A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 31 2013, 07:25 PM   #376
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

How expensive are the blu-rays with subtitles? Where can you get them?

-Chris
Old May 31 2013, 07:37 PM   #377
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Pretty expensive right now. You can find them all on eBay (and some on Amazon), but they're averaging between $99 and $120. And they're I think only a couple of episodes per disc. WAY to pricey right now. I'm hoping a full series production set will eventually be released once the show is complete that will be a little more affordable.
Old May 31 2013, 09:36 PM   #378
Ithekro
Commander

With the currect exchange rate, it is far cheaper to buy directly from Japan via either Amazon.co.jp or CDJapan

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use Amazon.co.jp because I think it works better for me. CD Japan work for others. Amazon.co.jp also makes finding Yamato 2199 stuff easy since you can search for it under "2199"

With the exchange rate the cost is about $60 US dollars a disc and $20 shipping. If you get all 5 discs out now you'd save on shipping. Last one I bought cost about $78 with shipping.

Last disc will be out September 25th for a total of 7 discs.

Disc 1 = 2 episodes, but also about $10 cheaper.
Disc 2 - 7 = 4 episodes each.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 04:27 AM   #379
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Ithekro wrote: View Post
Having seen the episodes now with subtitles (the BD arrived yesterday). I can say that there isn't much to add to the summeries. Their may be some detail things I got better for understanding them, but he general stuff was understood before that.
My Blu-Ray is still "in customs". If past experience is anything to go by, I won't have it until Tues. June 4, 2013. (Must avoid spoilers)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 11:40 PM   #380
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I will say, I didn't quite like how easily one of the plots was solved, but at least the pieces seem to be set for the final push.

I do like how the human side has been handled though. Was the original anime/cartoon as complicated as this one is in terms of the grey zones that the humans operate in? Or was it more simplistic in terms of our heroes being perfect?

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2013, 05:48 PM   #381
Ithekro
Commander

The original was not so much grey zone, since it was written in the 1970s for teenagers.

The crew wasn't perfect though. Kodai and Shima get in a fist fight over the collection of fustrations over the course of a month being stuck in one location in space. It would take three months to fly around it, but they were not sure if there was a safe route though it. But the storms prevented them from advancing (some sort of nebula)

Aihara jumped ship in one episode because of the depair and longing for home. (I mean he got in a spacesuit and jumped out the airlock to drift home...which was maybe 70,000 light years away).

Kodia questioned the nature of war after they reached the end. No longer sure if they should have fought the Gamilas.

Plus there was the day they captured a Gamilas pilot. Kodai wanted to murder him, but stopped himself, and then prevented the pilot from committing suicide in his Emperor's name.

There was still a mutiny in the original version, but it happened on Iscandar. Those that didn't think they would make it back in time wished to stay. I'm nit sure if that wasn't allowed, but they wanted to be able to reproduce the human species on Iscandar...and there was only one woman on Yamato....and Yuki didn't want to stay.

The crew wasn't perfect, but the new version has more grey areas, especially when the politics of Earth get involved.

Also the mecha page updated with the remainder of the Gamilas carrier fleet and fighters.

http://yamato2199.net/mecha/index.html

Last edited by Ithekro; June 3 2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old June 4 2013, 01:54 AM   #382
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

That last bit about staying on Iscandar is kind of hilariously creepy.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 08:55 AM   #383
Ithekro
Commander

The thing is that the Iscandarian Mutiny technically was successful. It was about a dozen guys from Engineering. Lead by Yabu (the Chief Engineer's chubby assistant) They kidnapped Yuki and stole a boat to get to a little island. They had basically won.

There were two things. One: Starsha said they couldn't stay there as the island was about to explode and sink into the sea. And Two: They had Yuki.

Before Kodai could even really do more than start to negotiae with then, the island blows and most of them die. Yuki manages to survive, but she's injured.

Mutiny solved by natural causes, and a rescue operation that manages to only save the hostage because everyone else is dead before they arrive.

The new version is more interesting even if it does also get solved quickly. But is it completely solved? Will the mutineers cause problems later on? I have some faith in Niimi (her heart seems to be in the right place even if her mission wasn't the same as everyone else), but none in Ito (he's a snake in the grass), and Yabu is afraid and a pessimist about the mission as it is.
Old June 4 2013, 02:19 PM   #384
cbspock
Rear Admiral

It almost sounds like the new series has a sort of nuBSG edge to it. I can't wait to see it.

-Chris
Old June 4 2013, 02:46 PM   #385
Leroy
Fleet Captain

137th Gebirg wrote:
Pretty expensive right now. You can find them all on eBay (and some on Amazon), but they're averaging between $99 and $120. And they're I think only a couple of episodes per disc. WAY to pricey right now. I'm hoping a full series production set will eventually be released once the show is complete that will be a little more affordable.
That's normal pricing for the Japanese video market. It's always been that way it's not unusual to have a DVD/BD cost anywhere between $50-$80, have no subtitles , let a alone a dub, and feature only 1 or 2 episodes at most per disc. Media in the Japanese market is way different than the US one, they are considered to be more of a high priced collectors item than something you'd pick up casually at a local Wal-Mart for $5.

I highly doubt a complete series series release would be any cheaper. For example season Blu-Ray sets for the Legend of the Galactic Heroes series go for around $500 and this is not unusual at all.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:01 PM   #386
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Leroy wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote:
That's normal pricing for the Japanese video market. It's always been that way it's not unusual to have a DVD/BD cost anywhere between $50-$80, have no subtitles , let a alone a dub, and feature only 1 or 2 episodes at most per disc. Media in the Japanese market is way different than the US one, they are considered to be more of a high priced collectors item than something you'd pick up casually at a local Wal-Mart for $5.

I highly doubt a complete series series release would be any cheaper. For example season Blu-Ray sets for the Legend of the Galactic Heroes series go for around $500 and this is not unusual at all.
From what I understand, the Japanese are very into renting physical media of shows, which is part of why the prices are so high for DVDs/BDs (because these are the wholesale prices to rental outlets, not a marked down retail price).
Old June 4 2013, 03:12 PM   #387
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, it's short-sighted business practices like this that encourage video piracy to thrive. Bootlegs are inevitable.
Old June 4 2013, 07:38 PM   #388
Ithekro
Commander

Yet they still managed to sell over 32,000 units of BD and DVD in the first week for Chapter 5.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=610059
Old June 4 2013, 07:48 PM   #389
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yet they still managed to sell over 32,000 units of BD and DVD in the first week for Chapter 5.

You beat me to the punch with the BD/DVD rankings. ANN only listed the top DVD rankings list.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-may-27-june-2

In only seeing the short preview for chapter 6, it seems that there is something afoot aboard the Yamato with a crew member? It seems there will be more intrigue. Also a kidnapping too.
RangerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 12:49 AM   #390
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Yep - just picked my Blu-Ray up from the Post Office this afternoon - will watch Disc 5 tonight. (Ordered Disc 6 after I got back from the Post Office too. )
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote