Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 4 2013, 07:27 AM   #1696
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

thumbtack wrote: View Post

Pretty much everything is, relative to expectations. Hangover 3 is 97.7 million behind Hangover 2, and Man of Steel is now tracking 10 million lower than it was just a month ago.

World War Z, Lone Ranger, Pacific Rim and The Wolverine are all tracking weak. For whatever reason, Americans are just not going to the movies right now.

Into Darkness could end up being one of the few bright spots in a bad summer for Hollywood.
A bit off-topic, but the reason Americans are not going to the movies right now has to be because of two reasons.

First, for whatever reason, heroes that we are supposed to root for are shown as weak and unable in the first-impression-lasts-long advertisements. Look at ST-ID first poster: its the Enterprise falling to Earth after taking a bad beating. Pacific Rim: Jaeger Gypsy Danger broken in half and bowing down in defeat. Man of Steel: Superman.. bloody fucking SUPERMAN in handcuffs!!! Seriously, who the fuck wants to see weak pathetic heroes?

Second, the blockbuster movies are just crammed in hard with no space to breathe. If someone likes a movie they will go multiple times. However, if a new movie comes out just one week after a movie you liked its hard to justify going to see the same movie again vs. a new movie that also attracts your senses. Studios are just rushing to get first dollar but in the long run they are losing patrons.

Just my $0.02.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 08:41 AM   #1697
I am not Spock
Commodore

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
If someone likes a movie they will go multiple times. However, if a new movie comes out just one week after a movie you liked its hard to justify going to see the same movie again vs. a new movie that also attracts your senses. Studios are just rushing to get first dollar but in the long run they are losing patrons.

Just my $0.02.
I have seen STID three times so far. I might go a fourth. Nothing else out at the moment interests me. Don't care for IM3, Man of Steel, or F&F.

I will usually just go and see the movie I like multiple times. I saw Prometheus twice last year, and Skyfall three times.
Old June 4 2013, 01:44 PM   #1698
TommyW
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The title of the film is the problem - and I don't mean the "Into Darkness" bit A lot of people are put off by Star Trek in general. It's just not "cool" like Star Wars and other similar franchises. Will take years and years of a more mainstream Trek to shake off that stigma. Maybe it never will.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 01:55 PM   #1699
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

thumbtack wrote: View Post

Pretty much everything is, relative to expectations. Hangover 3 is 97.7 million behind Hangover 2, and Man of Steel is now tracking 10 million lower than it was just a month ago.

World War Z, Lone Ranger, Pacific Rim and The Wolverine are all tracking weak. For whatever reason, Americans are just not going to the movies right now.

Into Darkness could end up being one of the few bright spots in a bad summer for Hollywood.
A bit off-topic, but the reason Americans are not going to the movies right now has to be because of two reasons.

First, for whatever reason, heroes that we are supposed to root for are shown as weak and unable in the first-impression-lasts-long advertisements. Look at ST-ID first poster: its the Enterprise falling to Earth after taking a bad beating. Pacific Rim: Jaeger Gypsy Danger broken in half and bowing down in defeat. Man of Steel: Superman.. bloody fucking SUPERMAN in handcuffs!!! Seriously, who the fuck wants to see weak pathetic heroes?

Second, the blockbuster movies are just crammed in hard with no space to breathe. If someone likes a movie they will go multiple times. However, if a new movie comes out just one week after a movie you liked its hard to justify going to see the same movie again vs. a new movie that also attracts your senses. Studios are just rushing to get first dollar but in the long run they are losing patrons.

Just my $0.02.
Your second point makes sense, the logjam of summer movies dispersing the summer movie budget. However the first seems like whimsical speculation based on some personal view of the human condition rather than any type of pattern analysis. I suppose someone could speculate that it depends on the moon and the tides or some astrological reason and have as much credence as your "patrons don't like movie posters with weak heros on them so they skip those films" theory.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 02:20 PM   #1700
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Again, the May domestic box office had the highest attendance in the last 10 years. The contention that Americans are going to the movies in lower numbers than usual so far this summer is inaccurate.
Old June 4 2013, 02:30 PM   #1701
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek's considered one of the May success stories right now.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:06 PM   #1702
ralph
Captain

Box office news

STID took fourth place in its fourth week, grossing an additional $2.9 million on its way to a $35 million total in the UK.

STID made a solid landing in China, with the film grossing $25.8 million in its first six days on release.
Old June 4 2013, 04:15 PM   #1703
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^I contributed to that UK 2.9mill
Old June 4 2013, 05:59 PM   #1704
beamMe
Fleet Captain

1.348.112 sold tickets for STID in Germany as of 2nd June. It's now officially more successful than ST (09) here.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 06:07 PM   #1705
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I wish we always had attendance numbers instead of or in addition to dollars. That way inflation wouldn't matter.
Old June 4 2013, 06:22 PM   #1706
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

ralph wrote: View Post
Box office news

STID took fourth place in its fourth week, grossing an additional $2.9 million on its way to a $35 million total in the UK.

STID made a solid landing in China, with the film grossing $25.8 million in its first six days on release.
For people who know more about it than I...

If the numbers from China are out why aren't those numbers included on BOM? They have Hong Kong listed but not China.

Those China numbers a HUGE! According to BOM the number from China was 8.5 million for the entire run.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 06:25 PM   #1707
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
For people who know more about it than I...

If the numbers from China are out why aren't those numbers included on BOM? They have Hong Kong listed but not China.
BOM keeps the foreign total up to date, but their updates for individual countries can lag behind by a matter of weeks.
Old June 4 2013, 06:28 PM   #1708
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
I wish we always had attendance numbers instead of or in addition to dollars. That way inflation wouldn't matter.
If inflation makes a difference when comparing ticket prices, then total population size, which also increases steadily over time, makes a difference when comparing attendance. Since I've been alive, the U.S. population has increased by over 50%!
Old June 4 2013, 06:48 PM   #1709
beamMe
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
If inflation makes a difference when comparing ticket prices, then total population size, which also increases steadily over time, makes a difference when comparing attendance. Since I've been alive, the U.S. population has increased by over 50%!
But not since 2009.
Germany's population is shrinking - so: STID is even more successfulererer.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 06:51 PM   #1710
Belz...
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Yeah but what I want to know is how many tickets were sold.