Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 6 2013, 02:55 AM   #16
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Re: Which Star Trek movie has got the most plot holes? And the least?

Belz... wrote: View Post
Ship's phasers to stun (unless the refit did away with that option), stun the city, extract hostages, lock the rest in the brig.
I forgot they had that. Which episode was that in ?
A Piece of the Action. Kirk tells them to stun the whole street area outside the building he's in currently as a non-lethal show of force to get the mob bosses to submit to the Federation as their new "boss."
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 02:57 AM   #17
marksound
Fleet Captain

I saw Nimbus 3 as more or less a failed experiment, but none of the govts involved would admit it. So, that left the 3 ambassadors there basically forgotten.

Sybok saw it as an opporunity. He gambled that at least one of the 3 govts would send a ship to rescue the "hostages" rather than lose face. He was lucky and got the Enterprise.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 03:47 AM   #18
SeerSGB
Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
-- TFF relies on Sybok getting a ship he can take over. And given that both the Klingons and Romulans would probably just kill him on sight, that leaves the Federation.
I still have a tough time believing the Romulans wouldn't send a ship there. Klingons, sure, they don't care. But the skeleton crew 1701-A is the only ship sent ? Why is that planet even important, then ?

Ship's phasers to stun (unless the refit did away with that option), stun the city, extract hostages, lock the rest in the brig.
I forgot they had that. Which episode was that in ?

-- FC relies on Data being so hot for the Borg Queen And jonesing to be human that he wastes the whole movie waiting for Picard to show up and have his Die Hard moment before trashing the coolant tanks--which just happen to be completely out in the opinion as brittle as glass.
I watched FC again the other day and I'm having more and more trouble getting into it. The whole idea that the Borg would wait at the very end of a pussy battle with the Federation to go back in time at a point where they would have a very small window of opportunity to screw over the Federation and assimilate Earth, rather than go back in time in their own space or outside Federation space and assimilate Earth at a time way before it had any means to defend itself, is ludicrous. At least The Final Frontier is unintentionally fun.
Piece Of The Action, they orbitally stunned the city/city block
Old June 6 2013, 07:43 AM   #19
Dukhat
Commodore

I think Nemesis has the biggest plot hole, and it even has a name: Shinzon.

1. Shinzon was created twenty years before Nemesis to be a clone of Picard. Why? Why would the Romulans of twenty years before have known where Picard was going to end up in the future? He would have just been captain of the Stargazer at the time, just another average officer commanding an average ship.

2. For some reason the Romulans put Shinzon in command of their forces during the Dominion war, even though they seem to hate Shinzon's guts. Again, why?

3. Shinzon and the Remans somehow build this huge battleship in secret under the Romulan overseers' noses. While being slaves. How the fuck did they manage to pull that off?

4. Shinzon somehow finds a Soong-type android, and knows how to reprogram it even though it's been stated in the past that no one knows how to operate Data's systems except Dr. Soong.

5. Shinzon needs Picard's blood to survive. So what does he do? He breaks B4 up into five pieces (why?) and hides them all over a planet with hostile natives who almost kill Picard when he tries to retrieve B4. WTF?

6. As stated above, time's running out for Shinzon who desperately needs Picard's blood. So why does he make Picard wait 17 hours before showing himself? And why does he waste time mind-raping Deanna when he's dying and Picard's right there?

7. Why doesn't Shinzon just tell Picard the truth about needing his blood? I'm sure Crusher could have found a way to give Shinzon what he needed without Picard having to sacrifice his life.

8. Why does Shinzon decide to attack Earth? He doesn't have anything against humans; it's the Romulans he hates.

9. And on that note, why does he let the Romulans who helped him kill the Senate boss him around? Why doesn't he just kill them too?

10. And the worst offender of all: Why doesn't Shinzon have hair?
Old June 6 2013, 07:59 AM   #20
Maurice
Vice Admiral

In TMP:
How does V'ger even know its name? I suppose you could argue that once it zaps Ilia it has access to her memory and can then recognize the letters on its nameplate. Upon realizing these marks mean something, you'd think the first thing it would do is scan the holy fuck out of that nameplate for more information. It is rather a logic problem that the writers didn't consider.

TWOK hangs on a dozen too-convenient coincidences, including: Reliant can't tell one planet from another, Ceti Eels only make victims susceptible to the bad guy's suggestion, Kirk just happens to be on the Enterprise when normally he isn't, Genesis is a Manhattan Project in space with zip security, Enterprise can detect Reliant on the opposite side of Regula but not vice-versa, and when Genesis blows up in a nebula instead of on a planet as designed, it miraculously sucks all the nebula material into a planet which just conveniently happens to be in the Goldilocks zone around a convenient star.

