Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 4 2013, 04:53 PM   #271
StCoop
Commodore

Re: Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

So the mystery of the Stephen Mangan photo from Saturday is solved. He was actually hinting that he's going to be playing Bertie Wooster, nothing to do with DW at all.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:11 PM   #272
RoJoHen
Awesome

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post

The casting of the next lead actor, with it's various aspects involved, seems to be the actual main topic of the thread, so that's what I'd like to be able to discuss in a while, at peace.
So what's stopping you?

I hope my civilisedness isn't causing too much harm.
I think your post was mostly just confusing.
Old June 4 2013, 06:51 PM   #273
Avalon
Captain

StCoop wrote: View Post
So the mystery of the Stephen Mangan photo from Saturday is solved. He was actually hinting that he's going to be playing Bertie Wooster, nothing to do with DW at all.
Ah. Figured it had to be some kind of tease, since the Beeb didn't appear to be all over him for it.

And...wouldn't it be funny if there was a Spartacus-style wave of every actor who's ever been suggested for the part tweeting pics of themselves draped in an endless scarf, a la Mr. Mangan, just prior to the Christmas special? It would certainly keep people on their toes...
Old June 4 2013, 10:02 PM   #274
Konata Izumi
Commander

Do actual women casually hit people, that does happen a lot in tv, are there like regions where it happens all the time, or is it happening here? My IRL social interaction is mostly limited to my class and the one and another before that, all consisting almost entirely of guys, true story. No sense in "going out more" with those existing contacts, when it's just sitting/standing around hour after hour, with a) dimwits who have very little to say or do, or b) several kinds of attention-deficit, infernally loud maniacs. And who'd talk to strangers, when you have computer. Er, was there a similar role model for kids before lately, seems horrible to teach them to hit people, because there's no denying it can actually cause trouble in schools, even if they did eventually grow out of it (sooner or later..).

I have hope for an especially non-malicious female Doctor, as the first one carries a heavy message of gender politics, so she'd have to be a particularly balanced person, setting a good example to both girls and guys of various degrees of sexism or lack of empowerment. After a season of two, a few bad traits should be added, to either the same Doctor or the next (female) one, again to not set some messed up example.

If it wasn't the next one, but many years after Moffat, or Chibnall I guess had left, there shouldn't be a need to make her overtly nice, she could be just normal, as there wouldn't be other messages piling up into something terrible.

"Sometimes you just have to PUNCH your way through!"
-Janeway

"I'll have to remember that one."
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 05:41 AM   #275
The Baby Stig
Rear Admiral

There's no reason whatever that a female Doctor would have to be any more 'normal' than the current incarnation. She could still be an insensitive, self-loathing, solitary creature that needs an external presence to round off the rough edges. It would, however, be interesting to have a female Doctor to counteract all the shrieking in terror that the companions usually get up to.

All we know is, he's The Baby Stig.
The Baby Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 07:34 AM   #276
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

People, as a rule I just made up from personal observation, are generally more judgmental of such qualities in women and likewise in female characters. Look at the way female politicians are held to a much higher standard of likability than their male counterparts as a perfect example. A female Doctor could be just as quirky, and have her occasional "NOBODY HUMAN HAS ANYTHING TO SAY TO ME TODAY!" moments, but she would probably need to be soft around the edges (in the same way the modern Doctors have been for the most part) for the sake of keeping her likable.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 08:07 AM   #277
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

We do not know how Gallifreyans reproduce. If the Timeladies don't menstruate, then they don't approximate any of the human stereotypes for an uneven personality being synced to the lunar cycle.

Hmmm?

All the Human women didn't seem to go inordinately loony in The Stolen Earth and Journeys End.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 07:17 PM   #278
Ghost Bones
Captain

Need I point out that there'll never be a female Doctor, leaving all this sophistry moot? Moffat may have turned Doctor Who into rotten bastardised filth that make RTD's atrocities look like all time classics by comparison, but even he's not so cretinous as to break the show entirely.

As for this talk about people holding men and women to different behavioural standards, it's because men and women are different. It's unfashionable and even politically incorrect to point out this obvious fact, but there it is. It's because women have the children and so are usually milder and less aggressive.
Old June 5 2013, 08:05 PM   #279
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

As I look around at all the pretence and hullabaloo, I have to collect my thoughts and say ...

Please, Matt Smith! Don't go! Please, I'm begging you! I just wanted to see you put in a year under one different show runner, I'm begging you! I'll never ask for anything else. I promise!

Just ...

STAY!

And don't mind the blubbering.
Old June 5 2013, 08:25 PM   #280
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Need I point out that there'll never be a female Doctor, leaving all this sophistry moot? Moffat may have turned Doctor Who into rotten bastardised filth that make RTD's atrocities look like all time classics by comparison, but even he's not so cretinous as to break the show entirely.
Your opinions about RTD and Moffat's eras aside, how exactly would having a female Doctor "break the show entirely"?
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 08:44 PM   #281
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Your opinions about RTD and Moffat's eras aside, how exactly would having a female Doctor "break the show entirely"?
Because it'll be a gimmick. In years time if the twelfth doctor is indeed a female (which I doubt now), people will always remember the twelfth doctor as "the female one". Plus with Moffat behind it, it will be as bad as that mess "the doctors wife".
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 08:47 PM   #282
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Because it'll be a gimmick. In years time if the twelfth doctor is indeed a female (which I doubt now), people will always remember the twelfth doctor as "the female one". Plus with Moffat behind it, it will be as bad as that mess "the doctors wife".
The Doctor's Wife was written by Neil Gaiman and is much lauded as being the best episode of that run

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 08:54 PM   #283
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Not a big Gaiman fan. Hated Doctors Wife and only liked Silver Nemeses a bit. Love the new design of the cybermen, but I think I prefer the RTD ones, Plus writing stories for these super cybermen will be a lot harder now.
Old June 5 2013, 09:25 PM   #284
Ubik
Commodore

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Do you think of Captain Sisko as "the black one"? If you do, my friend, you've got more problems than any of us can solve for you right now. If you don't, however, than why do you argue that a female Doctor would only be known as "the female one"? What if this female character also, through the stars aligning, turned out to be the best-written, best-acted version of the Doctor the show had ever seen? If you cast Emma Thompson, for example, you'd easily have the best actor to ever play the role. Most of the actors who have played the Doctor have been B-level at best. (No Patrick Stewarts or Ian McKellan's, quality-wise.)

Also, if, from now on, every second Doctor or so were a female, twenty-five years from now, people will be surprised to find that anyone ever once had a problem with it. They wouldn't think of the 12th Doctor as the "female one," because many of them would be female. Like all shocking changes, it would eventually become normal.

You know what else was a gimmick? The first interracial kiss on television. So was recasting Starbuck as a woman. So was having a black Captain. Call it a gimmick if you like, but it's only a gimmick if it's done badly. If it's done really well, it's called courageous writing. Now, I agree with you that a female Doctor under Moffat's reign would likely be a disaster, but the answer to that is, get rid of Moffat. Moffat couldn't capture a male Doctor properly either.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 09:34 PM   #285
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Well I don't have faith in Moffat. I'd want to at least want to wait until the fourteenth doctor until we go female. A lot of people I know are against it too. We've not even had a black doctor or any other ethicy yet, give us a black doctor or whatever first, then we'll talk.

Maybe a female doctor would be played well, but I just can't imagine anyone who could do it right.

For the record, I'm not just against Emma Watson becoming the doctor just because she's female, but because she's far too young in my opinion and I think she'd play it badly either way. I don't want her anywhere near Doctor Who in anyway let along the doctor himself (or in this case, herself).

I don't think we're quite ready for a female doctor yet. Can't think of a suitable candidate either. Nope, at least for now, I'd much rather have a male doctor again.