Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 21 2013, 07:58 PM   #16
EJD1984
Commander

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
The 2009 bluray special features for the Narada said it was capable of transwarp drive
If you go back to the original prequel comic, most of the Narada was actually based on Borg technology. Transwarp Drive in the nuVerse could be near or equal to Borg Trans Warp Conduit.
Old May 21 2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Shilliam Watner
Commander

The Keeper wrote: View Post
The Vengeance darkly creeping up from behind was that ships money shot of the whole movie!
It was indeed. Also as I stated on another Vengeance thread that when it warped up behind the Enterprise it sounded like a Nazi V1 Buzz Bomb. Take a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Q9oAPrvZo
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 08:22 PM   #18
The Keeper
Commodore

Holy crap. They should weaponize that sound. Reminds me of...

I actually didn't hear any sound from it first viewing, I'll keep an ear open for it next time.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:24 PM   #19
anh165
Commander

There is no comparison.

The Vengeance is 1400+ meters long, has a variety of firepower and actually WORKS.

Same cant be said about the tiny little Excelsior which did squat in ST3 and ST6, and served as cannon fodder in many of the pointless battles in DS9.
Old June 1 2013, 08:38 PM   #20
publiusr
Commodore

I wonder if that was the same sound the Cruise War of the Worlds tripods made. In the animated Justice League, we heard a sound from Ggreen Lantern's ring that was used for the new Dr. Who Dalek gun...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 08:46 PM   #21
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
As for going to the center: the less you think about The Final Frontier, the better.
Row, row, row your boat...
Old June 1 2013, 08:57 PM   #22
ATimson
Rear Admiral

anh165 wrote: View Post
The Vengeance is 1400+ meters long, has a variety of firepower and actually WORKS.

Same cant be said about the tiny little Excelsior which did squat in ST3 and ST6, and served as cannon fodder in many of the pointless battles in DS9.
ST3: Sabotaged by Scotty. Not representative of the class.
ST6: Survived the Chang fight with no significant damage (unlike the Enterprise). Performed well here.
DS9: Outclassed by 80 years of technical innovation. Not fair to hold against the class at its debut.

So, the only instance we see the Excelsior-class at its peak, it outperforms the Constitution class. Sounds a lot like the Vengeance to me.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 12:01 AM   #23
Jeyl
Commodore

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
The Keeper wrote: View Post
The Vengeance darkly creeping up from behind was that ships money shot of the whole movie!
It was indeed. Also as I stated on another Vengeance thread that when it warped up behind the Enterprise it sounded like a Nazi V1 Buzz Bomb. Take a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Q9oAPrvZo
Sounds like a high pitched prop plane doing a nose dive, but that's pretty close.

LINK
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:44 PM   #24
anh165
Commander

ATimson wrote: View Post

ST6: Survived the Chang fight with no significant damage (unlike the Enterprise). Performed well here.
How did it 'perform well'? It got shot at only once with no visible damage, and only because the studio couldn't afford to damage the Excelsior model as it had to be reused for various episodes of TNG.

The Excelsior got hit once and sat there like an oyster, until the Enterprise fired the tracking torpedo at the BoP.

In VOY:Flashbacks, the Excelsior got torpedoed by old Klingon cruisers, couldn't do nothing to fight back and barely escaped.

DS9: Outclassed by 80 years of technical innovation. Not fair to hold against the class at its debut.
That episode featured a bit of a fanwanked Excelsior class ship with retrofitted upgrades and it still nearly got wiped out by something of an oversized shuttle craft. It was only the reluctance of the Defiant crew that allowed the Lakota to live.

Also how about the various Excelsiors that blew up, got shot to peices in other DS9 battles?

So, the only instance we see the Excelsior-class at its peak, it outperforms the Constitution class. Sounds a lot like the Vengeance to me.
I think you must be seeing a different Star Trek to me then, because from the examples above and in ST3, whenever it was next to the Enterprise it broke down or just sat still.

The Vengeance from the get go was all business, the only reason why it ended up trashed because it made the universal fatal mistake of attacking the Enterprise with Kirk in command!
Old June 4 2013, 11:45 PM   #25
WarpFactorZ
Captain

I'm going to recant on my original post. On second viewing, I heard Carol Marcus say "advanced warp drive." So, no direct mention of transwarp. But one could make the connection that "advanced" warp = "trans"warp.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 01:11 AM   #26
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I don't know. Advanced warp drive, plus the aforementioned STIII reference in catching a ship at warp sounds like Transwarp to me.
Old June 5 2013, 07:39 AM   #27
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

anh165 wrote: View Post
I think you must be seeing a different Star Trek to me then, because from the examples above and in ST3, whenever it was next to the Enterprise it broke down or just sat still.
Ultimately, so did the Vengeance.

The Vengeance from the get go was all business, the only reason why it ended up trashed because it made the universal fatal mistake of attacking the Enterprise with Kirk in command!
Actually, it made the same mistake that Excelsior made: never chase the Enterprise when Scotty's been in your engine room.
Old June 5 2013, 07:44 AM   #28
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
I'm going to recant on my original post. On second viewing, I heard Carol Marcus say "advanced warp drive." So, no direct mention of transwarp. But one could make the connection that "advanced" warp = "trans"warp.
She didn't say anything like that. Her exact words were: "He's been designing a ship with Mark-Four capabilities, including--" but she never finishes because the Vengeance shows up right about them.

She probably means "Mark Four WARP capabilities," which might imply a "transwarp propulsion units, Mark-IV." Given that the older ships in the fleet might have been retrofitted to the Mk-II (Mk-I being a prototype that entered service WAY earlier than expected) Enterprise would be the Mk-III.

Fridge logic.
FABULOUS!

Old June 5 2013, 10:11 AM   #29
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
She didn't say anything like that. Her exact words were: "He's been designing a ship with Mark-Four capabilities, including--" but she never finishes because the Vengeance shows up right about them.
I distinctly remember her saying something about advanced warp capabilities, Eddie. Maybe someone here can confirm.
Old June 5 2013, 05:16 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome

Belz... wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
I distinctly remember her saying something about advanced warp capabilities, Eddie. Maybe someone here can confirm.
I do, too. Not sure of the exact line, but I definitely remembering hearing something about an advanced warp drive.