MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 4 2013, 12:09 AM   #31
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

Yes, twenty more movies, at least.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:10 AM   #32
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Yes. Duh.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:23 AM   #33
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Hell yeah, there's a five year mission to tell stories about.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:51 AM   #34
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Does a bear shit in the woods? Is the Pope Catholic? Is the sky blue?
Old June 4 2013, 02:35 PM   #35
newtontomato539
Commander

No I don't.

May Bad Robot rot in hell.

Voyager, Enterprise and Nemesis did not flop. Therefore, there was no reason for a reboot.

Bring back the Prime Universe.

If Star Trek never comes back, I would rather it stay dead than bring in new fans.

Now, get off my lawn!

:Sarcasm tag off:

:Smirk tag on:
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:30 PM   #36
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Hell yeah, there's a five year mission to tell stories about.
5 movies, one for each year, sounds good.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 07:01 PM   #37
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Actually I see the next movie... which will probably be in five years give or take... involving them returning from their 5 year mission.
Old June 4 2013, 07:40 PM   #38
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

For those who like the jjverse, do they want unique characters and situations or just reimagined plots from TOS and its movies.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 08:51 PM   #39
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Neither STID nor ST09 were reimagined plots, so I guess they want new stuff. They also throw some old stuff in there for nostalgic value.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:49 PM   #40
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
For those who like the jjverse, do they want unique characters and situations or just reimagined plots from TOS and its movies.
Both. It's a big universe.
Old June 5 2013, 12:56 AM   #41
Charles Phipps
Commander

I definitely want more movies. If nothing else, it gives us some time to get our heads on straight about what Star Trek is all about. Star Trek had run itself into the ground by the time of Nemesis and there wasn't a damn original idea left. Abram's reboots keep them in the public eye while also being just plain entertaining.

It helps foster good will for the inevitable new series.
Old June 5 2013, 01:19 AM   #42
Mooch
Fleet Captain

Belz... wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Personally, so far I see no justification for the reboot.
Haven't we been through this before ? To make it more accessible to people who aren't Trek academics, and bring the damn thing into the 21st century. Enterprise and Voyager felt like we were still trying to tell 60s stories.
What exactly is a "60s story"?
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 02:50 AM   #43
Lance
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Sure there are. The biggest being that Anakin is an incredibly unsympathetic character. From the moment Hayden Christensen walks onto the scene, you could see him falling to the dark side and no one cared.
Absolutely. How much more satisfying would it be to have seen a nice guy go bad... than it was to have a petulant rebellious teen stay petulant and rebellious? It's clear we're supposed to associate the innocent kid from the first movie with the teenager from the second and third ones, but this is problematic in itself. There's a natural disconnect, almost as if they're two completely different characters (not helped by everybody else still being played by the same actors - what, does being a Jedi make someone enter puberty quicker?).
Which is true, Anakin's fall would have been much more dramatic had he been older, wiser and gentler, but that has nothing to do with the point I was making.
While I do empathize with your broader point that to some degree ST2009 didn't necessarily need to be a reboot -- there was definitely mileage in it perhaps bridging the eras of ENT and TOS in the canon, and certainly if there is a starship crew in Star Trek whose pasts are still very much an open book then its the TOS crew, who never actually had a proper introduction story -- the reality is that the word "prequel" holds certain connotations with the general audience that Paramount hoped to target. They wanted to make a Star Trek that would appeal to as broad a cross-section of the audience as possible, and a prequel story still gives off the impression that it's being made for the fanbase first and foremost. Like it or not, that isn't the market that ST2009 and STID were targetting.

That little word, "reboot", makes all the difference in marketing this Star Trek as being a fresh take on the concept. Where a "prequel" to Star Trek might have been offputting to an audience who don't feel they're up to speed on the canon, a "reboot" opens up the possibility that this movie is an 'entry level experience' that anyone and their dog can enjoy, irrespective of whether they've ever seen Star Trek before or not. As silly as it sounds, whether the 2009 movie was being marketed as a "prequel" or a "reboot" really could have made a big difference between someone choosing to buy a ticket to see it or not.

See, the trouble with using the Star Wars prequels as a litmus test for the ability of a prequel to reach a wide audience is that Star Wars has got (and always HAS had) a much broader market appeal than Star Trek. Star Wars doesn't (or didn't in 1999 at any rate) have the perception of being as tied up inside its own canon as Star Trek is. In constrast, Star Trek still had the perception of being 'that show which is made for Trekkies', which is why this being a "reboot" was so important. They needed to assure the general audience that this was a Star Trek for everyone.

From a marketing perspective, let alone from the perspective of rebuilding a Star Trek brand that was in complete tatters following a string of percieved flops, this being a brash new reboot of the franchise was absolutely crucial to making the 2009 movie a success.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 04:46 AM   #44
ralfy
Lieutenant

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
What major problems are you talking about?

There no more or less than in any film let alone a Trek film and the JJ movies are both critically acclaimed and raked in more money than any of the others.

Not sure what the real problem is here.
Search for "Star Trek Into Darkness: The Spoiler FAQ." (Warning: spoilers.)

There are more major problems with the story that aren't mentioned in the FAQ.
ralfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 05:54 AM   #45
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Most of the Trek films have plot holes you can fly the U.S.S. Vengeance through.