Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 6 2013, 05:36 PM   #6271
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

ANOTHER NEW GREAT LOOKING TRAILER!!!!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=105165
Old June 6 2013, 06:49 PM   #6272
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

That trailer was about the same as the others. A lot of stupid stuff (I guess black/grey is the only color allowed on Krypton), more explosions to prove they can do just as many as Michael Bay (well, ok, no one can do as many as him, but they're definately trying their best), and Zod has a weird clear helmet that makes his head look like the weird clear heads of the Guardians from the live action Green Lantern movie. Zod looks pretty wimpy next to Russel Crowe, who looks like he could kill Zod with one hand with basically no effort. Still, it gets points for not showing Jonathon Kent talk about drowning kids. When it comes to Cavill, I'm getting used to him being Superman (even with the stupid costume) and I guess Crowe could be decent, although I still have no desire to see Jor El actually fight anyone. The trailer also had a lot of average looking fight/cgi scene clips to go with the explosions. Can a movie have an angsty/brooding main character and enough explosions to make Michael bay happy? It looks like MoS is going to try.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 06:59 PM   #6273
marksound
Fleet Captain

Again, these are trailers. Not the whole movie.

Bored with you. Moving on.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 07:06 PM   #6274
Gojira
Commodore

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
That trailer was about the same as the others. A lot of stupid stuff (I guess black/grey is the only color allowed on Krypton), more explosions to prove they can do just as many as Michael Bay (well, ok, no one can do as many as him, but they're definately trying their best), and Zod has a weird clear helmet that makes his head look like the weird clear heads of the Guardians from the live action Green Lantern movie. Zod looks pretty wimpy next to Russel Crowe, who looks like he could kill Zod with one hand with basically no effort. Still, it gets points for not showing Jonathon Kent talk about drowning kids. When it comes to Cavill, I'm getting used to him being Superman (even with the stupid costume) and I guess Crowe could be decent, although I still have no desire to see Jor El actually fight anyone. The trailer also had a lot of average looking fight/cgi scene clips to go with the explosions. Can a movie have an angsty/brooding main character and enough explosions to make Michael bay happy? It looks like MoS is going to try.
I have read recently you're only 22 and that explains a lot. Go watch the movie and watch yourself for close mindedness and then come back and make your pronouncements.

You keep stating the cognitive distortion of magnifying things out of proportion and jumping to conclusions. You think because we had a brooding Batman and because Nolan is attached to the film, and Clark is shown with a beard while he is trying to find himself, is synonymous with a brooding Clark. It is not!! All you are demonstrating is your ability to have distorted thoughts.

This is not a dark and angst filled movie. I view the trailers and I am finding a more traditional Superman than you see. I see a movie that shows Superman being a vision and symbol of hope.
Old June 6 2013, 07:14 PM   #6275
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Anyone who is trying to "find themself" is brooding and angsty. The whole movie supports that attitude. Everything is dark (every shot of Krypton makes the Batcave look like disneyland from a mood perspective, and every Kryptonian appears to only wear black), the characters are acting like jerks (wanting Clark to let kids drown just being one example) and everything just seems to be around to be somber. I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air, the trailers are show casing the dark/angsty stuff constantly.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 07:21 PM   #6276
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
I have read recently you're only 22 and that explains a lot.
What is it with 22 year olds?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 07:46 PM   #6277
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Anyone who is trying to "find themself" is brooding and angsty. The whole movie supports that attitude.
No, and no.

At least young folks who are "trying to find themselves" are looking.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 07:56 PM   #6278
Gojira
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I have read recently you're only 22 and that explains a lot.
What is it with 22 year olds?
22 year olds can still developmentally be in adolescent stages where their thinking is very rigid and where they have a tendancy to thinking they know it all. Further, they can lack the insight to question their own thinking, or examine it with a level of objectiviety.
Old June 6 2013, 07:59 PM   #6279
Gojira
Commodore

Anyone who is trying to "find themself" is brooding and angsty. The whole movie supports that attitude. Everything is dark (every shot of Krypton makes the Batcave look like disneyland from a mood perspective, and every Kryptonian appears to only wear black), the characters are acting like jerks (wanting Clark to let kids drown just being one example) and everything just seems to be around to be somber. I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air, the trailers are show casing the dark/angsty stuff constantly.
Maybe you're just projecting your issues onto the film? I have had many clients who are searching to find themselves and for many of them it is often an exciting time and even an adventure as they uncover who they really are and who they want to be.
Old June 6 2013, 08:21 PM   #6280
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

At this point if someone is still posting the same critique of a film that hasn't been released yet.....I just don't know what to say. Why still post here? We all know what you're going to say.
Old June 6 2013, 08:30 PM   #6281
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Too bad they couldn't get Tom Welling, too!

That guy's just living off his 10 year salary(Plus residuals) from "Smallville"

He probably doesn't do those kinds of conventions

Sadly the track record for lead actors post "Superman" isn't good

Reeve- After "The quest for peace" his biggest movie was Children of the Corn. Then he had his horse riding accident.

Dean Cain- Forever stuck in tv movies

Welling- Did 3 movies during "Smallville" breaks and then nothing but "Smallville" and producing "Hellcats"

I'm hoping Cavill can break that trend. I really am! It's a really big hill to walk up.
I think being known for playing a superhero is no longer the problem for casting directors it was when Chris Reeve donned the cape. Look at how well the likes of Christian Bale (Oscar winner) and Hugh Jackman (Oscar nominee) or Toby Maguire have done in recent years.

Cain and Welling, frankly, aren't particularly good actors and probably wouldn't have become any bigger stars than they now are even if they hadnt played Clark Kent or his alter-ego. Their careers aren't any poorer than many tv actors after they leave a well-known show. Routh probably suffered from only playing Superman once in a movie that wasn't particularly popular.
Old June 6 2013, 09:35 PM   #6282
sojourner
Admiral

blah, blah, blah...

Sigh.
Old June 6 2013, 09:50 PM   #6283
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The Noika trailer looks fantastic.

The thing about Kirk555555 is that he stated when he first started to comment that he wasn't looking to derail the thread with his opinions, well if he truly meant that, then he would have posted maybe a couple of times, instead of bashing us over the head with his views which have remained consistent throughout his posts. I understand about replying to others in the thread, but seriously...most others would have posted their dislike of the film or whatever and moved along.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 10:36 PM   #6284
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

more explosions to prove they can do just as many as Michael Bay (well, ok, no one can do as many as him, but they're definately trying their best),
Have you ever actually read or watched anything with Superman or super heroes? I know you claimed you have, but clearly you haven't. One thing they're not short on is explosions and MASSIVE property damage. No one's interested in seeing people in spandex stand around and talk about stuff.

Anyone who is trying to "find themself" is brooding and angsty.
Wrong. And it's long past time for you to stop reading anything that isn't an english text book or dictionary so that when you speak and use words, you're using them with their proper definitions.

The whole movie supports that attitude.
The "whole movie" is about two hours long and it hasn't been released yet.

Maybe you're just projecting your issues onto the film? I have had many clients who are searching to find themselves and for many of them it is often an exciting time and even an adventure as they uncover who they really are and who they want to be.
He's clearly projecting his own issues onto the film. He's at a transitional stage where the carefree childhood years have almost all faded away and he's staring down the future of moving out of the house, getting a job, not having mom and dad around to take care of his problems and growing up. He's terrified of the massive changes and the reality of adulthood that's coming. He's looking for solace and stability in the stuff of childhood.

He comforts himself thinking he's got all the answers when the reality is that he doesn't even know the questions.
Old June 6 2013, 10:43 PM   #6285
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
blah, blah, blah...

Sigh.
Yeah, I think I only reply to him out of boredom. That or I like talking to brick walls.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
The Noika trailer looks fantastic.
I wasn't keen on the music in this trailer as I have been on previous trailers....but yeah, it looks fucking fantastic. I like how when they're hitting each other there's that sort of distortion effect to emphasize the power that's going into the punches.

I'm really stoked to see a Krypton that's more inline with the super science world that it was in the comics. Even as a kid, I never liked that crystal stuff from the first movie.

On top of that, we're looking at the movie that could open us up to a cinematic DCU, so here's hoping that they've planted the seeds for the future as well.

Strange to think that we're only a week away now!