Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 5 2013, 05:02 PM   #31
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: I've started hating the word "rehash"...

I could see the Borg working, but I'd rather they stay out of it. I don't mind them rehashing old ideas, but for a TOS movie with the TOS crew, I'd rather they rehash a TOS idea.
Old June 5 2013, 05:32 PM   #32
Roald
Commander

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I could see the Borg working, but I'd rather they stay out of it. I don't mind them rehashing old ideas, but for a TOS movie with the TOS crew, I'd rather they rehash a TOS idea.
REHASH again...!!!! That word...!!!!

Re-imagening is NOT synonymous to REHASH..!
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 05:37 PM   #33
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
Why "luckily" ? He seemed to be doing a good job with the other two.
Lindelof only worked on the script for STiD.
My mistake, then.

I still wonder what's so wrong with him, according to some.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 05:42 PM   #34
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
The other side of the coin is Lex Luthor ALWAYS being used in Superman movies. The Man of Steel film is breaking that trend. However when you use and reuse the same villain or plots over and over it makes the franchise seem stagnant and uninteresting.
Nah Man of Steel is a total REHASH. General Zod was in Supes I and II and was on Smallville and a ton of animated films and it a ton of comic books.

It is still a rehash. In fact I am starting to wonder if Superman actually has any other villains.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 05:49 PM   #35
Robert_T_April
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
I am so over Q.
I just can't imagine anyone else besides John De-Lancie playing Q, and actually making the part enjoyable to watch.

The next story should be an arc involving the Klingons. STID set that up. Having Q, the re-imagined Borg, and/or Khan in Trek 3 would be overkill and garble the plot up.
Robert_T_April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 06:12 PM   #36
Robert_T_April
Captain

Roald wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
It's probably worth noting that Khan was a rehash when they brought him back in 1982. Didn't hurt the movie one bit. Would The Wrath of Khan have been a better movie with some brand-new threat? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, the nitpicker in me is obliged to point that that Lex Luthor did NOT appear in Superman III, which featured entirely new villains. Didn't help that movie one bit.
THANK YOU! Sooooo true..!
I don't consider TWoK a rehash of Khan. It was a continuation/conclusion to the story that Space Seed started. Not a rehash IMO.
Robert_T_April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 06:44 PM   #37
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I think Q did well with Picard and Janeway because they were stuffy and 'proper'.

nuKirk would probably like Q and where would the fun in that be?
Good observation. I was just reading an interview with DeLancie in which he states that he realized early on that Patrick Stewart had already staked out Grave and Serious, so DeLancie went for Snarky and Flippant by way of contrast . . . .
Old June 5 2013, 07:03 PM   #38
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I think Q did well with Picard and Janeway because they were stuffy and 'proper'.

nuKirk would probably like Q and where would the fun in that be?
Good observation. I was just reading an interview with DeLancie in which he states that he realized early on that Patrick Stewart had already staked out Grave and Serious, so DeLancie went for Snarky and Flippant by way of contrast . . . .
I think Kirk and Q would get along more like Sisko and Q did. Kirk would have zero tolerance for his nonsense, especially if he thought Q endangered his ship. I could see Kirk punching him, too.

Spock would simply find him childish, much like Trelane, but probably also be put off by how, to him, Q is a waste of intellect.

As far as rehashing anything goes, I sincerely hope nothing is the next time. The crew is on its five year mission. They're finally in deep space "where no one has gone, before." Let's pick them up three years into that mission in 2016 and see them finally functioning like a well-oiled machine in whatever conflict they face. That's all I can hope for.

If we have to keep revisiting things, then maybe Trek is out of new ideas.
Old June 5 2013, 07:34 PM   #39
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Come on, guys. Q wasn't just playful. He had a bit of a mean streak, too.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 07:39 PM   #40
Franklin
Rear Admiral

He could be more petulant than downright mean, I'd say.
Old June 5 2013, 07:42 PM   #41
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
He could be more petulant than downright mean, I'd say.
But he wasn't just fun and games either. Crew members died because of him, most notably in "Q Who?"
Old June 5 2013, 07:43 PM   #42
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Roald wrote: View Post
So Lindelof has suggested Q and the Borg might be used in Trek XIII... I think it would be like 'the coolest idea ever', but I see fans everywhere shouting and screaming things like: 'Why can't we have a new villain instead of REHASHING old ones?!' God, I hate that word, REHASH...

Were people screaming things like that about the Joker when people learned he would be in The Dark Knight..? The way Nolan reimagined the Joker was so brilliant, and I think The Borg, Q, even the Pakleds could be reimagined in a brilliant way... It's not a REHASH...

Rehash suggests that NEW villains are always better... Shinzon anyone..? Ru'afo..? Soran..? Nero..? All NEW villains... Personally, I'd rather see the Borg..!
The Borg were abused by that sinking ship called the Berman group. What should have been a rare, frightening couple of encounters in "Q Who?" and "The Best of Both Worlds" turned into the typical producer response: "we finally got a popular villain, so let's keep dragging 'em back to this and every other series, oh, and let's stick 'em in the TNG movies!"

A concept drained dry. Considering the nuTrek scripts, I do not expect their take on the Borg to surpass the eerie, fear of the unknown emotion running through the aforementioned episodes. If nuTrek is supposed to be a new voice, then create new villains.
Old June 5 2013, 07:49 PM   #43
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

anh165 wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
CrazyHorse89 wrote: View Post
I think Orci and Kurzman balance him. He seems to come up with all the whack ideas, and they rein him in.
And then mess it up themselves.
Do you ever have anything positive to say ?

Nope, he's a sniper.

Waste of bandwidth really.
Shazam!'s post did have the virtue of being a comment at least tangentially about the movie.

Yours, on the other hand, is a clear swipe at another poster and can in no way be mistaken for anything else. You've been asked on more than one occasion previously to refrain from taking swipes of that sort, so this time it will earn you a warning.

Post, not poster. Comments to PM.

And Belz..., every once in a while, I think you may find that Shazam! does have something positive to say. And when he doesn't, it's simple enough to let those pass without comment.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 07:51 PM   #44
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
The other side of the coin is Lex Luthor ALWAYS being used in Superman movies. The Man of Steel film is breaking that trend. However when you use and reuse the same villain or plots over and over it makes the franchise seem stagnant and uninteresting.
Nah Man of Steel is a total REHASH. General Zod was in Supes I and II and was on Smallville and a ton of animated films and it a ton of comic books.

It is still a rehash. In fact I am starting to wonder if Superman actually has any other villains.
To be fair most comic movies are adaptaions of comic stories, Hell Nolan's Batman comics you can trace from successful issues from the 90's. Man Of Steel is more of an adaptation of the 2004 comic Superman Birthrright. A relaunch origin story about a faux Kryptonian invasion. While the MoS movies will really be a Kryptonian invasion. I don't consider it a rehash because it's like taking a book and bringing it to life on the screen for millions to see.

Being a big fan of Superman myself I can count the times Zod's been used in the last 25 years.
1989 Supergirl Saga Man Of Steel comics
1999 comic Our World at War
2005 comic For Tomorrow
2008 Last Son
and 2010 New Krypton
He wasn't in the animated series of the 90's or the Justice League Series of the early 2000's. You add the 1980 Superman movie and Smallville and that's all he's been in thus far.

Unlike like Batman's Joker who is WAY overexposed. When people think Batman they instant think The Joker. Not Mr Freeze, Mad Hatter, Maxie Zeus, or Scarecrow. When people think Superman they instantly think Lex Luthor. Not Zod, Brainiac, Metallo, Parasite, or Darkseid.

Just like when general audiences hear star trek they instantly think klingons by association. Not Jem Ha'dar, Kazon, Borg, Xindi or Augments.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 07:51 PM   #45
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Why "luckily" ? He seemed to be doing a good job with the other two.
Lindelof only worked on the script for STiD.
My mistake, then.

I still wonder what's so wrong with him, according to some.
Most likely it's coming from people who hated the way Lindelof ended Lost. And people who disliked Prometheus.