RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,120
Posts: 5,433,190
Members: 24,933
Currently online: 673
Newest member: karanfree

TrekToday headlines

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old June 3 2013, 01:02 PM   #76
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
One member said this thread should be in the movie section discussing the film. I disagree.

Since it's labelled "Star Trek" and presumably uses characters of TOS, TOS fans are entitled to discuss the films in a TOS-devoted thread.

My best friend came over the other night and asked me why I wouldn't go and see the movie.
He accused me of being biased because of my preference for the original TOS.

I told him that while this is correct and would definitely weigh in watching this "Darkness" flick, I would nevertheless be able to enjoy a good science fiction film regardless and switch off the "TOS mode" in my brain.

Therefore I asked him whether it's a good science fiction film to watch, regardless of the "Star Trek" letters on the package or not.

His reply: "No"

Apparently, that was the wrong answer to attract me to this movie.

Bob
I don't think it's a bad sci-fi film. Certainly no worse than the bulk of TOS sci-fi.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is online now  
Old June 3 2013, 06:43 PM   #77
Gary7
Rear Admiral
 
Gary7's Avatar
 
Location: Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

This whole bit about being put off or insulted by the new Star Trek, that it denigrates the "purity" of the original series, is simply way over the top.

If you're someone who watches TOS, over and over, never sampling the other Star Trek series because it's nothing like the original, then fine... stay in your box and be happy there. Most everyone on TBBS has embraced the 4 series that followed (or a subset of them).

However, if you've seen the other Star Trek series and enjoyed them, but won't dare view the 2009 or 2013 JJ Abrams versions of Star Trek, then you're a hypocrite. Really. This is just another incarnation of Star Trek. Yes, it reuses the original TOS characters but it is clearly a "reboot", a modern day version. It is not invalidating TOS, but simply telling an alternate story. Is it perfect? No. Heck no. But it has plenty of good qualities.

[RANT]And yeah, count me in as someone who is getting REALLY DAMNED SICK of the super saturated eye choking CGI that pervades every action shot in an attempt to assault your senses and make you feel "wowed". My eyes feel like they get diabetes from these kinds of flicks, because of the endless eye candy.

Hopefully someday soon somebody will come up with a sci-fi action flick that is much more sensible with the use of CGI and set a new gold standard. Until then, the money making it too great for current production houses to stop doing what they've been doing. Why do they make money? Because of many reasons, including drone audience members and the lack of useful channels to give feedback to the movie producers. "Well they came to see it and made us rich, so let's keep doing it!" [/RANT]

So with the success of the 2nd movie, there will likely be a third but I suspect that will be it due to Abrams moving on to Star Wars (maybe he'll try action saturation formula once again and this time make a dud).
__________________
Remembering Ensign Mallory.
Gary7 is offline  
Old June 3 2013, 10:49 PM   #78
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

I ignore anything since VOY: Endgame. No Nemesis, no Enterprise, and of course no Abramstrek.
JarodRussell is offline  
Old June 3 2013, 11:14 PM   #79
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
My best friend came over the other night and asked me why I wouldn't go and see the movie.
He accused me of being biased because of my preference for the original TOS.

I told him that while this is correct and would definitely weigh in watching this "Darkness" flick, I would nevertheless be able to enjoy a good science fiction film regardless and switch off the "TOS mode" in my brain.

Therefore I asked him whether it's a good science fiction film to watch, regardless of the "Star Trek" letters on the package or not.

His reply: "No"

Apparently, that was the wrong answer to attract me to this movie.

Bob
I'm curious, do you similarly ignore the TOS episodes that are bad science fiction?
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline  
Old June 3 2013, 11:41 PM   #80
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
For whatever reason, I just can't get into this "re-imagined" or "re-imaged" business, so I simply ignore all of the hype surrounding the new Star Trek movies... in fact, I ignore the new movies period. I can't make myself believe that any actor besides Shatner could ever be Kirk, etc...
Maybe you should give it a shot, instead of thinking you won't like it.

I won't lie, though: it's different.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline  
Old June 4 2013, 12:39 AM   #81
EnsignRicky
Commodore
 
EnsignRicky's Avatar
 
Location: Pre-Apocalyptic Earth
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

I don't ignore it, I look at it like this: If I were a huge Brady Bunch fan, these things would be A Very Brady Sequel. Did Carol Brady marry the Professor from Gilligan's Island? Of course not, Did some crazy Romulan from the future come blasting back to destroy Kirk's dad, Spock's mom and the entire planet of Vulcan? Doubtful. Does Khan have magical Genesis blood? Please!!

But it is all in good fun.
__________________
Use Only As Directed
EnsignRicky is offline  
Old June 4 2013, 01:16 AM   #82
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
My best friend came over the other night and asked me why I wouldn't go and see the movie.
He accused me of being biased because of my preference for the original TOS.

I told him that while this is correct and would definitely weigh in watching this "Darkness" flick, I would nevertheless be able to enjoy a good science fiction film regardless and switch off the "TOS mode" in my brain.

