Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 65 83.33%
Above average 9 11.54%
Average 2 2.56%
Below average 1 1.28%
Poor 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 4 2013, 09:57 PM   #181
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
There are various downsides to allying with the Boltons, though, of which Tywin would have been aware. But elaborating on that point would be more appropriate to the spoiler thread.
Their sigil is a flayed man, and their capital city is called the Dreadfort. I think the downsides of being friends with the Boltons is pretty clear.
Old June 4 2013, 09:59 PM   #182
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Yeah, but there's more to it than that, some of which depends on things that haven't yet happened (or haven't yet been made explicit) on the show.
Old June 4 2013, 10:06 PM   #183
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Starbrow wrote: View Post
InklingStar wrote: View Post
I think G.R.R. just wanted to shock his viwers/readers. There was so much more he could have done with this characters but just like with Ned, he threw the white flag.

I am guessing now, based on the movie episodes: with out the Wolfs the conflict is pretty much gone now, right? Who is going to fight Lannisters?
Stannis is still out there. The alliance with the Tyrells is shaky. Dany has dragons and an army. The Others (White Walkers) are coming, eventually. The Brotherhood Without Banners is still on the loose. And of course, not all the Stark bannermen pulled a Roose Bolton and switched sides. The North remembers...
Stannis lost his battle already in Season 2. So he is out of the game for now.
Dany is also out of the game, her 3 trump cards are still too young.
The Brootherhood is just a small band of bandits, they aren't really in the game.

So who is still playing the game?
A Song of Ice and Fire is not about which king will sit on the Iron Throne. It was never really about Starks versus Lannisters. The main plot of the saga is introduced right at the beginning, the prologue in both books and TV show: Winter is coming. The Others, the White Walkers, the mythological creatures of the far north, have returned after millennia. All the fighting within the Seven Kingdoms is just a sideshow to what is really coming. Will the lords of Westeros wake from the bloodbath in time to unite against the true threat?
Old June 4 2013, 10:27 PM   #184
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Here's a question. Does anybody understand why Arya hates the Hound soooo much? I get that he's done some wrong, but is he that bad?
She reiterated the reason for her hatred of Clegane when she accused him of riding down and murdering Mycah the innocent stable boy in front of the Brotherhood Without Banners. That, and his general association as the primary protector of the boy (Joffrey) who ordered her father's death.
Yeah, but he explained to her that he didn't have any real choice about killing her friend. If he refused to do that, he'd be killed and the boy would have still been killed. What did she expect him to do? I think she hates him for things that he didn't really have much of a choice about. The only reason why I think he was able to abandon him post protecting the "king" is because it was during a war and he was probably presumed dead afterward.

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
superdeluxe wrote: View Post

Yeah, I understand why you're blinking, but that's still my reaction. I expected that it would be more of a battle and slaughter than it was. Pretty much everyone had left the room, the "Rains of Castamere" starts playing, and people are picked off like sheep with a few words thrown in. It was a nice episode, but I guess I just expected more.
That's what the Red Wedding is. It's not a battle. It's a massacre.
I get that, but it's just that it didn't really seem that way to me. I don't know. It felt a little flat. It was still good, though. An average GoT episode is like a B+ for a lot of other series out there. So, I'm not complaining.

superdeluxe wrote: View Post
Here's a question. Does anybody understand why Arya hates the Hound soooo much? I get that he's done some wrong, but is he that bad?

He killed her friend, I think that is just cause. I mean at least for her.
I guess I'll just have to accept that that's the way Arya works, then. Thanks.

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Could he he have preserved his life? Seems to me Robb was dead no matter what. There was no longer any way he could have won the war. His idea to attack Casterly Rock was a stupid one, and Catelyn even said so before letting her emotion get the better of her. If he had surrendered to the Lannisters, then he would have quickly had his head separated from his body. I suppose there was a chance that if he had decided to cut his losses and throw in with Stannis he might not have been executed. Would even the combined remainder of Stannis and Robb's forces be enough to threaten the Lannisters, though?
I think that was the case after he killed the Karstark (sp?) guy. The man told him to kill him and be cursed, and I think it was over after that. He'd done too much and made too many selfish mistakes at that point. Unlike his father, he didn't seem to understand people. I honestly think that's what cost him in the end. Both he and Theon tried to lead without really understanding it, imo.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:30 PM   #185
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Stannis is still out there. The alliance with the Tyrells is shaky. Dany has dragons and an army. The Others (White Walkers) are coming, eventually. The Brotherhood Without Banners is still on the loose. And of course, not all the Stark bannermen pulled a Roose Bolton and switched sides. The North remembers...
Dany is also out of the game, her 3 trump cards are still too young.
The Brootherhood is just a small band of bandits, they aren't really in the game.

