Predict who will be cast as the 12th Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Eccleston was very well known, quite a coup really. I’d never seen Tenannt in anything but I think he was on a few people’s radar, depended if you’d watched Casanova or not really. Smith had done a few things, and he had some cop show that came out just after he was cast as well.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I was under the impression Eccleston got the job pretty much just because RTD had worked with him before on Second Coming, liked him, and wanted to work with him again.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Other way round. Eccleston approached RTD about Doctor Who because he'd enjoyed working on The Second Coming. RTD had thought that Eccleston was out of the production's league. Ironic, as RTD had already offered the role to Hugh Grant who had turned it down.

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm never heard of The Second Coming. Looks very interesting, I will watch that.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Eccleston was great and I wouldn’t not wanted to have had him play the Doctor, but the idea of Hugh Grant always will intrigue me.

6. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never been a huge fan of Hugh Grant but I'm as intrigued by the possibility. I know it's unlikely to ever happen but still intriguing never the less.

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Hugh Grant wouldn't have pulled it off anywhere near as good as Eccleston. Still could have been an okay doctor, but Eccleston was just amazing. If Eccleston stayed a while longer, I wouldn't be surprised if he was my favourite doctor. Leather jackets are cool. ;)

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

There aren't many actors that I detest watching, but Hugh Grant is one of them and I am very grateful he never played the Doctor.

There are other actors, such as Johnny Depp or Tom Cruise who I don't think much of personally, but, as actors, I have enjoyed many of their characters. Hugh Grant goes well beyond this though, for some reason he just rubs me totally the wrong way

9. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

If we're pulling big names out of left field (Like Pierce Brosnan) can I suggest Colin Firth?

Yes, I know he's much too big a name and all that. But I'd love to see what he'd make of the role.

10. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Why do people keep wanting Idris Elba? The dude is brutish. He is Luthor and Heimdall. I like him but he could never play the Trickster. I also have never seen what others appear to see in Stephen Fry. He has a pleasant smile and seems kind of clever, but I get no real charm from him. Hugh Laurie is not on my list, as hewore out his welcome overacting on House.

This might be petty but I couldn't watch Paterson Joseph for the simple fact that he has a name that reads like a phone book listing.

I would like Linus Whatshisname from Law and Order.

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, is there a difference between the dominant ethnicity and two minority ethnicities with their own distinct languages and active separatist groups? :rolleyes:

It is not justifiable if the Twelfth Doctor character is conceived of as being a minority. No white actor would be justified in taking umbrage at not being cast as Captain Benjamin Sisko. No black actor would be justified in taking umbrage at not being cast as Tony Soprano. Etc.

Again, I reject this notion that there's usually a such thing as one particular "best person for the job." More than likely there are going be multiple "best persons for the job" who would all be equally right in different ways. And if you're not making a special effort to find that caliber of quality in minority populations, you're probably only ever going to find that level of quality within the majority population.

12. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Linus Roache has been on my list for a while too.

13. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ben Danials has been linked now I see. At 48 would certainly be different. I would not be surprised that when he is anounced it will be a surprise like last time. Who ever it is will already have been signed up by now.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The good news of reading everyone's suggestions is I now believe ANYONE could be cast as the Doctor. :)

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Their own separate languages? Interesting. That’ll be Welsh (which approx. 20% of Welsh people actually speak) and Gaelic, which just over 1% of Scots speak (going by 2001 census info, it’s probably gone up but not by much). By your definition you’d reject someone from Cornwall yet they have their own distinct language and active separatist groups…but they’re also English. I’m curious as well about your concerns for the nationality of the actor vs. the portrayal. So the fact that Tennant is actually Scottish is irrelevant because he’s putting on a cockney accent. Does this mean it’d be acceptable if we have an English actor who puts on a Scot’s accent? I’m guessing no, but it’s amusing to see the knots you tie yourself into.

I’m not disputing that if the 12th Doctor is conceived as being a minority from the outset this is a problem, so long as this is made clear during the casting process that they’re looking for a black or south Asian actor I have no issue. It’s when you get into the muddy waters of no white Englishman but if you’re Welsh and Scottish that’s ok that I see a problem, because frankly at times that kind of ethnicity is a very subjective thing. You just have to look at how many footballers who are technically one nationality but play for another because their grandfather was Scottish/Irish/English…. Just look at Owen Hargreaves born in Canada, English father, Welsh mother.

It’s interesting as well that you bring up Sisko given that my understanding was always that Sisko’s ethnicity was not set in stone, and that Avery Brooks auditioned against people of all colours, but then part of the reason DS9 is my joint favourite Trek series is because ethnicity doesn’t seem to have been an issue during casting, and because of that we got perhaps the most diverse and natural seeming crew of all and the only white man in the main cast (not in makeup) is the curmudgeonly Irish guy! DS9 is the very antithesis of a cast hired by committee/to tick boxes, so very different to how it’d be just a few years later. “Black guy who won’t do much, check. Asian girl, check, chick with big tits, check, handsome white guy, check, check, check…beagle, er check…”

I hope the next Doctor is Black or South Asian, I'd just prefer it if he beat a bunch of white guys to get there. Of course whatever he (or she) is I’ll keep watching.

16. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So we seem to be on personal choices.

So, here's my choice. He was my favourite back I 2008/9 to replace Tennant. He was also my choice for Bond in 2004/5 when they were replacing Brosnan.

He has a quirky look, could carry off the Doctor well, fantastic actor, British. 45, but looks younger.

Everyone will probably know him as Count Adhemar from A Knights Tale, or Adam from Abe Lincoln: vamp hunter, or even Jacob Hood from the aptly named show, Eleventh Hour.

Rufus Sewell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried to find the most Docor-esque shots.

17. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Obviously, it should be Gordon Ramsey. He already has 6 current shows, why not make it 7?

Or Stephen Hawking.

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i predict the 12th doctor will be played on alternating episodes by Helen Mirren and The Undertaker

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That's ridiculous, HHH would be a far better choice!

Actually given he's contractually obliged to be in every British TV show ever made, I'm surprised Tom Ellis' name hasn't been mentioned ;)

20. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tom Ellis could work actually. Although I remember he was is last of the timelords. Andrew Lee Potts is another actor who could work. Although he's al ready too well known as Conner is primeval.