Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?
I LOVE them together! 29 46.77%
I generally think they’re okay together. 12 19.35%
Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together. 13 20.97%
I HATE them together. 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 7 2013, 12:09 PM   #301
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

It is pretty scary! I know it never appealed to me.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 12:23 PM   #302
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Spock's Pon Farr:
Old June 7 2013, 12:29 PM   #303
teacake
Fleet Admiral

That is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 7 2013, 02:56 PM   #304
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

seven14 wrote: View Post
You're very succinct @Admiral Buzzhill but would you feel as if you are beating a dead horse if I asked you to expand and share more of your opinion. Did you also see the movie on IMAX? Maybe you saw STID in 2D as I seem to be the only one who had trouble seeing what I wanted to see (physical touches) in that format.
look here:

glad I haven't imagined it
Old June 7 2013, 02:59 PM   #305
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Spock's Pon Farr:
I want the Vulcan grip of pleasure!

Spock you cad!
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 03:02 PM   #306
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Malaika wrote: View Post
You're very succinct @Admiral Buzzhill but would you feel as if you are beating a dead horse if I asked you to expand and share more of your opinion. Did you also see the movie on IMAX? Maybe you saw STID in 2D as I seem to be the only one who had trouble seeing what I wanted to see (physical touches) in that format.
look here:

SHE IS TOUCHING THE WRONG PERSON!!!!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 7 2013, 05:29 PM   #307
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade

look here:

Yep---I wonder if others who watched in 2D saw this or missed it same as me.... I did not see anything except Uhura comfortingly squeeze Kirk's shoulder---which I thought was so lovely!!

If I had come away from the movie the 1st time seeing this hand-holding---Uhura touching Spock's tummy---and other instances discussed---I would have been cool about things---until this thread I wasn't even going to see the movie a 2nd time. This is the intimacy I thought should be there and mistakenly thought wasnt. I think I have now watched this clip like 20 times ---as if something else is going to happen...LOL
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 06:08 PM   #308
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Spock's Pon Farr:
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 06:28 PM   #309
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I like the Spock / Uhura relationship in the movie. If you look at the early season 1 episodes there were some good Spock / Uhura scenes. They were friends in the series, they liked music, etc.

-Chris
Old June 11 2013, 12:41 AM   #310
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade

teacake wrote: View Post
look here:

SHE IS TOUCHING THE WRONG PERSON!!!!
No no @teacake...she's touching Spock in the background ---the right person for sure lol and these gifs are all the more reason why I am now going to get this DVD considering where I was after exiting the theatre the 1st time around.

This scene was very good between Uhura and Kirk--no words but her hand squeezing her friend's shoulder...so great how much they all care for Bones. This was a nice moment of tension for the pals. I could watch that U/S background touching on and on for sure....only wish I could have seen it on the big screen.
Old June 11 2013, 01:56 AM   #311
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade

teacake wrote: View Post
Maybe you saw STID in 2D as I seem to be the only one who had trouble seeing what I wanted to see (physical touches) in that format.
Don't worry. Pon farr is coming.
I really hope they include Pon Farr in the next movie and I expect to see lots of hand caressing, kisses, hugs, and fore-head touches....I will close my eyes at the angst, anger, and temper tantrums

I hope T'Pring was off planet and survived the destruction of Vulcan. I'd like her to be gorgeous and for Kirk/Bones/Sulu and Chekov to give a look like, "How the heck does Spock pull these beautiful women ???" before realizing Uhura is there and they all rally around her to reinforce that they still think she's prettier

If there is a champion to be had...I want it to be Uhura and not Kirk in this time-line---not a mud wrestling contest..lol..but some challenge to their relationship. I suppose T'Pring won't choose Uhura to fight in her lover's place but it would be nice to see Uhura stop the proceedings and call T'Pring out to fight her instead---something not so juvenile but in a writer's hands it could be worked.
Old June 11 2013, 08:23 AM   #312
teacake
Fleet Admiral

T'Pring is not going to want his half breed DNA. They don't need their breeding program diluted with humans. She didn't want him in Amok Time when this wasn't even an issue on a global scale as it is now. I'd be surprised if the Vulcan Powers That Be would even allow this to proceed.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old June 12 2013, 02:20 AM   #313
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Spock's Pon Farr:
AWESOME.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 10:55 PM   #314
Clancy_s
Lieutenant Commander

Once I knew the interactions were there it helped me appreciate them the 2nd time around---I didn't cross my eyes when I saw Spock run to Uhura and stand there like a stiff because I knew now they really are holding hands under the camera range or better seen, as you say, from a different angle.
You might be interested in this YT interview - it's Zach and Chris but at the end the interviewer asks Zach about staying in character for Spock when doing romantic scenes.

Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 05:23 AM   #315
Hugh Mann
Lieutenant

It felt rather forced. It mostly came out of nowhere and had no reason to be in the movie, and it had no effect on the story or characters. It's as though J.J. Abrams and his team of writers simply wanted some kind of romantic subplot so they hitched two random characters together, even if it never really went anywhere and wasn't appropriate in the first place (every single moment that Uhura and Spock shared as a couple, and there were only a few, could've been removed and the story and their characters would've carried on with no loss of coherence). They just needed more sex in the movie, since Kirk in bed with a green alien wasn't enough I guess. It also creates the strong impression that Uhura was able to advance only because of her sexual affair with a superior, reducing her to the level of the corporate whore, advancing based on her sexual prowess rather than merit.

But then I suppose many viewers just want to see a hot woman with boobs making out on screen with a man, so it works for them.
Hugh Mann is offline   Reply With Quote