Plot Hole-ier than thou.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 10:07 AM   #21
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
5. Shinzon needs Picard's blood to survive. So what does he do? He breaks B4 up into five pieces (why?) and hides them all over a planet with hostile natives who almost kill Picard when he tries to retrieve B4. WTF?
Well, to be fair he didn't expect Picard to be stupid enough to go there himself.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 10:54 AM   #22
Candlelight
Admiral

Generations annoys me the most. The Nexus can send anyone anywhere back or forward in time. Picard's had a shit week:
- His uncle and nephew are dead
- Armagosa went nova, wiping out a star system
- Geordi was tortured by the Klingons
- Veridian went nova, wiping out a star system
- The Enterprise and her crew died in said supernova (although Picard may not have known this)

So he has the chance to go back and stop Soren; he could've gone back to 10 Forward and arrested him, preventing the loss the Armagosa star system.

He could've gone back a week and prevented the death of his family members.

So what does he do? Go back in time to 3 minutes before the trillithium device launches and tries to fight Soren exactly the same way but brings back a 67 year old guy to help.

Uh huh.
Old June 6 2013, 10:55 AM   #23
Dukhat
Commodore

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Well, to be fair he didn't expect Picard to be stupid enough to go there himself.
But he's Picard's clone! He should have known that Picard would go to the planet because that's what he'd do!
Old June 6 2013, 11:09 AM   #24
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Generations annoys me the most.
If I had reviewed that script before production, I would have made some serious alterations to it. Just for Enterprise, I'd have Riker call Picard and apprise him of the situation, so that when he came back from the Nexus he could warn the Enterprise, they would chase the Klingon ship away and blow the hell out of Soran's installation.

Kirk lives, Enterprise is saved. Yay for everyone.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 6 2013, 11:15 AM   #25
MacLeod
Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Least: TMP. Like others said, it's a very Point A to Point B story.

Most is a tie between: TFF and FC.
-- TFF relies on Sybok getting a ship he can take over. And given that both the Klingons and Romulans would probably just kill him on sight, that leaves the Federation. And then it has to be a Feddie ship he can take over. Had it been a fully crewed and armed ship (say Excelsior for example), he'd been properly fucked over. Plus Kirk acts like an idiot: Why risk a ground engagement? Ship's phasers to stun (unless the refit did away with that option), stun the city, extract hostages, lock the rest in the brig.
There is an even bigger plot hole in TFF, It said that there were other ships are in the area, but command specfically wanted Kirk. Given that the Ent wasn't really fit for duty, all that had to do was given Kirk command of one of the starships for the duration of the mission.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 01:03 AM   #26
Galactic Alignment
Commander

Watched TSFS earlier with my girlfriend and she spotted a plot hole, of sorts - I told her near the end of the film that Spock's homeworld was one of the main Federation planets, and she asked how the Enterprise crew got to land on Vulcan without being arrested by the Feds for terrorism offences, let alone walk about freely to watch a religious ceremony...
Galactic Alignment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 01:37 AM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Alignment X wrote: View Post
Watched TSFS earlier with my girlfriend and she spotted a plot hole, of sorts - I told her near the end of the film that Spock's homeworld was one of the main Federation planets, and she asked how the Enterprise crew got to land on Vulcan without being arrested by the Feds for terrorism offences, let alone walk about freely to watch a religious ceremony...
Spock has family in high places. See: Amok Time.
Old June 7 2013, 01:50 AM   #28
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Alignment X wrote: View Post
The Federation has never been very smart, security-wise. There's never a ship near Earth, and the Breen manage to bombard the very center of the Federation.

Old June 7 2013, 02:43 AM   #29
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Generations annoys me the most.
If I had reviewed that script before production, I would have made some serious alterations to it. Just for Enterprise, I'd have Riker call Picard and apprise him of the situation, so that when he came back from the Nexus he could warn the Enterprise, they would chase the Klingon ship away and blow the hell out of Soran's installation.

Kirk lives, Enterprise is saved. Yay for everyone.
Yup. I don't know how someone can argue against GEN for worst plot-hole offender.

The entire third act is a plot hole.
Old June 7 2013, 02:57 AM   #30
Lance
Fleet Captain

Regarding Reliant not knowing the difference between Ceti Alpha V and Ceti Alpha VI... it just occured to me that Chekov doesn't think to mention Khan until they get down onto the planet. Sure, it's been 15+ years, but surely if one of humanity's most badass super enhanced villains (who actually brought Earth to its knees) was once stranded on a planet in the Ceti Alpha system, you'd think Chekov would at least tell Captain Terrell and the rest about him. Instead it's like he sees the Botany Bay name and he shits his pants. "Oh fuck, I knew there was something I'd forgotten about this star system!"

Basically the entire plot hinges on Chekov being a bit of an idiot.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote