Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 4 2013, 10:37 PM   #16
starburst
Fleet Captain

Re: John Harrison was more interesting than (SPOILER)

I have to admit I was hoping he was John Harrison, all the fan speculation from a year or so before kinda ruined it for me and the scene may have played out better for me if I had no idea before hand he was Khan until they discovered the "300 year old frozen man" in the torpedo.

To be honest make him just John Harrison and the rest of the film can be identical, make him an experiment of genetic engineering by Starfleet in the years after the Kelvin which explains his strength and his blood. The 72 (or whatever other oddly specific number) could be other test subjects that were frozen away that he wanted to save but were told were dead, an act that Kirks 'commanders' had done which he 'can not forgive'.

But in the end he was a pretty bad bad guy who if he hadnt been outsmarted (like Khan was) by Spock then he could have done some seriously bad things with that ship.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:44 PM   #17
ichab
Commodore

I enjoyed the movie but I never bought Cumberbatch as Khan. Sorry, but he never sold me on that one. At least with Kirk or Spock I can see at least SOMETHING in their performances that makes me say "Okay, that is him" . With this new Khan the accent was wrong,the look was wrong, mannerisms were wrong.... They should have created their own character rather than recycling Khan.

They also need to quite bringing back old Spock to explain everything. The torch has been passed. Let him fade into history already.
Old June 6 2013, 12:18 AM   #18
marksound
Fleet Captain

How about this?

In the next movie we find out that Harrison wasn't really Khan but another Augie Doggie who used Khan's name. The real Khan is stored away somewhere like the Ark at the end of Raiders.

Instant Retcon's gonna get you ...
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 01:02 AM   #19
Ain Jalut
Lieutenant

ichab wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the movie but I never bought Cumberbatch as Khan. Sorry, but he never sold me on that one. At least with Kirk or Spock I can see at least SOMETHING in their performances that makes me say "Okay, that is him" . With this new Khan the accent was wrong,the look was wrong, mannerisms were wrong.... They should have created their own character rather than recycling Khan.

They also need to quite bringing back old Spock to explain everything. The torch has been passed. Let him fade into history already.
I agree about Spock, that was completly unnecessary.
Ain Jalut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 05:05 AM   #20
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

but AWESOME. I just about jumped out of my chair right about then; didn't make the "New Vulcan" connection...
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 06:09 AM   #21
gabby_j
Ensign

Yeah the Old Spock thing was weird. I actually laughed. I also agree that it would have worked without Khan, and that him being Khan didn't have any effect on the box office.
gabby_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 06:20 AM   #22
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

I had the same thought leaving the theater. For all the fuss over Khan, the movie would have been better without him.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 10:00 AM   #23
Ain Jalut
Lieutenant

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
but AWESOME. I just about jumped out of my chair right about then; didn't make the "New Vulcan" connection...
He was dropped out of the sky as far as the narrative was concerned.
Ain Jalut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 10:44 PM   #24
StarMan
Vice Admiral

I knew Harrison's reveal was coming. Unfortunately, when it arrived in all it's painstakingly enunciated glory, it fell flat on it's face. There may as well have been a subtle tilt of the head and shift of the eyes towards the camera - hell, throw a sly wink in there and blast through the forth wall altogether.

It was about then it started to sink in I wasn't enjoying this film.
Old June 6 2013, 11:37 PM   #25
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
If this movie had been "nameless assistant villain gets used by evil Admiral to start a war" I'd have been bored.
It would have been the same damn movie, pretty much. Is the name Khan really the only thing that kept your interest?
It's kinda irritating how much some people think they need a name attached to be entertained. It's just a NAME, especially how it plays out in the final film. And especially since this film was ADVERTISED with the villain being JOHN HARRISON. Khan was a surprise reveal, remember?

It really doesn't matter in this film that it is Khan Noonien Singh. Genetically enhanced badass Starfleet agent John Harrison would have done exactly the same in the very same film.

In Space Seed, Khan was just a "villain of the week". How boring.
In TWOK, Khan was essential, since there was that backstory with Kirk that simply could not have existed without Khan being the villain. No random new villain could replace Khan's role in that film.

StarMan wrote: View Post
I knew Harrison's reveal was coming. Unfortunately, when it arrived in all it's painstakingly enunciated glory, it fell flat on it's face. There may as well have been a subtle tilt of the head and shift of the eyes towards the camera - hell, throw a sly wink in there and blast through the forth wall altogether.

It was about then it started to sink in I wasn't enjoying this film.
It's funny how he reveals himself. "My name is... Khan." and everybody looks quite concerned. Like the characters watched Space Seed and TWOK and already knew who Khan Noonien Singh was. But they didn't. Only the audience did.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 03:12 AM   #26
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
Ooooooh, I like that quite a bit.
I had wished for that.
Old June 7 2013, 03:55 AM   #27
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
If this movie had been "nameless assistant villain gets used by evil Admiral to start a war" I'd have been bored.
It would have been the same damn movie, pretty much. Is the name Khan really the only thing that kept your interest?
It's kinda irritating how much some people think they need a name attached to be entertained. It's just a NAME, especially how it plays out in the final film. And especially since this film was ADVERTISED with the villain being JOHN HARRISON. Khan was a surprise reveal, remember?
It's lucky for us that the writers back in the day didn't have today's attitude toward new characters. Otherwise we'd still be rehashing the Talosians over and over again.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 03:24 AM   #28
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
How about this?

In the next movie we find out that Harrison wasn't really Khan but another Augie Doggie who used Khan's name. The real Khan is stored away somewhere like the Ark at the end of Raiders.

Instant Retcon's gonna get you ...
I was going to do a separate post to suggest just that.

Maybe Khan had the name switched so an enemy would kill the wrong person, or Harrison claimed to be Khan, so he could be more respected/valued, and made up some lie about it waking up.

Or perhaps son of Khan Noonian Singh?

Keith Hamilton Cobb
of Andromeda fame would have been an excellent Khan
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 03:34 AM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post

Keith Hamilton Cobb
of Andromeda fame would have been an excellent Khan
Why?

He wasn't a very good actor and hasn't worked in front of the camera since 2007.

I think if they truly wanted to do an "Indian" Khan they should've found a Bollywood actor to play the character.
Old June 8 2013, 11:06 AM   #30
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Been thinking, with all said and done and the supposed renegade Starfleet officer John Harrison revealed to be Khan, I've come to realize, I was more interested in the fiction of the John Harrison persona than I am in Khan...

So what does everyone else think? Would John Harrison be more interesting than Khan?
Good question, as questions are great for sparking discussion and obtaining access to varying views! That said, I was also more interested in John Harrison than Khan. After all, that was the character they built up the most out of the 2. Seeing some of his section 31 story could have been interesting, but alas...

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote