RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Posts: 5,430,163
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 507
Newest member: ragster


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 5 2013, 10:57 AM   #496
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

Oh right, screen time.

Yes many complain that everyone else "went hungry" as far as that goes once 7 showed up.

As to money, I have no idea why Ryan was worth more than Lien at the start of their roles.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:15 AM   #497
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

"Hi, Jennifer, you're going to a get a minimum of 4 or five lines per script, with a guarantee of 2 scripts per year that will focus squarely on your shoulders which you will be expected to carry. For this we'll pay you 18 grand an episode or you can file for unemployment. Are we good?"

Vs.

"Hello Jeri. We want you to be responsible for half the dialogue in every script, especially the ones which are focussing on the little people I can't seem to fire, and if you're not busy, we think that 15, no 16 episodes a season should spotlight your character and her search for humanity, and if that uncomfortable sock we have you wearing maintains the illusion of nudity, I'm sure that your parents and children will not be embarrassed, bunches up just work through the pain... We were thinking about giving you 18 grand an episode? Oh. And you have to sleep with Brannon too. If you'd just initial your contract here, here and here. Thank you."
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:28 AM   #498
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

When they signed Lien up did they know she would have so little to do? Did they have it all planned out who would have more episodes focused on them?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 12:43 PM   #499
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

I haven't read the bible, but I once held it my hands and thought, no this isn't worth ten dollars, but the producers must have decided on the division of labour before they started casting, with each producer screaming and baying that their pet character would be the break out star... Kes was the Dark Horse.

Stupid morons thought that we'd all be clambering for Neelix Lunch boxes early on.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 01:08 PM   #500
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

Because ewoks were so dearly loved.

And now I must add that personally, I did love them.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 01:51 PM   #501
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

When did you figure out that the Ewoks were roasting clone meat stormtrooper faces inside those stormtropper helmets, they all had on sticks, dancing around the fire?

Like Lollypops but with human heads.

If you think about it, what ever that armour was made out of, it would have been most effective at diffusing the heat and harmful radiation endemic with blaster fire (Carter said something like this on Stargate while talking about their plans to counter jaffar staff weapons.) which is making it perfect for hobobaking.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 02:02 PM   #502
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
When did you figure out that the Ewoks were roasting clone meat stormtrooper faces inside those stormtropper helmets, they all had on sticks, dancing around the fire?

Like Lollypops but with human heads.
This is the reason why I love them.

And it was always obvious, I mean they had Our Heroes trussed up over the fire. On a spit. Though I still get to point out that they eat people to folk who never realized this which is fun.

"I hate Ewoks.. @#&.."

"But they eat people!"

"Wha.."

They are furry vicious killers. That's why I named my cat after one of them.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 02:48 PM   #503
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

You gotta wonder if the skievier Ewoks ate any of their rebel allies after those tastey ground pounders got drunk and passed out?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 05:04 PM   #504
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I disagree they weren't hamstrung by the premise, loss of crew over the years would have had an impact on everyone. Aside from the Pschological impact, what about the physical. Those duty shifts that the crew who had been lost would have to covered, so people would have to do longer etc...
The premise said that they'd spend the entire series going home, that if anyone died they couldn't be replaced and they'd never get any support from anyone ever (no help, no resupplies, no repairs, etc). That means if anyone dies then they can't be replaced at all, not by extended duty shifts or anything.

There was plenty they could have done, I think rather than being hamstrung by the the premise they failed to embrace the premise and all the problems that would come with it.
It's Gilligan syndrome. They had a plot that could never ever be resolved without ending the show and didn't bother giving them any plots that COULD be resolved without ending the show. And the internal conflict was never going to be that interesting either since the Maquis and Fleeters weren't diehard enemies.

They basically took a one episode plot from TOS and TNG (this happened to both Picard and Kirk) and tried to stretch it out into an entire series.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 07:48 PM   #505
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

Yes if someone dies, they can be replaced by extending duty shifts, if VOY was on a 4 shift rotation, with diminishing crew numbers it might have to go a 3 shift rotation. And the length of each shift might increase from 6 to 8 to 10. Yes there might come a time when extending shifts couldn't be done. Which might mean less important things i.e. repairing every interior corridor so it looks like it had just left Utopia might not being completed.

In the workplace if someone leaves, you can't always replace them but the same amount of work still has to be done. So the rest have to pick that up.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:41 PM   #506
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

Almost 30 people died on camera or left.

They did fine.

Neelix killed Suder and Hogan, if Voyager had been a Klingon ship, he would have gotten their jobs, their stuff, and their women.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 04:29 AM   #507
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
In the workplace if someone leaves, you can't always replace them but the same amount of work still has to be done. So the rest have to pick that up.
Which defies the premise of "We need everyone", which if followed meant they couldn't survive anyone dying or replace anyone that died.

There's a reason why most "Lost Ship" shows usually have the ship be automated to the point where they don't really need crews (Farscape, Stargate Universe, Andromeda).
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 04:35 AM   #508
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

Anwar wrote: View Post
There's a reason why most "Lost Ship" shows usually have the ship be automated to the point where they don't really need crews (Farscape, Stargate Universe, Andromeda).
So they can kill people off and no one ever asks how they're going to keep flying?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 04:40 AM   #509
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

Voyager can run on a hundred people.

They were fine.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 04:56 AM   #510
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: When did voyager go wrong?

teacake wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
There's a reason why most "Lost Ship" shows usually have the ship be automated to the point where they don't really need crews (Farscape, Stargate Universe, Andromeda).
So they can kill people off and no one ever asks how they're going to keep flying?
Well...yeah. It's because they don't want to have to constantly deal with the "Ship maintenance" part of the stories so they have the ships run themselves. Because when the ships don't require the cooperation of the crew to run, they can realistically spend more time in conflict with one another.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.