RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,169
Posts: 5,435,179
Members: 24,939
Currently online: 486
Newest member: katlynwomack

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 6 2013, 09:12 PM   #541
Takeru
Fleet Captain
 
Takeru's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Yes, the Whedon fanbase isn't huge, but the Marvel Cinematic Universe fanbase is. And I doubt very many of the MCU fans are going to pass up watching a TV series created by the director of The Avengers and starring Agent Coulson because they'd rather watch NCIS. So even if you leave out the Whedon fanbase, the show still has a solid built-in audience.
Maybe, but success at the movies doesn't have to translate into a successful tv show, it certainly has a better chance than other shows but it's not guaranteed.
In the past there have been quite a few hyped shows that crashed and burned in the first season, remember Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip? Aaron Sorkin, great cast, lots of publicity, what could go wrong? We all know how it ended.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 10:25 PM   #542
wamdue
Admiral
 
wamdue's Avatar
 
Location: wamdue
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Takeru wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^Yes, the Whedon fanbase isn't huge, but the Marvel Cinematic Universe fanbase is. And I doubt very many of the MCU fans are going to pass up watching a TV series created by the director of The Avengers and starring Agent Coulson because they'd rather watch NCIS. So even if you leave out the Whedon fanbase, the show still has a solid built-in audience.
Maybe, but success at the movies doesn't have to translate into a successful tv show, it certainly has a better chance than other shows but it's not guaranteed.
In the past there have been quite a few hyped shows that crashed and burned in the first season, remember Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip? Aaron Sorkin, great cast, lots of publicity, what could go wrong? We all know how it ended.
despite getting a second series T:SCC didnt do too well either.
__________________
Im Proud of the BBC
wamdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 10:37 PM   #543
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

I'm just saying that it's got a built-in audience who will be bound to watch the show when it premieres. It goes without saying that if the show is a disappointment, like Studio 60, it will lose that audience, but they will be there to start with, and if it's a good show, there's a good chance they'll stick around.

I think TSCC was hurt by the writers' strike, which forced it to cut the number of episodes and spend a long time off the air, during which viewers lost track of it.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 05:21 AM   #544
judgeroy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: In the mountains
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Guys, I'm not trying to diss the Shield show, I am excited for it myself and would love to see it succeed. I guess I'm just trying to temper hopes here a little, not destroy them. I am one of those in the target audience, but I am also a big fan of NCIS. TV Guide recently put out an article that said even the coveted 18+ group was a big part of their viewship. IMHO, given the current big shakeup cliffhanger at the end of this last season, fans, even casual ones, will be tuning in to see the end of it. However, I don't know if Nielsen counts DVR or online watching though. I know I plan on catching Shield the next day online.
judgeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 05:34 AM   #545
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Saw an ad during the NBA Finals, looks fun, I like that it doesn't look dark. I don't know how much Whedon is involved but I've liked every series he's been connected to so far so I'm hoping he keeps batting a thousand.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 06:56 AM   #546
FreezeC77
Commodore
 
FreezeC77's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

judgeroy wrote: View Post
Guys, I'm not trying to diss the Shield show, I am excited for it myself and would love to see it succeed. I guess I'm just trying to temper hopes here a little, not destroy them. I am one of those in the target audience, but I am also a big fan of NCIS. TV Guide recently put out an article that said even the coveted 18+ group was a big part of their viewship. IMHO, given the current big shakeup cliffhanger at the end of this last season, fans, even casual ones, will be tuning in to see the end of it. However, I don't know if Nielsen counts DVR or online watching though. I know I plan on catching Shield the next day online.
I have a hard time keeping interest in watching new episodes of NCIS on Tuesday Nights just because I know eventually I'll see it 20 times on USA Network in a year or so.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 01:16 PM   #547
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Well, the outlook seems clear: if the show is good but fails, it'll be judgeroy's fault.

NCIS is now ten years old, and has an active spinoff. Just how much NCIS does the world need? I certainly can't imagine watching or even wanting ten years of SHIELD...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 01:57 PM   #548
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

I don't really understand why scheduling any show opposite another is such a big deal in this era. I frequently watch one show while recording another, which is showing on a different channel at the same time. Or I catch the inevitable repeat a few days later.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 02:08 PM   #549
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Saw an ad during the NBA Finals, looks fun, I like that it doesn't look dark. I don't know how much Whedon is involved but I've liked every series he's been connected to so far so I'm hoping he keeps batting a thousand.
Whedon gives me hope. I don't think he's a supergenius, but I always find his work to be fun and witty. The show otherwise would make me nervous because it could easily involve generic guys in suits and not draw you into the Marvel Universe the way it should.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 02:09 PM   #550
judgeroy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: In the mountains
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Gaith, thanks, now I have the weight of the world on my shoulders. Perhaps Atlas should shrug? LOL. Seriously, though NCIS is about the characters a much as anything else. And isn't that what keeps Star Trek going too, the characters?
Captain, as I said, I don't know if Neilsen keeps track of DVR and online watching, if so, then it shouldn't be a problem. And, yes scheduling something against something else very popular is still a big deal. I don't imagine Shield just catching on with younger folks either. C'mon guys, I'm very interested and I was collecting comics back in the days when you could still get Sgt Rock and Easy Co comics. Don't forget that this show will be based on a very well established (read old) comic entity. Nick Fury has been around since WWII.
judgeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 02:33 PM   #551
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

judgeroy wrote: View Post
Don't forget that this show will be based on a very well established (read old) comic entity. Nick Fury has been around since WWII.
But Phil Coulson has only been around since 2008. Let's face it, this is really the Coulson spinoff that Clark Gregg's fans have wanted for years. Fury will at most have the occasional cameo or name drop. (Samuel L. Jackson has said he'd be willing to do it like Charlie on Charlie's Angels, just be the voice giving orders over the phone.)

True, the show's creator credits include Lee and Kirby, but they're being credited because of their creation of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agency itself in Strange Tales.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 05:00 PM   #552
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I don't really understand why scheduling any show opposite another is such a big deal in this era. I frequently watch one show while recording another, which is showing on a different channel at the same time. Or I catch the inevitable repeat a few days later.
I think whether or not it is a bid deal or not rest on whether the powers that be are able/willing to track that people *are* recording and watching later.

I do recall some years back when BSG was still on the air that there was a lot of frustration from the show-runners that the network (and possibly by extension the advertising firms) were such dinosaurs in the way they gathered demographic and viewing data and thus getting very skewed results.

More recently I've been getting the impression that some companies are now paying attention to how many people record or stream, but some are still a little slow to wake up and smell the 21st century.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 08:03 PM   #553
wamdue
Admiral
 
wamdue's Avatar
 
Location: wamdue
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Gaith wrote: View Post
Well, the outlook seems clear: if the show is good but fails, it'll be judgeroy's fault.

NCIS is now ten years old, and has an active spinoff. Just how much NCIS does the world need? I certainly can't imagine watching or even wanting ten years of SHIELD...
NCIS does it quietly, yes its ratings are strong, but its never a show that grabs the headlines, like SHIELD has, or will.
__________________
Im Proud of the BBC
wamdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 11:44 PM   #554
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

SLJ reiterates his desire to be involved with AoS, saying it would "legitimaize" the show, but apparently there are issues with such happening.

It would be cool if this were all mis-direction and he had a cameo in the pilot.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 12:06 AM   #555
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Dead Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

judgeroy wrote: View Post
Don't forget that this show will be based on a very well established (read old) comic entity. Nick Fury has been around since WWII.
Continuity-wise, Nick Fury fought in WWII...but publication-wise, he was a creation of the early sixties, so the comic entity isn't quite as old.
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
joss whedon, shield

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.