Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 31 2013, 12:00 AM   #16
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: Dumping Cable & Getting a Roku - Advice Needed

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I have my laptop connected to my HDTV, so I download everything I watch and stream it to my TV. If you have a decent laptop or a computer next to your TV you could connect the two via an HDMI cable.
My desktop is right next to my TV but neither my desktop nor laptop have an HDMI output, but the desktop does have a DVI output, so I am going to buy an adaptor.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:52 AM   #17
cylkoth
Commodore

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Hulu Plus ($9 a month) allows you to watch network television shows the day after they air, and Hulu Plus is an option on the Roku box. So for the price of a Roku Box, and about $17 (Hulu and Netflix combined) a month, you can pretty effectively cut the cord to your cable TV.
Regarding Hulu Plus, why can't those shows just be watched for free on the Network websites? I am trying to figure out the advantage that Hulu Plus has over watching the shows for free on, say, NBC.com. There must be some advantage or else people wouldn't purchase it, I just can't figure out what it is yet.
The short answer is that the big broadcast networks have been trying to protect their infrastructure-their distribution of content thru their local affiliates. They have been loathe to do anything that may damage relations with their partners, and lower profits. They have not created apps that permit watching their networks on set top boxes such as Roku, in fact, ABC is the first of the big 4 to finally create an app that they are rolling out this summer.
I don't know if it will be available for the Roku though...

If you want to save a little , you can get a refurbished Roku at their site. The new Roku 3s that are now sold, are HDMI only-no a/v output for using on an older television. The older Roku 2 XS has Ethernet and a/v output-check the specs to make sure you get the model that best suits your needs.
http:// http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XS-1080p-Streaming-Player/dp/B005CLPP84
Old June 1 2013, 01:57 PM   #18
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Different situation being in the UK and all but if you have a games console almost all of them have TV apps. Xbox has iPlayer, Netflix, LoveFilm, Channel 4 and Channel 5 catch up services here. I know over there they have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu. Same goes for the playstation. The Wii has Netflix and I think Amazon too.
Old June 3 2013, 01:37 AM   #19
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I have a Roku and I LOVE it. It does, however, have its limitations in that it has no YouTube app. I like it better than my Blu-ray player that has most of the same apps because it's just so stinkin' easy to use. No boot time. Simple user interface. Just all-around a well-designed product.

Hulu Plus' usefulness is debatable. I like it because I can get HD to my TV thru the Roku with it. However, not everything availble via Hulu Plus is availalble to stream to your TV, and a lot of the content that is a benefit of "Plus" is duplicated with a Netflix subscription. In addition, several major networks do not have agreements with Hulu to host their content - CBS, TNT, USA to name a few, which really stinks. Hulu's free version will probably do you fine if you're willing to watch on your computer, especially if you already subscribe to Netflix, and using your computer will allow you to keep up with those other networks as well using their websites.

I still say get a Roku though. They're relatively inexpensive for the value they provide, and I just think they're awesome. Plus, their marketing is purple.
Old June 3 2013, 01:52 AM   #20
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

^Now how did you know that purple is my absolute favorite color! Do you think that purchasing the Roku LT (the cheapest one) is good enough? The features compared to the more expensive ones don't seem like that big of a deal but I've never had one before, so what do I know.
—T.S. Eliot
Old June 3 2013, 02:11 AM   #21
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

^It all depends on what you want to do with it. The first one I bought was the higher-end one available at the time, and I got it because it had the USB jack. But I rarely used it, and frankly, it didn't work very well in recognizing the files I wanted to use it to view. What I have now is the cheaper purple one (2 of them, actually). I found the newest incarnation really tempting, as the remote includes a headphone jack. I would love it to be able to run music apps and walk around the house with headphones in my ears. It's marketed as being great for watching late at night without disturbing someone else, which sounds great except that I live alone and don't have to worry about that.

Glancing at the product list, really the choice is between the least and most expensive models. If you don't need what the most expensive one has to offer, buy the least expensive purple one. Plus you could get two of them for the cost of the one higher-end model, which you WILL want if you have more than one TV, because you will love it and end up watching all your TV in one room.

At least, that's what happened to me.
Old June 3 2013, 05:22 AM   #22
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

propita wrote: View Post
We have an Apple tv box a few years old but don't really use it. Where can I learn how to use it? Hubby is of no help on this, I have to teach him how to program a dvr. Smart man but easily frustrated by things that don't interest him.
Type "Apple TV demo" on YouTube. I thought its use was intuitive.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:41 AM   #23
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Sakrysta wrote: View Post
^It all depends on what you want to do with it. The first one I bought was the higher-end one available at the time, and I got it because it had the USB jack. But I rarely used it, and frankly, it didn't work very well in recognizing the files I wanted to use it to view. What I have now is the cheaper purple one (2 of them, actually). I found the newest incarnation really tempting, as the remote includes a headphone jack. I would love it to be able to run music apps and walk around the house with headphones in my ears. It's marketed as being great for watching late at night without disturbing someone else, which sounds great except that I live alone and don't have to worry about that.