So who is still playing the game?
A Song of Ice and Fire is not about which king will sit on the Iron Throne. It was never really about Starks versus Lannisters. The main plot of the saga is introduced right at the beginning, the prologue in both books and TV show: Winter is coming. The Others, the White Walkers, the mythological creatures of the far north, have returned after millennia. All the fighting within the Seven Kingdoms is just a sideshow to what is really coming. Will the lords of Westeros wake from the bloodbath in time to unite against the true threat?
I think that's half of it. That's the ice part, but I think the fire part is the rest. Or, maybe it's Danearys and her dragons because the dragons can probably defeat the white walkers. Sam was able to kill one with dragon glass, and the only way to make sure that someone doesn't turn into one of them when they die is the burn them. I think that's what the ultimate showdown is going to be. Dragons vs. white walkers.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:36 PM   #186
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Gold star.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:49 PM   #187
Starbrow
Lieutenant Commander

That is what i thought when i saw the promotion for the Season 1, but it has been 17 years since the first book was written, and the Winter is still comming , but...

Last edited by Starbrow; June 4 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Starbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:53 PM   #188
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

That's been pretty plain from the start, that the whole point of this affair is to get us to the place where Dany's dragons can get to Westeros to save all of them from the walkers... the question is who will be riding alongside her?
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 11:24 PM   #189
Dream
Admiral

You also have to be clever, resourceful, ruthless or any number of other things to stay alive. Ned and Robb let their honor get in the way and which lead to bad decision after bad decision. I had a hard time rooting for those two in the end.

Every single Lannister has been able to outsmart them; Tywin in the battlefield, Cersei having Ned arrested, Jaime looks to be on his way home after being captured for a year, and Tyrion managing to stay alive after being falsely accused and arrested by Cat.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 11:32 PM   #190
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Stannis is easily the best candidate for sitting on the iron throne.

Dream wrote:
Ned and Robb let their honor get in the way and which lead to bad decision after bad decision.
Eh, not really? Robb died because of a vow he broke. Hardly Eddard level of honour. Robb had no way of seeing what was coming, unlike Eddard. The entirety of Westeros is stunned by it.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 11:55 PM   #191
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Eh, not really? Robb died because of a vow he broke. Hardly Eddard level of honour. Robb had no way of seeing what was coming, unlike Eddard. The entirety of Westeros is stunned by it.
Robb knew that marrying Talisa meant losing the Frey men. Robb knew executing Rickard Karstark meant losing more of his men that he couldn't afford to lose. Robb had already defeated himself long before the Red Wedding.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 12:00 AM   #192
Dream
Admiral

Robb died because of a vow he broke. Hardly Eddard level of honour. Robb had no way of seeing what was coming, unlike Eddard. The entirety of Westeros is stunned by it.
He died for many reasons. He stupidly executed Karstark for killing the boys because of honor, which led to Robb losing much of his forces. He seems to have forgotten the Lannisters didn't play by the rules which they killed his father.

But Catelyn releasing Jaime was the final straw. I really doubt Tywin would have gone along with the Red Wedding if Jaime was still a hostage, and killed in retaliation.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 12:16 AM   #193
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Stannis is easily the best candidate for sitting on the iron throne.

Dream wrote:
Ned and Robb let their honor get in the way and which lead to bad decision after bad decision.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 03:11 AM   #194
Rulius
Fleet Captain

View Rulius's Twitter Profile

Hopefully the Others will arrive south of the Wall and find that the humans have all killed themselves. The only character I see being invulnerable is Dany. Without her no dragons.
Old June 5 2013, 05:43 AM   #195
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Now, the Freys are placated, the Karstarks are revenged, and Roose Bolton is the big dog in the North. Not to mention the War of the Five Kings is basically over now.
It's even sweeter for Tywin. He set the Freys up perfectly, because the way they did things they broke the Guest Rite of Westeros and have disgraced their name for the rest of history. They took out HIS enemy, and in the process ruined themselves so everyone will blame them first and foremost and ignore Tywin as the main man behind it all. Tywin gets away with his name intact, the Freys are utterly screwed and will the the target of all revenge schemes from now on.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote