RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,085
Posts: 5,398,711
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 526
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Would you be okay with a female Doctor?
I am okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's gender could be Wibbley-Wobbly!) 69 56.10%
I would not be okay with a female Doctor. (The Doctor's maleness is a Fixed Point!) 40 32.52%
I don't really have any strong feelings either way. (Fish-fingers and Custard!) 14 11.38%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 4 2013, 03:00 PM   #91
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

teacake wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
The fact that DalekJim and Green Lantern actually agree on something has me worried.
I think we're OK as long as The River doesn't run red
Is this about River Song's time of the month?
OH...Geeze, that wasn't my intention, I hope no one found it too offensive That's as bad as when I referred to the Crack on Amy's wall as "Amy's Crack"

Though River did play Egyptian Royalty in that one episode...
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:24 PM   #92
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
How about casting someone like Jaye Davidson or Tilda Swinton, at that age where they can carry off androgynous perfectly, and have a Doctor whose gender identity can switch according to mood?
Because that is a cheap cop-out. Like exploring sexuality by having Riker get involved with an intergendered alien who is clearly an attractive female. If it is a woman Doctor it should be a proper woman Doctor. A bit of androgyny in personality and dress perhaps, but adding such a caveat to the use of a woman actor is cowardly, unnecessary and kind of insulting to whoever they cast.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:27 PM   #93
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral
 
The Laughing Vulcan's Avatar
 
Location: At The Laughing Vulcan's party...
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

Venardhi wrote: View Post
The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
How about casting someone like Jaye Davidson or Tilda Swinton, at that age where they can carry off androgynous perfectly, and have a Doctor whose gender identity can switch according to mood?
Because that is a cheap cop-out. Like exploring sexuality by having Riker get involved with an intergendered alien who is clearly an attractive female. If it is a woman Doctor it should be a proper woman Doctor. A bit of androgyny in personality and dress perhaps, but adding such a caveat to the use of a woman actor is cowardly, unnecessary and kind of insulting to whoever they cast.
Jaye Davidson is male... See The Crying Game.

Depends on how you cast it, how good the actor is, and how well the character is written. Agreed that at worst it'll go all TNG, but done well it can be interesting...
__________________
"Don't try to live so wise. Don't cry 'cause you're so right.
Don't dry with fakes or fears, 'Cause you will hate yourself in the end."

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:44 PM   #94
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

Jaye Davison is also retired from acting (and was never that good at it anyway)
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:50 PM   #95
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

scnj wrote: View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with it. Just get the right actress for the role. What's Natalie Dormer up to when she's not filming Game of Thrones?
Playing Irene Adler on Elementary?
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:57 PM   #96
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
How about casting someone like Jaye Davidson or Tilda Swinton, at that age where they can carry off androgynous perfectly, and have a Doctor whose gender identity can switch according to mood?
Because that is a cheap cop-out. Like exploring sexuality by having Riker get involved with an intergendered alien who is clearly an attractive female. If it is a woman Doctor it should be a proper woman Doctor. A bit of androgyny in personality and dress perhaps, but adding such a caveat to the use of a woman actor is cowardly, unnecessary and kind of insulting to whoever they cast.
Jaye Davidson is male... See The Crying Game.

Depends on how you cast it, how good the actor is, and how well the character is written. Agreed that at worst it'll go all TNG, but done well it can be interesting...
I rather doubt it would add anything of worth to the premise or the character. It isn't going to happen either way.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:46 PM   #97
beamMe
Fleet Captain
 
beamMe's Avatar
 
Location: Europa
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I thought Donna was one of the best Doctor Who companions of all time.
THE best. Fact.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:45 PM   #98
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

beamMe wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
I thought Donna was one of the best Doctor Who companions of all time.
THE best. Fact.
Barbara Wright is still the best companion of all time, if you really want to get into factual facts.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 06:00 PM   #99
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
I thought Donna was one of the best Doctor Who companions of all time.
THE best. Fact.
Barbara Wright is still the best companion of all time, if you really want to get into factual facts.
There's only 1 female Companion who got not 1, but, 2 TV Spinoffs, so, logically, THE BEST female Companion must be SarahJane (Closely followed by Romana II and Donna)
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:22 PM   #100
Konata Izumi
Commander
 
Konata Izumi's Avatar
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I would be more than fine with a female Doctor!
Nice avatar.
Shazam! wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Actors that have showed absolutely no ability to convincingly portray an alien, outcast scientist.
That's a fairly specific pre-requisite.
Ever heard of the concept of extrapolation.?
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Apparently, you really do have to work your hate for RTD into anything.
Repetition seems to be the norm here. At least when he talks about Doctor Who, Russel T. Davies is such a relevant figure to the larger area of discussion, that referring to him is natural. There should be nothing unusual happening here. RTD's a vivid way to illustrate the poster's worldview to give vital context to the his take on whatever topic at hand; nothing unusual in that either, even the worldview is not particularly uncommon.
Shazam! wrote: View Post
In a show in which the main character has been established as being able to change EVERY CELL IN HIS BODY he could come back as a rabbit for all I care.
If the lighting got even darker, they could borrow one of David Lynch's rabbit-man costumes, for a dark mystery rabbit-man Doctor.. ..
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I think The Doctor being a paternal figure is a very key element of the show's DNA that shouldn't be changed. A female Doctor could work but there's a 99.99% chance the writers would just fuck it up so I'm not really up for it.
Yes someone in a female body can be paternal too. I'd like her to have no specifically female characterisation, just leave out any overtly blokey parts that many, but not all Doctors have. The Doctor is a personality type and it isn't overtly stereotypically male. I'd like them to show to all the little girls that them too having Doctorly traits is acceptable. And to the chauvinists. To me that looks like such a simple task, but what I'm afraid of, fucking that one up would cause massive damage... :/
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:31 PM   #101
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

Damn, all this talk about The Doctor regenerating into a Rabbit has me desperately wanting to see a 6ft Talking Rabbit as The Doctor now (Or at least a Companion) .
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:37 PM   #102
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
I thought Donna was one of the best Doctor Who companions of all time.
THE best. Fact.
Barbara Wright is still the best companion of all time, if you really want to get into factual facts.
Sarah Jane Goddam Motherfucking Smith.
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Wolfsangel (MD Lachlan)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:42 PM   #103
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post

THE best. Fact.
Barbara Wright is still the best companion of all time, if you really want to get into factual facts.
Sarah Jane Goddam Motherfucking Smith.
Damn straight.

__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:51 PM   #104
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

Sindatur wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I think we're OK as long as The River doesn't run red
Is this about River Song's time of the month?
OH...Geeze, that wasn't my intention, I hope no one found it too offensive That's as bad as when I referred to the Crack on Amy's wall as "Amy's Crack"

Though River did play Egyptian Royalty in that one episode...
LOL Sindatur I'm just running with the oh noes a woman theme of some of this thread. I realize PMS is not as likely an issue with timelords but it's likely an issue with misogyny. And I knew you meant no such thing.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 11:01 PM   #105
scnj
Captain
 
Re: Female Doctor Poll!

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Damn, all this talk about The Doctor regenerating into a Rabbit has me desperately wanting to see a 6ft Talking Rabbit as The Doctor now (Or at least a Companion) .
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.