Glancing at the product list, really the choice is between the least and most expensive models. If you don't need what the most expensive one has to offer, buy the least expensive purple one. Plus you could get two of them for the cost of the one higher-end model, which you WILL want if you have more than one TV, because you will love it and end up watching all your TV in one room.

At least, that's what happened to me.
I'm still using the N1000, and I'm not missing a thing by sticking with it. I do plan on getting another one, and giving my parents my first one. I paid $99 for it 4 years ago. I've got my money's worth.

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 05:35 AM   #24
tighr
Commodore

Welcome to the cord cutters club!

In addition to my roku (dead simple, as others have said), I also have a custom built HTPC running windows 7 with a tv-tuner card. This connects to my antenna, and using 7MC I can record all my locals. Very easy to use.
Old June 5 2013, 06:03 AM   #25
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

I don't have an HD television or a Roku, but I cut the cord about six months ago. I enjoyed it. I was able to watch all my shows, I gained an entire library with Netflix and bought NBA League Pass to follow my sport. The big thing was choosing when to watch what I wanted. If I wanted to watch six nights of Charlie Rose at 8PM, binge on Star Trek episodes until I went to bed (about 1AM), and then spend all day on Sunday watching NBA basketball (an actual week of what I did), I could do that and I enjoyed it. It's like I was programming my own network. I just searched online to check which shows were where and then bookmarked them. No need to worry about whether the DVR was recording during a show or worrying about if the DVR was full. The entire library is online. As time moved on, I started watching less and less television, even the internet television, but I think that was because of my equipment.

I still would be without cable if it weren't for the NBA playoffs. My cable company sent me a notice they would cut me a deal, and I was back in. They cut the price from 250 dollars a month which caused me to cut the cord, to 90 overnight. I was essentially getting television service for 15 dollars a month over what I was already paying. So if you cut the cord, and find it's not working, your cable company may be able to help you get it back.

I didn't set up a television in my house (no HD) with an antenna. No need. hate cop shows, daytime TV, and reality television. It was weird at first, but it really got to the point that I loved it and you can get most of that stuff online anyway, not through an affiliate. I just couldn't watch basketball games that were on cable stations. Unlike MLB (and NHL I think) they don't offer postseason streaming of games for a fee. If they did, I still would be without cable, even with the deal they cut me.
Old June 5 2013, 12:28 PM   #26
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

^ Yeah, sadly, if you're a sports fan, it's still not quite there in terms of cutting cable and being able to watch everything you want. There are some services out there, but if you follow multiple sports, you might end up paying close to what you pay now just in subscription fees.
Old June 6 2013, 01:08 AM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ I pay a fair amount for MLB.TV, but at least it's only annual. And even then it's less than what I used to pay for cable every month - plus, barring the occasional blackout rules (I live in Royals territory so every time the Yankees play them, I either listen to the radio feed or wait for 2 hours after the game), I'm guaranteed to get EVERY GAME, whereas with cable I'd be lucky if MLB Network, ESPN or (gack) Fox just happens to show a Yankee or Met game.

(MLB.TV is a massively useful service, by the way. I don't think there's a football equivalent, but there are for hockey and basketball - at least during the regular season.)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 02:53 AM   #28
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I pay a fair amount for MLB.TV, but at least it's only annual. And even then it's less than what I used to pay for cable every month - plus, barring the occasional blackout rules (I live in Royals territory so every time the Yankees play them, I either listen to the radio feed or wait for 2 hours after the game), I'm guaranteed to get EVERY GAME, whereas with cable I'd be lucky if MLB Network, ESPN or (gack) Fox just happens to show a Yankee or Met game.

(MLB.TV is a massively useful service, by the way. I don't think there's a football equivalent, but there are for hockey and basketball - at least during the regular season.)
I had a 4-month blackout of my Pistons. Not particularly depressing considering how much they won this past season, but the fact remains that if Jose Calderon doesn't re-sign with the Pistons, I never saw him with the Detroit Pistons. Blackouts are permanent, not a delay. So I couldn't watch any Pistons games. Not that useful. It was fun to see the Memphis Grizzlies, Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers, and Milwaukee Bucks throughout that time frame, however. I think that the NBA rules are not that conducive to those living in a market with a major franchise. They seemed determined to keep fans paying through cable. Maybe that has something to do with Time Warner running NBA.com.
Old June 8 2013, 03:29 PM   #29
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Spot's Meow, Amazon's deal of the day today takes $10 off the Roku LT making it $39. If you want one, I'd say this is a great day to take the plunge!
Old June 8 2013, 11:17 PM   #30
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the heads up!
—T.S. Eliot