Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 5 2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

Could Someone Please Explain Catspaw

OK, seriously, I am a pretty smart guy. I can even understand what Alternative Factor was supposed to be about. But, Catspaw, I never got! Who are Korob and Sylvia, what is their deal with capturing and terrorizing Kirk and company? A giant cat? Seriously, I can usually find something cool in every TOS episode (even when it is poorly written or directed), but this one just eludes me. Help me find something positive about Catspaw please.

Last edited by Praetor Baldric; June 5 2013 at 04:48 AM. Reason: grammar
Praetor Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 06:13 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Could Someone Please Explain Catspaw

I think this one falls in the 'guilty pleasure' category. I do love the Enterprise necklace.
Old June 5 2013, 06:23 AM   #3
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Big Daddy wrote: View Post
OK, seriously, I am a pretty smart guy. I can even understand what Alternative Factor was supposed to be about. But, Catspaw, I never got! Who are Korob and Sylvia, what is their deal with capturing and terrorizing Kirk and company? A giant cat? Seriously, I can usually find something cool in every TOS episode (even when it is poorly written or directed), but this one just eludes me. Help me find something positive about Catspaw please.
It's a Halloween special.

That is all.
Old June 5 2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
It's a Halloween special.

That is all.
Bingo. It originally aired on October 27 and was clearly intended as a fun Halloween romp--written by the author of PSYCHO, no less.

Rewatching it in, say, July as just another Trek episode is like watching "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and wondering what all the holiday carols and Christmas trees are about.

Just think of it as "A Very Trekkie Halloween" and it can be good, spooky fun! (I admit that I loved the episode as a kid and always looked forward to it.)
Old June 5 2013, 03:29 PM   #5
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Trek or treat!
Old June 5 2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Bingo. It originally aired on October 27 and was clearly intended as a fun Halloween romp--written by the author of PSYCHO, no less.
Right. Robert Bloch was known as a horror/fantasy writer, and "Catspaw" is very loosely inspired by a prose story Bloch wrote called "Broomstick Ride," which is summarized here.

It's worth remembering that part of Roddenberry's original pitch for the series was that it would feature parallel worlds that resembled cultures from Earth history, thus enabling the production to save money by reusing existing props, costumes, set pieces, and stock footage from historical shows/films rather than having to spend money creating entirely alien settings every week. So a lot of episodes started with the idea to replicate some Earthly culture or setting, and then a justification was made up for it. Let's do a space gangster episode so we can use stuff from The Untouchables! The excuse? Oh, let's say they're very imitative and some old ship left them a book about gangsters. Let's do an episode about Indians in space! The excuse? Let's say they were transplanted by some mysterious ancient race we'll never mention again. Let's do space Nazis! The excuse? Let's say an Earth historian altered their culture. Although Roddenberry himself was content to treat parallel cultural evolution as a spontaneous happenstance in his own scripts, as in "Bread and Circuses" and "The Omega Glory."

So the idea behind "Catspaw" was to do a Halloween episode that would let them use a castle set and medieval sorcery trappings and whatnot, and the excuse they came up with was an alien expedition studying humanity by accessing the racial subconscious and its primal fears.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 04:12 PM   #7
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

That's right, Trek or Treat. But if you need serious...

Sylvia and Korob were so alien that humanoid mind and humanoid life were totally foreign to them. To understand and/or control, they attempted to probe the conscious minds of crew and instead reached the unconscious mind, where they were unable to determine what is human reality and what is human imagination.

They probed the basic primal unconscious human mind, elemental fear, which they manifest in symbols of horror and terror (skeletons, torture, ghosts, etc.)

Like most ST, it's not really a bad idea, maybe just failing in execution. And it's been seen many times in ST... aliens who seek to understand mankind and latch on to one aspect by which to judge us (and make an eps)
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 12:25 AM   #8
Irishman
Fleet Captain

It had the unfortunate designation of being the "Halloween" episode of Star Trek that year. That gave the powers the be the excuse to be campy for camp's sake.

And they did. The result? Pipe cleaner and crab pincher marionette aliens! Ta da!
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 02:42 AM   #9
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Irishman wrote: View Post
It had the unfortunate designation of being the "Halloween" episode of Star Trek that year. That gave the powers the be the excuse to be campy for camp's sake.

And they did. The result? Pipe cleaner and crab pincher marionette aliens! Ta da!
I doubt the desire to be camp was behind the the pipe cleaner aliens.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 02:59 AM   #10
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Irishman wrote: View Post

I doubt the desire to be camp was behind the the pipe cleaner aliens.
Campy and cheapy.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 03:50 AM   #11
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

1) The stunt of the guy falling off the transporter pad

2) The sheer alienness of Sylvia and Korob, including the aliens at the end, which I thought were cool.

3) "Bones"
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 06:03 AM   #12
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Great fun, and aliens who turn out to be really alien.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 01:27 PM   #13
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
. . . Just think of it as "A Very Trekkie Halloween" and it can be good, spooky fun! (I admit that I loved the episode as a kid and always looked forward to it.)
I hated that episode when it first aired. I saw Star Trek as "serious" science fiction (compared to, say, Lost in Space) and thought the show ought to be above a cheap gimmick like doing a Halloween-themed episode.

Of course, that was before the Gangster Planet, the Nazi Planet, the Roman Empire Planet, and the American Flag and Constitution Planet . . .
Old June 6 2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Praetor Baldric
Lieutenant Commander

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
1) The stunt of the guy falling off the transporter pad

2) The sheer alienness of Sylvia and Korob, including the aliens at the end, which I thought were cool.

3) "Bones"
Those are great moments. Another is the dialogue between Kirk and Spock after they encounter the witches:

KIRK: Spock. Comment?
SPOCK: Very bad poetry, Captain.
KIRK: [rolls eyes] A more useful comment, Mister Spock.
Praetor Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 04:46 PM   #15
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander

I love this episode. The reason I love it is the line that went something like "Are you ok Bones..*skeleton* eeh McCoy"
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote