. Star Trek couldn't even find its way back until Star Wars paved the way by showing that space opera could be popular. But for as much as Star Trek tried to capitalize on it, they just couldn't be as successful or as ingrained in pop culture. There was still a place for it to be sure, and I love Star Trek and have always been more fond of it than Star Wars (which I also love), but there's a time to be honest in that Star Wars has had the upper hand ever since it came out.

And regardless of the quality of the first two movies, picking the most mediocre outing of Episode II, Star Trek still can't aspire to reach that level, and it probably never will. And that doesn't bother me, it's just the truth.

As a rule (there are exceptions of course), sequels always track better than their predecessors.
That's not a rule at all. For just as many movies you presented I could easily come up with a list of movies that tracked worse, and they're not just exceptions.

There are no guarantees except for maybe in the case of the biggest of blockbuster hits, which are coincidentally pretty much all that was on your list. Star Trek is not one of those, so it's going to have to work harder to achieve more, as is shown by STID.

It doesn't have to be. If a third film can match ST09's domestic take, STiD's international take, and increase both by about 15%, then it's suddenly treading in mega-blockbuster territory.
I guess you and I have different ideas of what constitutes a mega blockbuster. I think it's a lot more than just another 15% of the best of both worlds.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 11:34 PM   #81
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Starfleet drudges up pieces of the Jellyfish out of SF bay. One of them contains a glass container with, "In case of Borg, break glass" written on it. Inside is a vile of blood, and written instructions for cloning your very own JLP!
Old June 8 2013, 03:58 AM   #82
The Wormhole
Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
Is the new Trek really that much like Star Wars ? I don't see it.
I find everyone comparing the Abrams series to Star Wars is an overly simplistic exaggeration. And it implies that only Star Wars has any action or adventure and that Star Trek is anything but. Although, I suppose it certainly doesn't help when Abrams actually says he's trying to make Star Trek more like Star Wars. Abrams Trek certainly is different than previous Treks, but it's hardly Star Wars.

Granted, given how bad Abrams and his lackeys are at science, it wouldn't surprise me if Trek XIII did have the characters talking about that time they made the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs.
Old June 8 2013, 04:02 AM   #83
teacock
Admiral

I'm convinced that at least 75% of the accusations that Star Trek is like Star Wars is because they both have the word "star" in them. If Star Wars was called Jedi Tales you'd get that comparison a lot less (especially before the big JJ doing SW announcement).

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote