RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Posts: 5,214,226
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 764
Newest member: Farside89


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 2 2013, 06:38 AM   #46
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral
 
Johnny Rico's Avatar
 
Location: Gemenon
View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

t_smitts wrote: View Post
Well, that's a little better, even though the Exie's been done a million times as well. Looks pretty nice, even though I have to admit I find the white color a bit disorienting. Years of looking at Micro Machines has apparently conditioned me to think that the "B" is white while the Excelsior is BLUE.
Well, now that you mention it. I think it is blue. Take another look at it. I think the camera flash has washed out some of the blue on certain parts. The blue is a real light eggshell blue similar to what the studio model of the ENT-D was.

The official website makes mention that because lighting of each ship varied from shot to shot that the colors would change, so they consulted with CBS Studios to get the correct color.
__________________
13th Amendment to Free Slaves - 100% GOP support, 22% Dem support
14th Amendment to grant citizenship to Freed Slaves - 100% GOP support, 0% Dem support
15th Amendment to grant blacks the right to vote - 100% GOP support, 0% Dem support
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 11:19 PM   #47
t_smitts
Commander
 
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
t_smitts wrote: View Post
Well, that's a little better, even though the Exie's been done a million times as well. Looks pretty nice, even though I have to admit I find the white color a bit disorienting. Years of looking at Micro Machines has apparently conditioned me to think that the "B" is white while the Excelsior is BLUE.
Well, now that you mention it. I think it is blue. Take another look at it. I think the camera flash has washed out some of the blue on certain parts. The blue is a real light eggshell blue similar to what the studio model of the ENT-D was.

The official website makes mention that because lighting of each ship varied from shot to shot that the colors would change, so they consulted with CBS Studios to get the correct color.
Now that I look at it again, I see what you mean.

Now that I think about it, I'm curious what they did in the case of the handful of ships for which a CG version was never rendered: Constellation class, Ambassador class, Oberth class, Enterprise-B type, the Vulcan shuttle from TMP. I don't believe the refit Constitution was ever created in CG either.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 11:45 AM   #48
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Didn't they use a CGI refit Enterprise for the DE of ST:TMP?
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 02:28 PM   #49
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

I believe so.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 03:59 PM   #50
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

They did, and it still exists, but only ever rendered to SD, so it's nowhere near detailed enough for any further work.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:15 PM   #51
Kevman7987
Commander
 
Kevman7987's Avatar
 
Location: Erie, PA, USA
View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

t_smitts wrote: View Post
Now that I think about it, I'm curious what they did in the case of the handful of ships for which a CG version was never rendered: Constellation class, Ambassador class, Oberth class, Enterprise-B type, the Vulcan shuttle from TMP. I don't believe the refit Constitution was ever created in CG either.
I'd assume that there are enough physical models out there and so many reference pictures available that the proper paint apps and details can be found with a couple phone calls.
It's not too hard to go and look at the actual physical model as long as it still exists somewhere.
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:28 PM   #52
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

The refit was done for special TMP DVDs
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 07:57 PM   #53
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

t_smitts wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
They'll most certainly do the most famous and "common" ships in the early run of the subscription. We'll likely get into the less-explored ships in the later issues. I, too, am looking forward to an Akira. And a Centaur for that matter...
Unfortunately, I didn't see the Centaur on the list at Memory Alpha. I suppose it's possible that more might be released, if demand is great, but considering there's already seventy listed ships, plus a handful of bonus ones, that'd have to be some pretty big demand.
Well, that's a bummer! Oh, well...like you said, maybe they'll do an extension to the series if it's popular enough. With 70 issues, they will certainly have enough time to ascertain if it's worth the time and money to do it. I just hope they don't do some of the other DS9 kitbashes over the Centaur.

After having looked at the Memory Alpha list of ships, most of them make sense, although I would have favored something else than the Enterprise NCC-1701-A (issue 63), particularly since we're already getting the refit in issue 2. Probably nothing more than a simple repaint.

And the Enterprise-J in issue 38 REALLY intrigues me, particularly since it has largely been a lesser-explored vessel with unknown detail, and there has never been (to my knowledge) a complete set of orthos publicly made since its creation.

It looks like some really cool stuff is being planned for this series. I really hope it does well.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 01:33 AM   #54
t_smitts
Commander
 
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
t_smitts wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
They'll most certainly do the most famous and "common" ships in the early run of the subscription. We'll likely get into the less-explored ships in the later issues. I, too, am looking forward to an Akira. And a Centaur for that matter...
Unfortunately, I didn't see the Centaur on the list at Memory Alpha. I suppose it's possible that more might be released, if demand is great, but considering there's already seventy listed ships, plus a handful of bonus ones, that'd have to be some pretty big demand.
Well, that's a bummer! Oh, well...like you said, maybe they'll do an extension to the series if it's popular enough. With 70 issues, they will certainly have enough time to ascertain if it's worth the time and money to do it. I just hope they don't do some of the other DS9 kitbashes over the Centaur.

After having looked at the Memory Alpha list of ships, most of them make sense, although I would have favored something else than the Enterprise NCC-1701-A (issue 63), particularly since we're already getting the refit in issue 2. Probably nothing more than a simple repaint.

And the Enterprise-J in issue 38 REALLY intrigues me, particularly since it has largely been a lesser-explored vessel with unknown detail, and there has never been (to my knowledge) a complete set of orthos publicly made since its creation.

It looks like some really cool stuff is being planned for this series. I really hope it does well.
I actually don't have a problem with repaints, if it's actually a different ship and not just a variation of the same ship.

For example, I liked that Johnny Lightning made a Yamato (though I would've preferred the Odyssey), a Constitution class Excalibur and Defiant, and the ISS Enterprise NX-01.

I didn't care for those "battle-damaged" or "cloaked" versions of existing ships, however. Those are just so much suckage.

And you gotta have all the Enterprises.

I have no desire to see any of the kitbashes from DS9 besides the Centaur. Most of them are hideous.

As I've said, the Merchantman is seriously overdue. (I don't think anyone's made a miniature of that one). I'd really like an Andorian ship and the D'Kyr type Vulcan ship too.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:07 AM   #55
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

^^^ The only folks I've ever seen do a Merchantman was FASA for the ST:TSFS Starship Combat Simulator expansion module. It was around 1.5 inches in length. Quite detailed and accurate IIRC, but super small and kind of hard to find, as most everyone were only interested in the larger capital ships.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 07:15 PM   #56
t_smitts
Commander
 
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ The only folks I've ever seen do a Merchantman was FASA for the ST:TSFS Starship Combat Simulator expansion module. It was around 1.5 inches in length. Quite detailed and accurate IIRC, but super small and kind of hard to find, as most everyone were only interested in the larger capital ships.
Technically, it was a company called Citadel that made them.

From Memory Alpha:

"Citadel released for the UK market starship miniatures, that were based upon the gaming materials originating from the FASA gaming miniatures, as indicated on the packaging."

Actually, looking at the list, I would've liked to have seen the Groumall and the Jenolen too.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 07:33 PM   #57
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Ah, yes. Citadel. Forgot about them, so many years ago.

Shit, I'm old.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 01:33 PM   #58
Trek Survivor
Captain
 
Location: UK
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

I got the pilot run of these last May/June. Good models, interesting enough magazine. Will probably get some more.

Rest assured on Eaglemoss - check out their Marvel Figurine Collection which ran from 2005-2012 (actually, maybe a bit into this year as well). Amazing models, and a real commitment to complete what they set out to do (that was so popular it kept getting extended).

The reports that they needed a new factory to handle production are true.

The reports that they underestimated initial demand was also true.

They released their little test run (like they usually do with the partworks) and somehow forgot to remember that, in these internet times, everybody (nationally and internationally!) can learn about the new series within minutes! Suddenly, it wasn't just a few folk in the SW of England that were interested...
__________________
Want an awesome read? Check out "Showdown: A Darker Evil Rising" on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Showdown-Darke...er+evil+rising
Trek Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 02:43 PM   #59
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

I'm pretty confident that they'll deliver a quality product. I've seen what they've done in the past and have been quite impressed. As others have mentioned here, however, I just wish they would have sent a simple confirmation email that my pre-order has been recorded and processed. It's a small thing technically but, from a greater perception POV, it's a significant matter of common internet commerce etiquette that seems to have been bypassed in this instance. All that aside, yes, I'm sure everything will work out based on their otherwise excellent reputation.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 05:48 PM   #60
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral
 
Johnny Rico's Avatar
 
Location: Gemenon
View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

They've released a new photo of several...many models, including the Defiant, K'Tinga, and Intrepid (Voyager). https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekStarships
__________________
13th Amendment to Free Slaves - 100% GOP support, 22% Dem support
14th Amendment to grant citizenship to Freed Slaves - 100% GOP support, 0% Dem support
15th Amendment to grant blacks the right to vote - 100% GOP support, 0% Dem support
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.