Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 65 83.33%
Above average 9 11.54%
Average 2 2.56%
Below average 1 1.28%
Poor 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 4 2013, 05:13 PM   #151
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile
Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I have witness some of the reactions to Robb and Catelyn's deaths and I am beginning to ask myself if I am normal or not. I have never been anywhere near close to getting as upset as some people do about a fictional character's death
Well, I can't claim to be normal, but I feel the same way as you do. I can't be nearly as sad or emotional as some of these people get, especially since these characters really weren't exactly favorites. I found their deaths unsettling and surprising, and perhaps somewhat impactful, but not worth getting in a frenzy about.
It was the brutality and the surprise that provoked such a strong reaction for me.

Maisie Williams is adorable, it's tempting to watch this on a loop - They dead

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 05:17 PM   #152
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I do wish the show had previously established the Westeros rules between a guest and a host. Without those, the Red Wedding wasn't quite as shocking as it was in the books.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 06:01 PM   #153
Anwar
Vice Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Awful lot of killing just because Robb Stark did not marry one of Lord Frey's daughters.
It wasn't just that, in the books Walder's oldest son (one of the only ones he actually liked) led the Frey forces that joined Robb and died battling the Lannisters for him. The one he intended to inherit the Twins (and one of the only diplomatic, intelligent Freys as well) was now dead.

On top of that, Robb was planning on leaving the Riverlands to go back into the North and wipe out the Ironman invasion meaning that the Twins would be a major target of the new Southern Alliance to get back to the North and there'd be no Northern defense from Robb.

Along with the disrespect of his Marriage Vow, all that combined is what set Frey off.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 06:08 PM   #154
superdeluxe
Captain

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
It was a good episode. I actually gave it an average rating, though. It's the first episode that didn't feel that eventful..

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 07:04 PM   #155
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Yeah, go figure...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 07:04 PM   #156
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Awful lot of killing just because Robb Stark did not marry one of Lord Frey's daughters.
I hope the "True Love" marriage was worth it for Robb.
Except that's not what he said: he distinctly said "To Blave," which we all know means "to bluff." So you're probably playing cards, and he cheated!

I'm gonna go grab me a nice MLT.
Old June 4 2013, 07:10 PM   #157
Starbrow
Lieutenant Commander

Anwar wrote: View Post
It wasn't just that, in the books Walder's oldest son (one of the only ones he actually liked) led the Frey forces that joined Robb and died battling the Lannisters for him. The one he intended to inherit the Twins (and one of the only diplomatic, intelligent Freys as well) was now dead.

On top of that, Robb was planning on leaving the Riverlands to go back into the North and wipe out the Ironman invasion meaning that the Twins would be a major target of the new Southern Alliance to get back to the North and there'd be no Northern defense from Robb.

Along with the disrespect of his Marriage Vow, all that combined is what set Frey off.
I think G.R.R. just wanted to shock his viwers/readers. There was so much more he could have done with this characters but just like with Ned, he threw the white flag.

I am guessing now, based on the movie episodes: with out the Wolfs the conflict is pretty much gone now, right? Who is going to fight Lannisters?
Starbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 07:12 PM   #158
Blue_Trek
Captain

Old June 4 2013, 07:15 PM   #159
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Starbrow wrote: View Post
I think J.R.R just wanted to shock his viwers/readers.
"Fuck that for a game of soldiers," said Frodo.
Old June 4 2013, 07:52 PM   #160
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Anwar wrote: View Post

It was a perfect storm for Tywin Lannister. Robb broke his vow, which angered Walder Frey. He executed Rickard Karstark, which alienated one more powerful bannerman. He had lost his home, Winterfell, to the Ironborn, which gave Roose Bolton the idea that it was time for someone else to rule the North. Tywin was masterful at coordinating all these aggrieved subordinates and uniting them in common purpose. Now, the Freys are placated, the Karstarks are revenged, and Roose Bolton is the big dog in the North. Not to mention the War of the Five Kings is basically over now.

I think G.R.R. just wanted to shock his viwers/readers. There was so much more he could have done with this characters but just like with Ned, he threw the white flag.

I am guessing now, based on the movie episodes: with out the Wolfs the conflict is pretty much gone now, right? Who is going to fight Lannisters?
Stannis is still out there. The alliance with the Tyrells is shaky. Dany has dragons and an army. The Others (White Walkers) are coming, eventually. The Brotherhood Without Banners is still on the loose. And of course, not all the Stark bannermen pulled a Roose Bolton and switched sides. The North remembers...
Old June 4 2013, 07:53 PM   #161
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I think you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but you're welcome to your opinion.

Life doesn't get pretty red bows at the end of a character arc with the plots wrapped up nice and tidy. Choices are made and those choices have consequences. In this world, the consequences are often death.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 08:30 PM   #162
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

superdeluxe wrote: View Post
It was a good episode. I actually gave it an average rating, though. It's the first episode that didn't feel that eventful..
Yeah, I understand why you're blinking, but that's still my reaction. I expected that it would be more of a battle and slaughter than it was. Pretty much everyone had left the room, the "Rains of Castamere" starts playing, and people are picked off like sheep with a few words thrown in. It was a nice episode, but I guess I just expected more.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 08:32 PM   #163
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Here's a question. Does anybody understand why Arya hates the Hound soooo much? I get that he's done some wrong, but is he that bad?

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 08:36 PM   #164
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

This is what makes the show so interesting - the characters follow their standard arc, I had worked out entirely what would happen to Rob as he would slowly win the war (because he's clearly one of the heroes) and then... BLAM they are dead.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 08:40 PM   #165
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Here's a question. Does anybody understand why Arya hates the Hound soooo much? I get that he's done some wrong, but is he that bad?
Her hatred for him was sealed when he killed her friend Mycah. Sure, to the Hound he was just doing is duty to his liege Joffrey - what is one butcher's boy in the world? But it was Arya's friend.