RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,629
Currently online: 537
Newest member: Karzak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 6 2013, 06:39 PM   #16
Timo
Admiral

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x17 "Samaritan Snare"

No idea, since LaForge never got to hear the start of it and thus couldn't have synched his actions to the countdown. (Unless that mysterious "forced spectrum communications" served as a means of piping E-D commands to LaForge's VISOR or something.)

The basic plot is obvious: LaForge needs to get maximum access to Pakled systems, and he can do that by winning their trust. The beefing up of the photon torpedoes is a good way to do that. With the access, LaForge can then neutralize the Pakled threat.

Whether this would lead to LaForge being released, or LaForge being executed... How can the heroes tell? Surely the obvious Plan A would be to have transporters standing by so that LaForge could be beamed out the second he misuses the trust he has earned and drops shields. But our heroes prepare for none of that - they wait and see what the Pakleds will do after being tricked.

Oh, BTW, after several rewatches (not as painful as I thought), I now feel the Pakleds did have photon torpedoes. From the start, not thanks to LaForge's ministrations.

LaForge: "You've got to be kidding."
Grebnedlog: "Make us strong."
LaForge: "Come on. There's not enough juice in these to blow up a passing asteroid."
Grebnedlog: "Do it. Make us strong."
LaForge: "I suppose we could increase the antimatter charges."
Reginod: "Yes. We like power."
LaForge: "Yeah."
Grebnedlog: "Do not try to trick us. We can tell."
Obviously, they couldn't. But the Pakled ship did already possess something that wasn't capable of blowing up asteroids but nevertheless physically existed and was based on antimatter charges. LaForge's eventual "You have photons" does not need to be interpreted as him saying "You didn't have photons before", then.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 07:13 PM   #17
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I'v just noticed that the Pakled's name is Goldenberg backwards - is there a story or joke behind that?
Old June 6 2013, 07:14 PM   #18
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I have a hunch there was an earlier draft of the screenplay that made more sense, and somewhere along the line it got broken.

BTW, I just noticed something regarding Jeyl's "It's broken! :(" illustration. The Pakleds, like Data, do not use contractions. The line is "It is broken."
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 08:44 PM   #19
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

MikeS wrote: View Post
I'v just noticed that the Pakled's name is Goldenberg backwards - is there a story or joke behind that?
I think you may be on to something.
Classic episode. "You make it go" will remain forever etched in my vernacular.
Vulcan Logician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2013, 04:27 PM   #20
Jeyl
Commodore

Captrek wrote: View Post
BTW, I just noticed something regarding Jeyl's "It's broken! " illustration. The Pakleds, like Data, do not use contractions. The line is "It is broken."
That means we're left with one startling conclusion. The illustration is broken.

On that note, it's kind of sad how a pathetic, moronic race like the Pakleds have a better track record for not using contractions than Data, so I guess I'm doing the episode a favor. Remember how the episode "Datalore" brought up contractions?

Lore: I use their contractions. For example, I say can't or isn't, and you say cannot or is not.
And when Lore is defeated and Picard checks with Data,

Picard: Data, are you all right?
Data: Yes, sir. I'm fine.
In conclusion, EVERYTHING IS BROKEN. But if you would like me to fix it, I can do that. For now, I'll leave it there as a reminder at how my illustrations for these episode recaps developed and changed over the weeks.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 08:10 AM   #21
Eddie Roth
Commodore

Vulcan Logician wrote: View Post
The trusted source of my 90s Trek education, the German episode guide "Das Star Trek Universum" by Ralph Sander, says that Robert McCullough's birth name is Goldenberg. He spelled that backwards. And Reginod is apparently a variation on the name Donager, again spelled backwards, a friend of McCullough's.
Eddie Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 11:11 PM   #22
Mojochi
Commodore

Anybody else but me realize that the "Crimson Force Field" actually saves their lives in S4 Night Terrors?

Crimson Force Field

Hydrogen venting transfer
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 07:41 PM   #23
SpocksLeftEar
Lieutenant

Eddie Roth wrote: View Post
Vulcan Logician wrote: View Post
The trusted source of my 90s Trek education, the German episode guide "Das Star Trek Universum" by Ralph Sander, says that Robert McCullough's birth name is Goldenberg. He spelled that backwards. And Reginod is apparently a variation on the name Donager, again spelled backwards, a friend of McCullough's.
Hi Eddie,
thanks for mentioning my book! Very nice
R.
SpocksLeftEar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 08:42 PM   #24
publiusr
Commodore

How in the blazes did they ever get to space..slower than Ogrons...
I say when hitting my chest with the back of my hand--
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 03:44 AM   #25
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The one thing I liked about this episode.... dang if those phasers didn't actually hurt someone for a change.
Old October 24 2013, 10:10 AM   #26
OpenMaw
Commander

I do believe that was the bitch slap setting.

Which just became hilarious to watch on repeats.