Therefore I asked him whether it's a good science fiction film to watch, regardless of the "Star Trek" letters on the package or not.

His reply: "No"

Apparently, that was the wrong answer to attract me to this movie.

Bob
I'm curious, do you similarly ignore the TOS episodes that are bad science fiction?
What would be left?
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline  
Old June 5 2013, 03:21 PM   #83
Hambone
Fleet Captain
 
Hambone's Avatar
 
Location: Land of cheese, sausage and beer
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

Just treat all the various Star Treks like a huge galactic buffet. Pick out what you like and leave the rest. There's plenty for all and something there for everyone. TOS is my "meat and potatoes", while the new movies are "pizza and beer."

Who doesn't enjoy a little junk food now and then?

And remember, today's meal that doesn't agree with you doesn't necessarily ruin last week's sumptuous feast.
__________________
Get a haircut, hippie.
Hambone is offline  
Old June 5 2013, 03:38 PM   #84
DaleC76
Captain
 
DaleC76's Avatar
 
Location: The State of Alabama
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

I would've answered this question differently two months ago. I didn't like ST09 very much, but Into Darkness won me over. It has its flaws, but it has that Star Trek feel. I would encourage anyone to check it out. You might be surprised.
__________________
I am created Shiva, the Destroyer; death, the shatterer of worlds. The dead night tiger made whole by the Master of Sinanju. Who is this dog meat that dares challenge me?
DaleC76 is offline  
Old June 5 2013, 07:00 PM   #85
The Creeper
Commodore
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder...
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

Hambone wrote: View Post
Just treat all the various Star Treks like a huge galactic buffet. Pick out what you like and leave the rest. There's plenty for all and something there for everyone. TOS is my "meat and potatoes", while the new movies are "pizza and beer."

Who doesn't enjoy a little junk food now and then?

And remember, today's meal that doesn't agree with you doesn't necessarily ruin last week's sumptuous feast.
Nicely stated. Totally agree.
__________________
The Keeper
The Creeper is offline  
Old June 5 2013, 07:24 PM   #86
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral
 
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?'s Avatar
 
Location: bbailey861 - Kingston, ON
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Hambone wrote: View Post
Just treat all the various Star Treks like a huge galactic buffet. Pick out what you like and leave the rest. There's plenty for all and something there for everyone. TOS is my "meat and potatoes", while the new movies are "pizza and beer."

Who doesn't enjoy a little junk food now and then?

And remember, today's meal that doesn't agree with you doesn't necessarily ruin last week's sumptuous feast.
Nicely stated. Totally agree.
Yeah, it was nicely stated. I agree, too.
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is offline  
Old June 5 2013, 08:25 PM   #87
ralfy
Lieutenant
 
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
For whatever reason, I just can't get into this "re-imagined" or "re-imaged" business, so I simply ignore all of the hype surrounding the new Star Trek movies... in fact, I ignore the new movies period. I can't make myself believe that any actor besides Shatner could ever be Kirk, etc...

I felt the same way about the updated Battlestar Galactica when it aired, even though I love Ron Moore.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I just too closed minded?
I agree with you. TOS was fine, and they did well with some of the movies.

TNG was OK, but it looked so bland compared to the original. The same goes for the other television shows, but the last two movies appear to make things worse.
ralfy is offline  
Old June 5 2013, 09:00 PM   #88
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
For whatever reason, I just can't get into this "re-imagined" or "re-imaged" business, so I simply ignore all of the hype surrounding the new Star Trek movies... in fact, I ignore the new movies period. I can't make myself believe that any actor besides Shatner could ever be Kirk, etc...

I felt the same way about the updated Battlestar Galactica when it aired, even though I love Ron Moore.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I just too closed minded?
You know, I don't really mind when someone posts stuff like this. What I do mind is when the OP initially speaks his mind, then never bothers to return to his own post to debate other people's responses to him. It makes me wonder why I should even bother replying to him.

ralfy wrote: View Post
The same goes for the other television shows, but the last two movies appear to make things worse.
You keep saying this, but you never actually back up your statements, other than telling us to go find someone else's quotes. Why do you think the last two movies made things worse?
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline  
Old June 6 2013, 11:36 AM   #89
ralfy
Lieutenant
 
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

Dukhat wrote: View Post

You keep saying this, but you never actually back up your statements, other than telling us to go find someone else's quotes. Why do you think the last two movies made things worse?
Obvious attempts at capturing a teen audience obsessed with bad Hollywood script writing and special effects, and at the same time trying to appease older fans by creating weakly constructed story lines involving allusions to past movies (as seen in the latest).

The latter point is most difficult: why a reboot? Why not start afresh? Or has the franchise run its course?
ralfy is offline  
Old June 6 2013, 12:07 PM   #90
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

^You say that like TOS was aimed exclusively at adults. You must be assuming they were the intended audience for items like this?
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.