Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 3 2013, 11:58 PM   #1
The Wormhole
Admiral

John Harrison was more interesting than (SPOILER)

Been thinking, with all said and done and the supposed renegade Starfleet officer John Harrison revealed to be Khan, I've come to realize, I was more interested in the fiction of the John Harrison persona than I am in Khan. Khan's been done, and while STID didn't retread Space Seed or TWOK with what they did with Khan, doing something completely new doesn't hurt either. In all honesty, I believe the movie could have been improved had the villain actually been Commander John Harrison, renegade Starfleet officer turned terrorist fighting for ideology instead of Khan taking revenge out on an Evil Admiral.

And the movie wouldn't have to be changed that much. Harrison could still rip the transwarp beaming to go to Qo'nos. If they made his backstory some sort of Starfleet special ops badass that could explain how he'd last against the Klingons, and from there you can still have Evil Admiral Marcus wanting Harrison out of the way and making it personal. Kirk still decides to work with Harrison board Vengeance, Harrison still betrays Kirk and kills Marcus. No magic blood means Kirk couldn't die and therefore That Scene wouldn't have happened (I'm fine with that). It is kind of unlikely a regular human could have survived Vengeance's crash, just say Harrison somehow managed to transwarp beam out, so he's still out there, just not an immediate threat, which is basically the same situation we have with Khan.

Hell, all making the character Khan did was possibly make thing marketable, but then Khan was a secret so the movie didn't really captilize on that marketing potential, and even now the cat's out of the bag it isn't exactly bringing in money hand over fist.

So what does everyone else think? Would John Harrison be more interesting than Khan?

Last edited by The Wormhole; June 4 2013 at 12:29 AM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 12:04 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: John Harrison was more interesting than (SPOILER)

I wouldn't have been against him being John Harrison or anothet Augment simply because I don't think they did a very good job distinguishing Cumberbatch as Khan.

There was nothing in the film that just screamed this needs to be Khan, besides Spocks scream.

Though I still love the film.
Old June 4 2013, 12:27 AM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
There was nothing in the film that just screamed this needs to be Khan, besides Spocks scream.
Pretty much. Hell, Orci even said the creative process was to create a new character and then that character was named Khan. Should have stuck with the new character.
Old June 4 2013, 12:35 AM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

It does feel like somewhere in the process they went from Harrison to the Khan/Harrison villain. Maybe as late as shooting the film.

I think the Harrison facade could have been done away with completely and wouldn't have changed the movie much, as well.
Old June 4 2013, 12:45 AM   #5
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Khan beats John Doe Harrison in every shape or form. But I agree they should have just dropped the whole plot-twist angle. It wasn't a plot-twist. It was obvious over a year a head of time to anyone paying attention, and it added nothing to the movie.

If they would just gone Khan from the get go, I think everything would've been better for it. They could have honed Cumby's look a bit more, for one thing. But the big thing is it would have added badly needed publicity. The entire ad campaign (poster, trailers, commercials) would have all been changed for the better IMO.
Old June 4 2013, 03:26 AM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

If this movie had been "nameless assistant villain gets used by evil Admiral to start a war" I'd have been bored.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 03:36 AM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
If this movie had been "nameless assistant villain gets used by evil Admiral to start a war" I'd have been bored.
I don't know. I think it would've depended on what type of background they built for the character. I definitely think that being either Harrison or Khan would've cleared up some of the problems that came from them using both. It felt muddled.

Plus, I think Cumberbatch could've made John Harrison an interesting character.
Old June 4 2013, 02:03 PM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
It would have been the same damn movie, pretty much. Is the name Khan really the only thing that kept your interest?
Old June 4 2013, 02:04 PM   #9
newtontomato539
Commander

Nope.

John Harrison IS Khan Noonien Singh.

The movie is making money hand over fist.

There is going to be a 3rd and 4th movie.

Bad Robot Star Trek Lives!
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 02:06 PM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

newtontomato539 wrote: View Post
It's getting pwned at the box office by The Fast and the Furious. The Fast and the Furious. I think we have different definitions of "making money hand over fist."
Old June 4 2013, 04:10 PM   #11
The Stig
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
It's getting pwned at the box office by The Fast and the Furious. The Fast and the Furious. I think we have different definitions of "making money hand over fist."
Cripes. No one expected STID to gross more than Fast and Furious. At this rate, STID is on track to outpace the gross of Trek 09 by 50-90 million dollars. It will be the highest-grossing Trek feature ever made.

It's doing just fine. The next film will absolutely crush overseas.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:16 PM   #12
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I'd suggest putting aside whether it would've made more or less money with Khan present or absent. That's impossible to determine. Do I think it would've been a better creative choice to not have Cumberbatch be Khan? Yes. I'd prefer that he be a different augment, one who was woken by factors in the new timeline instead of Khan.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

^Over on Oh No They Didn't, more than a few of their contributors have toyed with the idea that Cumberbatch should have been Joachim masquerading as Khan to throw off authorities. It would further add to the idea that Harrison can't be figured out and that Khan is again one step ahead. Indeed, Cumberbatch has a slight resemblance to Judson Scott.

Of course, that's Monday morning quarterbacking, and Joachim never did anything *nearly* as impressive as Cumberbatch's Khan in TWOK.
Old June 4 2013, 10:10 PM   #14
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Ooooooh, I like that quite a bit.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 10:17 PM   #15
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Do some damned research and you'll see that the F&F franchise always makes tons of cash.